LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2006 LX470 Left Junction Block...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 11:53 AM
Coronadoca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 LX470 Left Junction Block...

2006 LX470 left junction block Hello friends
I need some help.

My wife's LX recently had several service lights come on, door locks won't work, then lock & unlock randomly, seat memory inop, side mirrors don't lower when vehicle put in reverse, etc. All of this happened at once, simultaneously.

Stealer diagnosed the left junction block for a mere $350 ... then asked me for $1180 more for replacement part & install. I paid them the $350 and brought it home.

I have several questions:

1. Why is there no information on changing the junction block on the net, YouTube, etc.? Surely someone has had this problem before me...

2. Does anyone know the part #? I can find it for the earlier models 99-05?? but not 06-07

3. Does anyone know a source to get this part at a reasonable price?

4. Has anyone ever taken theirs out, blown out the contacts with air, and put it back... successfully? Or is that too good to be true?

5. Is there any danger of setting off the airbags while replacing this part? I THINK it's a separate circuit, but I'd like some reassurance from y'all.

6. How in the world can this happen? This car is literally the mommy wagon, looks like new, says in climate-controlled garage, is never/rarely on salt roads (live in SC). We have multiple other 4wds that we use on the farm, snow skiing, towing boat, etc. It has never been in any mud/crud, towed with, off-roaded, or otherwise 'strained'.

Thanks

2006 LX470
Sand Dollar Pearl
Tan interior
nav/Levinson/all options
Old 07-22-15, 10:40 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Coronadoca
2006 LX470 left junction block Hello friends
I need some help.

My wife's LX recently had several service lights come on, door locks won't work, then lock & unlock randomly, seat memory inop, side mirrors don't lower when vehicle put in reverse, etc. All of this happened at once, simultaneously.

Stealer diagnosed the left junction block for a mere $350 ... then asked me for $1180 more for replacement part & install. I paid them the $350 and brought it home.

I have several questions:

1. Why is there no information on changing the junction block on the net, YouTube, etc.? Surely someone has had this problem before me...

Perhaps it's since failures are very uncommon?? I've been here for a short time, but on MUD since prior to buying my first LX in 2009; I've never seen a post regarding failure of the driver's side junction box.

Not to mention, imo, a set of shop manuals and the wiring diagram book cost about $150 on the web...not to mention there's a step-by-step process on R&R-ing the junction box.

2. Does anyone know the part #? I can find it for the earlier models 99-05?? but not 06-07

Should no longer be an issue since you wrote you have the part. Care to share the PN??

3. Does anyone know a source to get this part at a reasonable price?

I'd normally recommend either users cdan or beno on MUD as a start.

4. Has anyone ever taken theirs out, blown out the contacts with air, and put it back... successfully? Or is that too good to be true?

Not that I've seen. The general R&R process involves de-mating any connections from wire harness to the junction, moving them out of your way, and then removing the fasteners holding the block in place.

Ideally, a lift would be nice to have to do the work while you're standing. I'd have Advil handy if you do it on your back.

5. Is there any danger of setting off the airbags while replacing this part? I THINK it's a separate circuit, but I'd like some reassurance from y'all.

FIRST thing you do is to disconnect the + lead at the battery. With no power, the airbags are inherently safe. Any airbag harness is id'd with yellow tape.

When you write "separate circuit" I'm confused. If the dealer did a decent diagnosis, he would have advised which circuit has the problem...not the entire junction block.