LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Regular, Mid-Grade, or Premium?
Regular
10.00%
Mid-Grade
0%
Premium
90.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 12:31 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by pmiller
Stop being a tight wad!!!
Ha!

Just got back from 2 weeks in northern California. All grades of gas are more expensive there but the regular/premium difference is only 20 cents/gallon whereas here in central North Carolina it's 50 cents a gallon. Someone's making a sh_tload of money off us!
Old 07-09-14, 05:47 PM
Dryrunner
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The east coast is fed primarily from Texas based refineries. Each refinery loads into a few pipelines that then dump into tanks and then to gas stations. So all brands but Amoco premium, are mixed together. The only difference is the additives added at the local tankfarms just before delivery at the station. So in North Carolina, all the big oil refiners are putting the screws to you.
Old 06-15-18, 01:29 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ls. Premium vs. regular fuel

I would not do it, but I have had a number of drivers that said they use regular fuel even though their vehicles specified (required or recommended) premium. I had a 430 and now have a 460 and always used premium and always tried to use top tier fuel. Even heard of LS owners who used regular. What are the long term consequences of using regular instead of premium? I know differences in power etc, but what else's?
I have a buddy with a new Acura MDX who has plenty of money, but will only use regular. Said he read in a AAA publication that regular was OK to use in any vehicle.
Any thoughts or information about this would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-18, 02:39 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Default Premium vs regular fuel

any long term consequences to using regular fuel not premium in ls460
Old 06-15-18, 04:47 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't know about long term as I have had my 07 only three months now but I do know that I accidentally filled it with regular once and the idle became lower and quite ragged.
The following users liked this post:
Richardgil (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 05:14 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

Richardgil

Welcome to the LS forum. This issue has been beat to death. I believe the general consequence is this: If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. The LS requires 91 Octane or better and if that is out of your reach then maybe you should rethink buying an LS. Yes it hurts to pump the 40-50 cent more a gallon fuel that the LS requires but that is the nature of the beasts that we drive. Again welcome.

Dennis
The following 4 users liked this post by DJWLDW:
corpnupe85 (06-21-18), Mythicalni (11-07-21), Parrokeete (10-31-21), Richardgil (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 06:04 PM
Richardgil
Rookie

Default regular vs premium

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Richardgil

Welcome to the LS forum. This issue has been beat to death. I believe the general consequence is this: If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. The LS requires 91 Octane or better and if that is out of your reach then maybe you should rethink buying an LS. Yes it hurts to pump the 40-50 cent more a gallon fuel that the LS requires but that is the nature of the beasts that we drive. Again welcome.

Dennis
thanks. I would never do it, like mechanical things and this car too much
Old 06-15-18, 06:23 PM
colfax
Intermediate

Burning regular in an engine designed for premium on a long-term basis or under heavy loads can cause engine knock, and that in turn can damage the pistons, valves or spark plugs. Due to the presence of knock sensors and the car's ability to retard the spark timing, you might not hear knocking, but that doesn't mean premium is unnecessary.

from cars.com
Old 06-16-18, 04:18 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I stopped using premium fuel at some point in my LS460 ownership, what I discovered was under a load (going up big hills, heavy acceleration) I would get some hesitation. That was about it - which was fine with me because I drove a ton of mikes every week - and I probably was saving maybe $500-$600 bucks a year. Not huge, but after a few years I probably saved $1,500 or so.

I traded my car in at 178,000 miles. At that point it began "using oil". I was going through a quart every 1,000 miles. Was it because I damaged the engine because of the fuel? I'm not sure. I tend to think no because of the way I drove and the type of commuting I did. My drive was flat highway, 80 miles round trip everyday. Easy. But maybe it was because of that...maybe the rings were **** because if engine knock and the pistons rattling off the cylinder walls? I never experienced any sort of engine knock that I could hear (and I know what it sounds like). And the knock sensors in these cars act very quickly to quickly retard timing. But who knows?

