LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Distance you went to get your car

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 06:27 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Distance you went to get your car

For those of you that had to travel to get your 460 how far did you go? Anyone fly in and drive home in their new car? I'm currently looking all over the nation and have found a couple of interesting cars 1,500 to 1,800 miles away from my hometown.

What was your experience like if you had to travel out of state to find the right vehicle?
Old 11-04-14, 06:53 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I had no option but to fly out of state. Everything in my area was over priced and the dealerships were playing games. I ended up with a much better newer car with low millage and it was still under the factory warranty. I also got exactly the color combo I wanted and didn't have to settle.
The drive back was a pleasure especially when you are getting to know the features of your car.
Old 11-04-14, 07:10 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I drove about 300 miles away to pick up mine. Best ride home ever. Got to play with every switch and experience the ride.
Old 11-04-14, 07:49 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Greg, I too had the best ride driving about 700 miles home.

I flew from Sacramento to Salt Lake City to purchase a 2008 CPO. The dealership picked me up at the airport. Paperwork was waiting when I got there. Took it for a test ride, came back in, signed the paperwork and started driving home. The only thing I could have done different is to spend a little more time on the test drive and go over everything inside and out with the car before signing. Not that anything was wrong, but I wasn't as thorough as I normally would have been. My fault for letting my perm-a-grin get in the way.

Before flying out to buy the car, I checked with the local DMV to ensure what documents they would need to get the car registered in California. Once I got back into town, I got it Smog tested (which was required). After a week or so I got a letter in the mail that the DMV had the paperwork from the dealership. I went in, had a VIN Verification done, paid the sales tax and registration fees and walked out. All done.
Old 11-04-14, 07:50 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I bought mine 1952 miles away and had it shipped home. Cost was $1080, cheaper than flying&driving back.
Old 11-05-14, 09:41 AM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove about 150 miles left my IS there drove the LS home. Caught the train back to pick up my IS......... really wanted that LS.....:-)
Old 11-05-14, 11:03 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I drove about 400 miles to trade in my LS400 for my 430. No regrets at all. There were a few minor things I needed to fix but this is almost always the case. I fell in love with a single owner, all service records, and a rare interior/exterior color combination and just had to have it.
Old 11-05-14, 11:49 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

I flew from Memphis to Dallas to buy my 05 LS430 back in 08. The 500 mile drive home was a nice ride. Last month I drove my LS430 about 160 miles up to Cape Girardeau, Missouri and left with the 08 LS460. That 160 mile drive home was a pleasure cruise! And, it rained the entire way home.

I actually had my eye on an 09 LS460 with 62,000 miles (10K more than the one I bought). But the thought of driving my 430 to Fort Worth and driving home in the 460 just wasn't intriguing to me at their price. Now, had I been able to sell the 430 outright, it might have made more sense. But even then, by trading my car, I paid less tax on the new one.
Old 11-05-14, 11:52 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I drove about 400 miles to trade in my LS400 for my 430. No regrets at all. There were a few minor things I needed to fix but this is almost always the case. I fell in love with a single owner, all service records, and a rare interior/exterior color combination and just had to have it.
not trying to be mean or anything but I wonder why you keep lurking and posting in the 460 forums?

and most of the time to bash the 460..

I thought the 430 owners had their own forums here.

PS: got mine about 35 miles away ...still too far away to go take advantage of the free lifetime car washes...
Old 11-05-14, 01:19 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

we have purchase 4 Lexus from Chicago area (400+ miles away), and one Lexus from Indianapolis area (180 miles away)

3 times i have flown to Chicago and driven back with a new car

we go to the Chicago area because there is way more competition which gets you similar cars for much less money, and there is a greater chance of finding lower mile cars...
Old 11-05-14, 01:28 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
we have purchase 4 Lexus from Chicago area (400+ miles away), and one Lexus from Indianapolis area (180 miles away)

we go to the Chicago area because there is way more competition which gets you similar cars for much less money, and there is a greater chance of finding lower mile cars...
Everytime I look for 600's there seems to be a lot of Ls's in the Chicago area. Wonder why that is?
Old 11-05-14, 01:28 PM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes

the selection is great here in the Chicagoland area...no wonder I found mine within couple of weeks of looking

Prices seemed pretty high at the time but I did negotiate about $4700 off the asking price (having countless print outs with me for the negotiation from other LSs for sale of course)
Old 11-05-14, 01:50 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by escapedcon
the selection is great here in the Chicagoland area...no wonder I found mine within couple of weeks of looking

Prices seemed pretty high at the time but I did negotiate about $4700 off the asking price (having countless print outs with me for the negotiation from other LSs for sale of course)
it helps that you have 2 McGrath's, Naperville, Woodfield, Bredemann, Palatine, Orland & Merrillville so close together so the competition is hot! if you want the lowest mile cars then look for the Downtown McGrath where the clients there primarily live in the city and drive 3000-5000 miles a year. My car was only driven about 2000 miles per year...

Of course California is the same way with about 30 something dealerships.
Old 11-05-14, 02:46 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

5 miles - just up the road to the Carlsbad Lexus dealer for a good deal on a one-owner LS.

Sometimes ya get lucky.
Old 11-05-14, 03:01 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Not for my LS, but I flew to Denver for my former LX470 and Vegas for my Honda.

If you're in Cali, be mindful of the DMV rule that you have 21 days to register the vehicle you just bought out of state and brought in the state. Sometimes out of state dealers don't send paperwork to your local DMV within those 21 days, or some dealers give you temporary dealer operating permit that expire before your DMV has your paperwork. If the dealer permit expires, you can ask the dealer to send you an extension, or DMV can issue you an temp operating permit. There is a very stiff fine if nothing is done within those 21 days. One time my paperwork got to my local DMV one week late, and I was supposed to pay a $900 fine, but lucky for me I brought the car in for DMV verification within the 21 days. I had to write a paragraph explaining what happened. A smog test and DMV verification are needed.

Quick Reply: Distance you went to get your car