LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Horsepower heaven.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 11:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I test drove a 460 and It did a good job of making the 4500 pound car feel like a 3500 pound car.

Not sure if its "fast" , but seems to have adequate power forsure, looking forward to taking another test drive soon, got my eye on a lovely low mileage L.

On a side note I was just thinking the same thing this morning, what a wonderful time it is to be a car enthusiast.

Cars seemed to peak in the late 60's - early 70's, and then .. they fizzled right out, to the point that id almost rather ride a horse and buggy compared to some of the crap they were producing.

Looks like we are definitely hitting the highest point ever in automotive history, and it seems to be getting better every year
Old 04-17-15, 06:47 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadfrog
to call the LS underpowered....uh no.
+1

Originally Posted by LexiJeff
Curious... I know there are threads about it, but since we're all here reading in this one, thoughts?
I've had computer tunes and chips on majority of my other cars, including trucks and Z06s, so I'm also very curious and hope there is something out there to give it more pep and increase efficiency at the same time. Although, I've read somewhere before purchasing that the Toyota ECMs are notoriously difficult to tweak, hence the lack of aftermarket computer tunes.
Old 04-17-15, 11:13 AM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Just wondering what sort of HP numbers you've had in your past.
Well, I have more of a past then some others here.

I had a 1966 Pontiac GTO that was rated as 335 bhp, but based on how horsepower is rated now it would certainly be less. Then the next two "high powered" cars I had were a 1978 Nissan 280ZX at 170 hp and a 1990 300ZX at 222 hp (even the twin turbo that year only had 300 hp).

My much loved 1995 Infiniti Q45a had 278 hp and I thought that was fairly decent. However, the Lexus blows it away. I remember when I first got it and we had a couple passengers in the rear seat. I accelerated quickly onto the highway and everyone was really impressed, including me!

Now the 612 has 540 hp, but in the crowded Northeast you really can't use it on most roads.
Old 04-17-15, 03:27 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiJeff
... I heard someone recently comment about Lexus being particularly receptive to ECU mods. Curious... I know there are threads about it, but since we're all here reading in this one, thoughts?
Personally, my opinion is if the vehicle is NOT forced induction (as our LS's are not), then ECU's / ECU mods are pretty much just money down the toilet. Playing with timing and stuff seems like playing with fire to me.

But you take a forced induction car, and there are really serious ways of increasing power. And generally not terribly expensive either. And if done correctly, not dangerous either. This is why if I were serious about adding power to the LS, it would be a 55 gallon drum of nitrous in the trunk.

When my engine was down in my FD, and I was trying to figure out what to do, I was within an inch of buying a used LS3. It would have got torn down and changed from a 6.2L to a 6.8L (415 cu in.). 3 things stopped me. It would have taken me a long time (but would have been FUN), I wanted to put the LS9 2.3L blower on it (but those things are ridiculously expensive), and this is the most silly thing, but it's true, I have a stinking mongrel that stays in the garage (with access outside) and she sheds hair terribly. And as long as it would take me to finish the engine, it would have had hair all in it ... covered or not.

I say that because not too long from now, I'm hoping to build a detached garage. One that the mongrel will never step foot into. Once I do, I would still LOVE to build an LS engine, up to 6.8L. Probably still wouldn't fork over the money for the blower. I work for the company that builds those stinking blowers, and I can't get a discount! It would be cool to put an LS 6.8L engine in the LS 460. Then I could change the emblem on the back to read LS 680L! That would be a blast. But ... who am I kidding. The 4.6L is so well refined, it would be a shame to ruin it with a GM engine.
Old 04-19-15, 04:07 AM
LS460LSKYE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just saying it isn't fast... and could use more power... but I'm not complaining with what it has... The LS460 is a great balance of everything, which is why I bought it, but it isn't great at everything. My happy zone for cars is between 11.5-13.5 second quarter mile times, anything faster is not needed, anything slower needs to be faster. LOL
Old 04-19-15, 06:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
So true. When I bouight my 88 Mustang GT 5.0, it turned the Automotive World on it's ****. 225 hp!!!! 300 ft/lbs torque, one of the fastest production cars of it's time. LOL. My neighbour's KIA has more hp now.

But, OMG.....the music that car makes from it's 302 cubic inches.....

I still have it and can't wait to take it out in the Summer.
Jeez, that's funny, I had an 88 Mustang LX 5.0, 5spd, hatchback. Fun car to drive because it was so light...actually I think it's one of the harder cars to drive in terms of clutch feel and lack of weight. A few years ago I owned a 2000 corvette 6spd - I think it had 350 hp, but man was that car fast. I took a Viper out for a test ride and the corvette just seemed to have more torque all the way through it's gears...down shifting in that thing was down right scary when you punched it. The Viper just didn't have as much smooth power...it just didn't feel good.
Old 04-19-15, 07:00 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Jeez, that's funny, I had an 88 Mustang LX 5.0, 5spd, hatchback. Fun car to drive because it was so light...actually I think it's one of the harder cars to drive in terms of clutch feel and lack of weight. A few years ago I owned a 2000 corvette 6spd - I think it had 350 hp, but man was that car fast. I took a Viper out for a test ride and the corvette just seemed to have more torque all the way through it's gears...down shifting in that thing was down right scary when you punched it. The Viper just didn't have as much smooth power...it just didn't feel good.
Anyone driven a hellcat?,wonder if it's just a four door viper rather than a CTS V like vehicle.