LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Should i Buy This 2016 LX 570?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 09:41 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
What's wrong with the X5? The diesel gets decent gas mileage for an SUV and the xDrive50i is a 12-second SUV that's almost as fast as the current Mustang GT and does a 0-60 in a similar time as the Porsche Cayenne Turbo(at a far lower price than the Turbo's $114,000 MSRP). Fairly impressive for a 5,100 lb SUV. While it does normally seat 5 with a fairly spacious cargo area, you can always get the 3rd row seating for children if it's needed.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the X5: here I have compared the engine variants, including acceleration times: http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1121787 The 30/35d which I own is amazing on snow, but it is not designed for nor marketed as an offload vehicle. It offers immense torque, more than the LX, and offers 6000 lbs of towing. As I have both the LX and the X5, I am not biased in the pros and cons of each.

You can also see the MPG results http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1081659. Most exceed the highway rating, and EPA two weeks ago cleared them of any emission issues. The '16 diesel had stopped production until EPA cleared them, and they have begun taking '16 orders.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-21-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 12:43 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As a previous Land Rover owner, I can honestly say that it really was almost a perfect SUV: rode like a bank vault on rails, precise steering, no body roll to speak of, unique styling, great power....but really...a borderline lemon that required monthly visits to the service department and stress of never knowing if the damn thing would die on a road trip. As much as I liked it, I vowed to never ever own a British or German auto, with warranty or without. LX is definitely competent, problem free and unique in its own right, but clearly lacks the sheer driving excitement of its counterparts.
Old 12-20-15, 12:48 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by yakim
As a previous Land Rover owner, I can honestly say that it really was almost a perfect SUV: rode like a bank vault on rails, precise steering, no body roll to speak of, unique styling, great power....but really...a borderline lemon that required monthly visits to the service department and stress of never knowing if the damn thing would die on a road trip. As much as I liked it, I vowed to never ever own a British or German auto, with warranty or without. LX is definitely competent, problem free and unique in its own right, but clearly lacks the sheer driving excitement of its counterparts.
That's it.

Lexus can overcome a lot by improving the infotainment system though. If I had an iDrive controller in the LX I would seldom miss the X5. That and a proper surround camera.
Old 12-20-15, 12:59 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
What's wrong with the X5??? Everything is wrong with the X5...

It can't go off road, and it is not as good as 5 series on road, so completely missing the point for an SUV... and the design was just so old and ugly... my dad's 2000 BMW looks exactly the same as today's car...

And good luck owning a German car after warranty expired, especially BMW
So, again, please actually address the question. All I read was your opinions on looks and the typical warranty argument, which was previously addressed.
Meanwhile, look at this X5 that's totally not offroad:
Old 12-20-15, 04:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I do think my 10' GX ride better than my LX now LOL... which is not good haha, but maybe I still hasn't get use to it or maybe I'm too old to remember correctly how the GX ride anymore

But one thing the LX did much better for sure is going over speed bump, especially at angle, the rear feel much better

If the GX has an update with all the new interior this year I may just get the GX instead
after reading your statement, i think the LX is definite NO at this point. I dont see a lot of people rushing out to buy them. There are about 40 in my area alone. The prior gx you had was buggy and didnt ride good. Go try the newer luxury GXs and they ride just about similar to the LX on road or even better imho given the responsive 6 speed tranny.
Old 12-20-15, 11:39 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
after reading your statement, i think the LX is definite NO at this point. I dont see a lot of people rushing out to buy them. There are about 40 in my area alone. The prior gx you had was buggy and didnt ride good. Go try the newer luxury GXs and they ride just about similar to the LX on road or even better imho given the responsive 6 speed tranny.
10' GX I owned before is the same as today just less aggressive looks haha
Old 12-20-15, 11:46 PM
ybing
Intermediate

So, again, please actually address the question. All I read was your opinions on looks and the typical warranty argument, which was previously addressed.
2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d Off-Road Test Drive on Everyman Driver - YouTube
To me that's not consider "off road" not going to start an argument here, every statement is just personal view and feels, doesn't matter how bad a car or a brand is will still have loyalty owner

I'm not a fan of BMW, but I respect M series; just like I don't like MB expect S class & their amazing AMG tunes

Oh and addressing the question part, all my personal feeling about BMW

Hard seats
Boring interior
Boring exterior
Complicated system set up
Unnecessary firm ride
Heavy Steering
Unreliable electrical issue

Just don't let me get into details of it, which will be endless

For going on a track, yes 100% I will take a BMW than Lexus especially M series, but for everyday driving just no thanks

Anyways... I would like to see if X5 can handle the following test (anyone understand Russian can translate? Maybe bias to LC, everything was shoot in the LC

Last edited by ybing; 12-21-15 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 11:56 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MattBianco
That's it.

Lexus can overcome a lot by improving the infotainment system though. If I had an iDrive controller in the LX I would seldom miss the X5. That and a proper surround camera.
The biggest disappointment for Lexus is that infotainment system, which is so damn outdated Still not supporting multi language is the biggest complain I have

The new joystick is a bit better but I do still prefer a touch screen for much quicker input

Not really like the iDrive or all the German system with the turn **** but the handwriting touch pad in the new German car is very nice feature... not like the stupid touch pad system in Lexus, which looks like will be ditched what a waste of time and $

Another thing is I totally don't understand what Toyota is thinking to not support Apple Car Play or Android Auto and go for a Nav app system which I already forget the name and not bother to look up again... The best map system for me is always Google maps, I really wish someday I can use that on my big screen...

