LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I8ABMR'S LS460 TSIB reviews for wind noise, seat comfort, b pillars, and aux port

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default I8ABMR'S LS460 TSIB reviews for wind noise, seat comfort, b pillars, and aux port

Hey guys I just picked up my car last night after the car being there for 4 days. I wanted to give a quick review to the effects of the tsib on the car and any positives or negatives associated with them

WIND NOISE TSIB:

POSITIVE: They did the glass replacement with added insulation AND the JMcraney fix. JMcraney himself sent me two of the metal pieces that go behind the triangle pieces. I gave these pieces to my tech and showed him the club Lexus thread. He said no problem to do that while he took care of the other parts of the repair. The car is now totally free from that wooshing sound that was happening around the edge of the door ( where the glass meets the frame of the door ). There is absolutely reduced noise from cars passing. I would estimate 80% decrease in the wooshing sound and about a 50% decrease in the sound of cars passing by. My service advisor said it was the quietest LS he has ever driven ( thanks to JMCraney my car is the first at the dealership to have the added insulation that the JMCraney fix provides )

NEGATIVE: The obvious concern when they remove the door panels is always going to be residual vibration in the doors from the stereo or a squeak when weight is applied to the door panel. In my case I have an extremely mild rattle in the door with some tracks when the stereo is above 30 -32. I do listen to house music and down tempo/ chill out music so the music is laden with heavy bass and solid beats. I contacted my service advisor and they said they will fix it with some added insulation ( its minor)

SEAT COMFORT:

POSITIVE: The added padding is mainly in the middle and is a huge improvement over the original pad. You will no longer feel that hard area underneath your tail bone. What really helped me was the altered profile to the side bolsters on the base of the seat.The original pad had the bolsters very rounded at the sides. This shape created some serious pressure points on my outer thighs, especially after sitting on a hard Dr's stool all day ( it hurts my butt right now as I type this). The side bolsters are significantly flatter and this makes the seat a lot more comfortable for a big guy like my self. When you are 6'5" and weigh 320 lbs your bottom sits on top of the bolsters not in between them . In my opinion the leather is just as soft as the original leather it just needs to be conditioned. All in all the wrinkles are not a lot to take considering the car used to hurt my bottom and thighs when I was driving

NEGATIVE: The seat cushions were replaced on both sides. The odd thing is that the drivers side entails replacing the pad and cover whereas the passenger side comes preassembled with the pad and cover already put together by Lexus. This results in some wrinkles in the seat leather that are minor but noticeable. The passenger side looks totally stock as it did before. I added some photos that my service advisor e mailed me to show me

B PILLAR:

POSITIVE: The changed B pillar cover profile has reduced the chance of your back or bottom rubbing against the b pillar cover as you get in or out of the car. The cover is now flatter and doesnt extend the arm rest in the door

NEGATIVE: None that I can think of right now.....unless you rest your arm on the extended piece from the b pillar ( not likely at all)

AUX PORT: This has not been done yet but I will have this done at the next visit. I stopped them at the recent visit because I was worried that removing the wood on the console would create squeaks and rattles in the console like I had in my GS350 and I don't ever want a car that rattles like that thing again. After driving the ES350 loaner for a week with no aux whining noise (like driving in a car with an aftermarket stereo that has not been grounded. When you accelerate you hear a whining sound in the speakers that increases with increasing the rpms. I was going to take her back in on monday to have this done but they said they will need to order the part again so I will get this done in a month or so at my next service and I will let you guys know if this added any rattles or squeaks to the center console.

All in all I am pretty pleased with the way all of this turned out but the important thing is to remember that when they take stuff apart it doesn't always go back in perfect order but the Lexus techs will always do their best to remedy an unwanted noise ,rattles, wrinkles, or squeaks
Attached Thumbnails I8ABMR'S LS460 TSIB reviews for wind noise, seat comfort, b pillars, and aux port-securedownload.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-29-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-29-11, 01:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

here is the passenger seat
Attached Thumbnails I8ABMR'S LS460 TSIB reviews for wind noise, seat comfort, b pillars, and aux port-securedownload.jpg  
Old 02-01-11, 02:04 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi all,

just about to trade my Toyota Tundra for a 2008 LS 460 so i'm getting acquainted with these forums.

