LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Heat and Nav display

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 02:52 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Heat and Nav display

A couple of questions on my 2011 LS sport

I use the heat and air on the Auto setting and just adjust temp up or down. I find it odd that when it calls for heat the air comes out of the dash vents. Seems it would make more sense to come out by the floor since heat rises.

Also I usually keep my Nav display screen turned off since I don't really use it much. Sometimes when I first get in the car and start the screen will come on. Not a big deal to turn it off. But about half the time the screen will not come on and will be turned off like I left it last time I drove the car.

Could I be doing something and not know it. It seems it should work the same way all the time.
Either comes on all the time or is off like the last time I drove the car.

Thanks
Old 12-10-14, 06:40 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Press the climate button and press the floor vent.
Old 12-11-14, 07:03 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R Z
Press the climate button and press the floor vent.
But then the fan is not on Auto.
Old 12-12-14, 05:04 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you get heat out of the center vents above the Nav display, or just from the side vents?

Typically, some air will "bleed" from the side vents.

If you're not getting any heat out of the floor vents, then something is wrong.

No idea about the Nav - I leave mine on.
Old 12-12-14, 05:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

regardless of where you set your HVAC, there will always be a slight discharge of the ar from various vents, incuding the face vents. For example, even if you manually set the vents to dscahrge from the floor, there is a little stil emitting from the defrost vents to a ratio I estimate at 90/10.

As for the NAV screen, I have no idea either, as I leave mine on all the time. I will say that I wish Lexus would have allowed that whatever screen I left it on the last time I drove it or after I use reverse and the cam comes on, that it would revert back to my last screen instead of back to the map every time.
Old 12-12-14, 07:25 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wbrian63
Do you get heat out of the center vents above the Nav display, or just from the side vents?

Typically, some air will "bleed" from the side vents.

If you're not getting any heat out of the floor vents, then something is wrong.

No idea about the Nav - I leave mine on.
Its full blast of heat from the face vents by the Nav. Very little out the under dash vents unless I use the Nav display to manually change to floor. Then it works.
Old 12-15-14, 04:55 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayh78
Its full blast of heat from the face vents by the Nav. Very little out the under dash vents unless I use the Nav display to manually change to floor. Then it works.
I cannot think of any situation where a "set it and forget it" automotive HVAC would push heated air in force out through the upper vents unless the driver selected it through the HVAC controls.

Sorry to ask a potentially stupid question, but the system is set to "AUTO", right?

If the answer to the question is yes, then something is wrong with the HVAC system.

Since you say you can get proper air flow to the floor by manually selecting it, then we can assume that the issue isn't with the actuators that control the dampers for air direction.

Does the system do a good job of keeping temp? If you set 75f interior temp when the cabin is above that number, does the A/C come on and blow nice cold air, reducing fan speed as the set temp is approached?

Likewise, if you set 85f interior temp when the cabin is lower than that, does the heat come on and blow nice hot air (nevermind where it's blowing it), reducing fan speed as the set temp is approached?
Old 12-15-14, 07:26 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wbrian63
I cannot think of any situation where a "set it and forget it" automotive HVAC would push heated air in force out through the upper vents unless the driver selected it through the HVAC controls.

Sorry to ask a potentially stupid question, but the system is set to "AUTO", right?

If the answer to the question is yes, then something is wrong with the HVAC system.

Since you say you can get proper air flow to the floor by manually selecting it, then we can assume that the issue isn't with the actuators that control the dampers for air direction.

Does the system do a good job of keeping temp? If you set 75f interior temp when the cabin is above that number, does the A/C come on and blow nice cold air, reducing fan speed as the set temp is approached?

Likewise, if you set 85f interior temp when the cabin is lower than that, does the heat come on and blow nice hot air (nevermind where it's blowing it), reducing fan speed as the set temp is approached?
Yes is set to auto.
Otherwise it does do a great job at heating the car. Just not used to heated air blowing in my face.
Also the fan speed self adjusts like it should when it gets to the right temperature.
Only problem seems to be getting the air to come out at the floor. Unless I use manual mode.

Thanks

Will just wait until the next service and get it checked out. Just wanted to confirm this gen LS should work like my other cars did in the auto mode. Also had first gen LS back in the 90's and no problems with that one either.
Old 12-16-14, 06:52 AM
RR601
Intermediate

It works now.
Started working like it should today.
My luck will screw up again after the warranty expires. Cant really expect them to find the problem if they cant duplicate it.