LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Key ownership acts to extend life

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 10:02 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I know there's a lot of talk about the "sweet spot" on oil changes, but I just dump mine between 5-6k. To me there are too many factors that can ruin a sweet spot...weather, traffic, etc.

I don't really think there is a specific oil one should use, as long as it's synthetic. Right now I have car quest synthetic 0w20, mixed with a couple of quarts of mobile 1 5w20. It doesn't matter, I'll be changing it at 5k anyway.

I am a firm believer of doing the tranny service at 60k on these things - that's just my belief - I know others don't feel the same way.

And I do recommend changing the antifreeze before 100k. And one thing for certain - avoid adding tap water to any of these cars!
If we are talking about severe duty then all of those are taken into consideration with the 10k oil change and I believe on some of the UOA from the Toyota oil that it could push 10k.
My Honda calls for 10k oil changes and I have done so since it was new and now I have over 120k on her and she is still going strong. With my Spyder I have tested the oil and found that it can go much longer then what I was changing it at so I extended the drain longer.
With the BMW the previous owner and I did 15k oil changes recommended by the factory and I sold the car at over 90k with a strong engine that didn't burn any oil.
If you use a synthetic oil in a modern car you don't have to live by the perpetual myths of oil change intervals. If in doubt the it is better to be grounded in the scientific method with test.

If you told someone 15 years ago that you were dumping your oil at 6k miles they would think you were crazy you didn't change it a 3k miles.

Usually these arbitrary numbers have no scientific bases and it is usually brought about by the unfounded logic that if you cut the oil change interval in half you will get twice the longevity.
If Toyota called for 20k oil changes then we would be back to the original 10k feel good interval.
Old 11-30-14, 06:02 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Have the transmission fluid serviced. At least every 60k. Both the manufacturer and Lexus, except only in the United States, have clear service intervals. Including Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, etc.. This is the same for the 04 - 06 LS430. Calling it a lifetime fluid is a marketing ploy and to cut own maintenance cost. Don't neglect it especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Clean the MAF sensor every 15k - 30k miles. It is first in line to get dirty after the air filter. Have the throttle body cleaned every 60k as well.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-30-14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 06:13 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
If we are talking about severe duty then all of those are taken into consideration with the 10k oil change and I believe on some of the UOA from the Toyota oil that it could push 10k.
My Honda calls for 10k oil changes and I have done so since it was new and now I have over 120k on her and she is still going strong. With my Spyder I have tested the oil and found that it can go much longer then what I was changing it at so I extended the drain longer.
With the BMW the previous owner and I did 15k oil changes recommended by the factory and I sold the car at over 90k with a strong engine that didn't burn any oil.
If you use a synthetic oil in a modern car you don't have to live by the perpetual myths of oil change intervals. If in doubt the it is better to be grounded in the scientific method with test.

If you told someone 15 years ago that you were dumping your oil at 6k miles they would think you were crazy you didn't change it a 3k miles.

Usually these arbitrary numbers have no scientific bases and it is usually brought about by the unfounded logic that if you cut the oil change interval in half you will get twice the longevity.
If Toyota called for 20k oil changes then we would be back to the original 10k feel good interval.
I respect your opinion - and honestly I may take your advice - but it will be hard...I'm old school regarding oil changes. Even going 6k makes me cringe, but I know you're most likely right. It's more piece of mind for me, and I work in the trade, so half the time I'm not even paying for oil.
Old 11-30-14, 06:16 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Have the transmission fluid serviced. At least every 60k. Both the manufacturer and Lexus, except only in the United States, have clear service intervals. Including Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, etc.. This is the same for the 04 - 06 LS430. Calling it a lifetime fluid is a marketing ploy and to cut own maintenance cost. Don't neglect it especially if you plan on keeping the can for a long time.

Clean the MAF sensor every 15k - 30k miles. It is first in line to get dirty after the air filter. Have the throttle body cleaned every 60k as well.
Agree 100%. I did mine at 72k and the fluid was black, not dark...black.

I'll be doing simple drain and fills yearly from here on out. It's only a few quarts anyway.
Old 11-30-14, 11:24 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I respect your opinion - and honestly I may take your advice - but it will be hard...I'm old school regarding oil changes. Even going 6k makes me cringe, but I know you're most likely right. It's more piece of mind for me, and I work in the trade, so half the time I'm not even paying for oil.
Trust me when I say I had exactly the same mindset as you over 15 years ago. I actually believed that frequent oil changes will extend the life of the engine but I had no evidence that was the case except that the information was passed down to me. There were also many myths about synthetic oil from mechanics and one oil manufacture decided to capitalize on the ignorance of the consumer (Royal Purple).
After I started doing extended drains, I was pushing oil from my usual 3k miles to 5k miles. I was a bit leery but nothing happened.
There is a lot of factors that have determined fluid change intervals and one of the big ones is the technology. The problem is that people are not moving with what is acceptable because of unfounded myths.
I have met people that have gone 25k miles on their synthetic oil and it wasn't because of neglect as they knew exactly what they were doing with the selection of oil, filter change interval and frequent oil analysis. There was one example that had over 350k on the motor.

Last edited by Devh; 12-01-14 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 03:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by robert1408
I suggest avoiding doing full throttle off the line starts too often. Your car has a load of cv axles, several u-joints and flex couplings, engine and trans mounts plus diff mounts and isolators. If ANY ONE of them is overly abused the power train will loose some smoothness. Certainly all these components are designed to take a certain amount of abuse, but overdoing it will shorten their life. Plus, proper diagnosis of a problem relating to these parts is very difficult and the parts and labor very expensive.
I agree. The the first few miles of driving, the car should be driven normally with less load on the engine and drivetrain until everything warms up.
There were those people like myself long ago that thought it was a good idea to let a car warm up by idling for 15 minutes or more when the car is first started but it turns out it is not good idea and it also serves no benefit.

It is a good idea on a cold morning to let the car idle for a few minutes tops and then slowly start driving normally which means you do not place excessive load or race the engine.
Once the car reaches operating temps then you can do as you please. On the BMWs they set the limiter on the rpms until it get warm so you don't damage the engine. Lexus could have implemented a cut off also because my other Toyota engine will not allow me to go past 6k rpms into lift until the engine is warm enough.
Old 11-30-14, 09:05 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for these great tips about war up driving until operating temps are reached.
Old 12-01-14, 07:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

When I was running Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 7 series BMW, I went approx 15k miles between changes and each time my Blackstone oil analysis advised me that I could go at least another 2k miles. I never did, because I was content with my 15k intervals.
Old 12-01-14, 09:59 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
When I was running Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 7 series BMW, I went approx 15k miles between changes and each time my Blackstone oil analysis advised me that I could go at least another 2k miles. I never did, because I was content with my 15k intervals.
Forget what we do here in north America as far as oil change intervals. Extended oil change has been proven on a large scale by the Europeans.