I will say that there are many people who have experienced oil consumption at high mileage with the 460 (and many other cars right now). Google oil consumption with any car brand, you'll be flooded with complaints from almost every car out on the road right now. They say manufacturers did so much to improve fuel economy - including adding low tension rings - it's no wonder engines are burning oil. Add in direct injection and 10,000 mile oil changes?? Most modern cars I'm seeing with over 150,000 on the clock are experiencing oil consumption to some degree (especially direct injection cars).

Old 06-16-18, 06:26 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

PREMIUM gas for me!
I own and keep all my cars until they start "nickel and diming" me so I go to great lengths to "pamper" them for years of service so "IF" the engineers who designed them say to run a premium blend of gas I listen to them, because they are highly qualified about what is good for the engine....... When you do the math it costs "a little more" to keep the car happy and running the way it should.
Engine knock is bad and it is the way your engine is telling you that is not happy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chuckinnj:
corpnupe85 (06-21-18), Richardgil (06-19-18)
Old 06-16-18, 08:25 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Cars don't have feelings. Humans have feelings. Car can't be happy or sad.
Do whatever makes you happy or sad.

As far as why engineers decided for premium?...
“Most automakers are looking at higher compression to increase efficiency. Raising octane allows that with minimal other changes to the engine,” said Mark Christie, vice president for engine engineering at the U.S. arm of engineering consultant Ricardo. It’s simpler and less expensive than adding new technologies, and a building block to make those technologies
even more effective.

Higher octane is the most cost effective way to reduce greenhouse emissions, GM global propulsion systems chief Dan Nicholson.

Rererence:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ers/100716174/
Richardgil (06-19-18)
Old 06-16-18, 09:38 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

The ls460 engine has 11.8 compression ratio. That’s very high. Using low octane subjects the engine to constant detonation that after the engine sees it the motor tries to compensate for. I am not surprised that some regular users are reporting oil use early.

i hope they buy a car in the future that has had the motor possibly damaged from improper fuel. Some one is buying theirs. Only fair
The following 2 users liked this post by Caflashbob:
DavidinCT (06-21-18), Richardgil (06-19-18)
Old 06-18-18, 08:37 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

I used regular gas for 3 years in my '07. Never noticed any difference (and I'm quite picky about responsiveness and acceleration). I use premium in my '14 but am thinking of switching over to regular at 70 cents a gallon less. (I remember, before 2008, premium was 10 cents a gallon more than regular at $2.50 - $3.00 a gallon for regular). Somebody's making big bucks out of us premium users!
lexman52 (10-30-21)
Old 06-18-18, 09:01 AM
colfax
Intermediate

Burning regular in an engine designed for premium on a long-term basis or under heavy loads can cause engine knock, and that in turn can damage the pistons, valves or spark plugs. Due to the presence of knock sensors and the car's ability to retard the spark timing, you might not hear knocking, but that doesn't mean premium is unnecessary.

from cars.com
Richardgil (06-19-18)
Old 06-18-18, 09:18 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I tend to view this as I would the human body, which can consume just about anything. You have 2 thin people with one eating healthy foods and exercising most of their life; whereas the other thin person lives like Trump. We see nothing different at age 45, 50, 60, etc....but then the differences surface on the unhealthier person even tho they were thin their entire life-- earlier onset dementia, higher blood pressure and cholesterol, clogged arteries, etc.

Nothing surfaced until age caught up with them. I suspect our cars are similar, with some folks squeezing 300K miles on a bad diet (87 octane) and others only 150K on a good diet (91+ octane). However, these are the outliers, statistically, we don't know, at least not us mortal humans, what Lexus/Toyota data says about octane levels on car longevity. We tend to operate on anecdotal info, which often serves our view on things.

My point, if gas price is an issue, perhaps one should reconsider what car to own.
Richardgil (06-19-18)

Quick Reply: Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)