Nothing wrong with the current Lexus map design to me, I still think that is very nice, but is the address and map updating part which fall way behind, and the traffic update is just miles off, at least in my area, 2AM in the morning not a single car on the road and it shows red
Old 12-21-15, 07:31 AM
MattBianco
Driver

The biggest disappointment for Lexus is that infotainment system/.........:

I agree.

- Features are blocked whilst driving
- It won't display a five word text message, but it puts up a paragraph of text in small font when you want to connect to an already paired music source
- When you have reached the last preset station in the FM station memory settings, advancing farther does not loop around to the first memory point. It decides it is time for your to go Sat radio.
- The USB port is in the wrong place. I am hoping to move it actually
- Playlist folders work with Bluetooth, but not as an iPod device (what the _ _ )
- The scroll button (tune) does not work for artist search. It is an alpha sort and is always on A, and I have 6000+ songs on my player, with about 300 artists. Getting to XX is a nightmare
- Buttons have excessive colors and graphics and look like a v-tech game
- it won't let you see all the songs by an artist and only has the option to see them grouped by album
- there is no way to see what song is next playing from USB or bluetooth
- Album art should be a main feature, but is given minimal space, and won't work with Bluetooth. It also won't show on HD radio.
- I still have not figured out how to "seek" stations, vs. scan.
- Why are part of the climate control touch screen controlled and others with buttons?
- you can see navi summary in the instrument cluster but not media/radio info which could go in the same place.
- why no surround camera like you see on much cheaper cars? And split screen showing camera and parking sensors?
- Why is the camera button hidden behind the steering and only discoverable by feel?
- Why are some drive control buttons stability control one the left side of the dash while others on the center console?

... there is more. I bite my lip because of the reliability and and space the car offers.

Also, above said, the Mark Levinson setup is really impressive.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-22-15 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 08:12 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's just a simple gravel road... any sedan would have made it.
Old 12-21-15, 10:54 AM
MattBianco
Driver

@NickTee, here they are both in my driveway....

I don't enjoy driving the LX as much, and no way would I take the X5 off road. They are not comparable vehicles other than they both have AWD systems.

The BMW is not an SUV and it is marketed as an SAV. It is a unibody construction and much more comfortable as a daily driver. The LX is body on frame, and more apt for rougher roads and off road.

Unless you need more than five seats (X5's 7 seat configuration is a joke), or have a need for off road driving, the X5 is a far better car to drive, albeit with more upkeep cost after warranty. If you want long-term reliability, more than 5 seats, have a need to go off road, are not bothered by mush feel of the drive and inferior infotainmnet system, LX. If you need to all of those things, like me, you get both. As for traction, X5 beats the LX 470 on slippery snow/ice with equal tires. I am hoping the 570 does better than my 470 used to (I am not talking about 2 foot deep snow) .

As for me, I cannot say enough good things about the X5 diesel. Acceleration to 50 is head of the 35i engine, to 60 is faster than most gasser SUVs and sports sedans on the road. Add nearly 700 mile range and highway MPGs in the high 30s; it is very difficult to overlook if you don't need the unique attributes of the LX.

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-21-15 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-22-15, 12:56 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MattBianco
I agree.

- Features are blocked whilst driving
- It won't display a five word text message, but it puts up a paragraph of text in small font when you want to connect to an already paired music source
- When you have reached the last preset station in the FM station memory settings, advancing farther does not loop around to the first memory point. It decides it is time for your to go Sat radio.
- The USB port is in the wrong place. I am hoping to move it actually
- Playlist folders work with Bluetooth, but not as an iPod device (what the _ _ )
- The scroll button (tune) does not work for artist search. It is an alpha sort and is always on A, and I have 6000+ songs on my player, with about 300 artists. Getting to XX is a nightmare
- Buttons have excessive colors and graphics and look like a v-tech game
- it won't let you see all the songs by an artist and only has the option to see them grouped by album
- there is no way to see what song is next playing from USB or bluetooth
- Album art should be a main feature, but is given minimal space, and won't work with Bluetooth. It also won't show on HD radio.
- I still have not figured out how to "seek" stations, vs. scan.
- Why are part of the climate control touch screen controlled and others with buttons?
- you can see navi summary in the instrument cluster but not media/radio info which could go in the same place.
- why no surround camera like you see on much cheaper cars? And split screen showing camera and parking sensors?
- Why is the camera button hidden behind the steering and only discoverable by feel?
- Why are some drive control buttons stability control one the left side of the dash while others on the center console?

... there is more. I bite my lip because of the reliability and and space the car offers.

Also, above said, the Mark Levinson setup is really impressive.
Well I guess we can't have a perfect vehicle in out life Lexus always missing a bit to become a perfect car, maybe that's the trick so you can go buy a newer model

That's why I don't bother to use the screen for my audio stuff, main reason is I have Chinese words and it won't show Paired up my phone and let it play randomly