i'm a noob here and a noob to the TSIB's.... can someone explain them? i know for a fact that i do have this wind noise problem so i'd like to get that fixed. i'm also considering the other ones as well.

how do these work? will Lexus do the TSIB fixes free of charge even if the car is out of warranty or is there a charge?

i'd like to get the insert pieces from jmcraney for the dealer to install as well... any advice on how to get these?

thanks for all advice. i'm looking forward to getting to know these boards better.
Old 02-01-11, 05:04 PM
vancouverl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would not buy a ls460 out of warranty .having it for even a few months with warranty will allow you to take care of any problems the previous owner neglected to attend to as well as the ability to put an extended warranty on it .your 2008 should still have warranty unless it has passed the required miles
tsbs are only done free of charge if the problem is confirmed and present and the car is still under warranty .
Old 02-01-11, 10:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Just mention that there is a problem and they will confirm and perform the tsib. No issues at all. Lexus customer service is stellar
Old 02-02-11, 11:47 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vancouverl
i would not buy a ls460 out of warranty .having it for even a few months with warranty will allow you to take care of any problems the previous owner neglected to attend to as well as the ability to put an extended warranty on it .your 2008 should still have warranty unless it has passed the required miles
tsbs are only done free of charge if the problem is confirmed and present and the car is still under warranty .
the car is my father's actually... it was his company vehicle. it has been dealer serviced since it was new. it has 98K miles most of which are highway.

i'm going to trade him my truck plus some cash on top.

the only issue i've ever really noticed with the vehicle is the wind noise and the occasional acceleration hesitation when i really stomp on the pedal.

I8ABMR... so they'll fix these issues free of charge?

those Vossen rims you have are sick... i really like the VVS-CV1's.
Old 02-02-11, 01:55 PM
vancouverl
Driver

the car is out of warranty and i very much doubt that lexus will cover any tsb .do you have extended ? seing you know the history of the car makes a differance .i doubt lexus will attend to your issues maybe there is something im missing that 18ABMR knows .
Old 02-02-11, 02:57 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vancouverl
the car is out of warranty and i very much doubt that lexus will cover any tsb .do you have extended ? seing you know the history of the car makes a differance .i doubt lexus will attend to your issues maybe there is something im missing that 18ABMR knows .
well if they won't then i guess i'll just have to tackle the jmcraney windnoise fix on my own
Old 02-02-11, 03:38 PM
vancouverl
Driver

have you had the valve spring recall done?if you have you will still have 2k warranty left (as the power-train was extended to 100k ) which may take care of power train issues. id attend to that right away and investigate the acceleration hesitation issue as it may be covered under power-train id mention the wind noise and see what they say .Lexus is very reliable but you want to deal with any issues while you can.good luck
Old 02-02-11, 07:43 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I8ABMR, what dealer did your work?
Old 02-03-11, 01:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Bell Lexus in Phoenix. They were rated number one in 2010 for customer satisfaction for all Lexus dealers. Every time I leave there I am so impressed I feel like I have to call Lexus to tell them what an amazing job they are doing. When I had my Infiniti they had me listed with corporate as a "problem customer" I know this because my brother in law worked for Nissan/ Infiniti customer service and looked me up. Infiniti will most likely never see a dime of my money. The service was average at best and the car are always having little issues
Old 02-05-11, 10:45 AM
MartinM
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2008 and I want to get the seat and pillar fix. So far I have not been impressed with the customer service that i have recieved from the service department and I have a feeling I'm going to get hassled when I ask for these fixes. What's the best way to approach these repairs with them? Should I reference specific tsib? The seat really bothers me and the pillars are showing wear signs.
Old 02-05-11, 01:26 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinM
I have a 2008 and I want to get the seat and pillar fix. So far I have not been impressed with the customer service that i have recieved from the service department and I have a feeling I'm going to get hassled when I ask for these fixes. What's the best way to approach these repairs with them? Should I reference specific tsib? The seat really bothers me and the pillars are showing wear signs.
Print these and bring them with you to the dealership:
Old 02-05-11, 02:39 PM
MartinM
Driver School Candidate

Great, thanks
Old 02-06-11, 03:12 PM
vancouverl
Driver

do they do the back part of the drivers seat with this tsb .thanks .meaning do they change the seat cover on the back part as well