LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

2000 LX470 Master Key Immobilizer questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 02:17 PM
CEO714
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 LX470 Master Key Immobilizer questions

Ok so I have a working Grey Key Valet key and I ordered a Master Key from Lexus, Parts told me why pay the 300 bucks to have it programmed when he said Instructions can be found on the web... After research I found No such info... So i cringe and make a service appt to have the master key programmed and the adviser called parts to confirm that it can be "Programmed" for the 2 hours of labor is 295. They Confirmed so she set me up and they take it in the back with the techs and 15 mins later she comes back to me and said it can not be programmed nor can the immobilizer be flashed from 98-2000 so she told me that I would need a new immobilizer and said that those are usually around $3000 I said hell no so she stepped away for 10 mins and came back and said because of all of the confusion and run around "Lexus" said that "If I order 1 more master key for 200 and pay the 295 programming fee that Lexus has agreed to eat the entire cost of the new immobilizer.

My question is is everything she stated true? Or did she try and make me feel special like I am getting a deal? Thank you in advance.
Old 01-28-14, 03:13 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All very true. There are instructions for programming two ways. 1 use the Lexus scan tool and enter programming mode. 2 fiddle with the door locks and brake and gas pedal.

But the long story short is that you need one working master to add new keys or you have to replace the ECU.

As a customer satisfaction issue Lexus USA may choose to eat the cost of a new ECU one time per vehicle lifetime. To keep from being in this position again, Lexus require at least two new keys be cut and programmed.
Old 01-28-14, 03:21 PM
CEO714
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Z07
All very true. There are instructions for programming two ways. 1 use the Lexus scan tool and enter programming mode. 2 fiddle with the door locks and brake and gas pedal.

But the long story short is that you need one working master to add new keys or you have to replace the ECU.

As a customer satisfaction issue Lexus USA may choose to eat the cost of a new ECU one time per vehicle lifetime. To keep from being in this position again, Lexus require at least two new keys be cut and programmed.
Alright thank you for your reply as they requested I ordered another master key and they ordered me a new ecu So my grand total would come out to 200 x2 for 2 master keys= 400+ Programming = 295 + new ECU Grand total of 695 for 2 master keys and a New ECU installed and Programmed still sounds pricey but at least I will have 2 masters and a Valet key all programmed and I will not have to be so paranoid with losing or breaking one of the master keys since I will have a spare.

I had another question since they are replacing the ECU during Programming do the techs have options to turn on or off things such as the DTR? Personally I hate DTR! I know on my BMW I had them turn off the DTR and toggle some other options. So can this be done with this?

Last edited by CEO714; 01-28-14 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 04:45 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CEO714
I had another question since they are replacing the ECU during Programming do the techs have options to turn on or off things such as the DTR? Personally I hate DTR! I know on my BMW I had them turn off the DTR and toggle some other options. So can this be done with this?
I don't know which options they can turn on or off or even which options they are allowed to run on or off but I do believe there are third party tools that allow you the owner/user to set the options the way you want. It certainly can't hurt to ask the tech directly vs asking the service writer.

EDIT: It may help your search to use the Lexus/Toyota name for the software switches. Search on "C-Best" for a list of things that are programmable.

Last edited by Z07; 01-28-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 06:24 PM
choosaaiza
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CEO714
Ok so I have a working Grey Key Valet key and I ordered a Master Key from Lexus, Parts told me why pay the 300 bucks to have it programmed when he said Instructions can be found on the web... After research I found No such info... So i cringe and make a service appt to have the master key programmed and the adviser called parts to confirm that it can be "Programmed" for the 2 hours of labor is 295. They Confirmed so she set me up and they take it in the back with the techs and 15 mins later she comes back to me and said it can not be programmed nor can the immobilizer be flashed from 98-2000 so she told me that I would need a new immobilizer and said that those are usually around $3000 I said hell no so she stepped away for 10 mins and came back and said because of all of the confusion and run around "Lexus" said that "If I order 1 more master key for 200 and pay the 295 programming fee that Lexus has agreed to eat the entire cost of the new immobilizer.

My question is is everything she stated true? Or did she try and make me feel special like I am getting a deal? Thank you in advance.
actually she told somewhat correct story ,however lexus has lost key programme, if you lose master , lexus will cover the cost for ecm and customer has to buy 2 master keys
Old 01-28-14, 07:16 PM
CEO714
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by choosaaiza
actually she told somewhat correct story ,however lexus has lost key programme, if you lose master , lexus will cover the cost for ecm and customer has to buy 2 master keys
is it because its a Crappy system and Japan Toyota never thought one would EVER lose or break there Master Key, And they feel somewhat responsible? lol
Old 01-29-14, 08:18 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I had taken our ignition apart a few years back to replace the broken shaft that causes the key to spin endlessly I had to disconnect the ring that goes around the ignition which has the RF antenna attached to it. When reassembling I forgot to plug the two wire harness back into the ring and the truck would not start due to immobilizer not getting the signal. Once I plugged it back in it fired right up but I always wondered if the two wires going to the antenna were just spliced together would this bypass the immobilizer and the need for programming the chip within the keys. Just a thought.
Old 01-29-14, 02:10 PM
bklx00
Driver School Candidate

I would try taking a test wire and using it to bridge the two wires together in order to test your theory. Seems plausible though.