LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Toyota recalls LS, other models for valve spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 05:42 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Lexus cRs past and present but I don't think they're perfect. They are great though and the best carsI've ever owned. My last 59 cars have been Lexus and I suspect my next cars will be as well. All that said, they're just cars. If they never have a problem, or are nothing but problems doesn't reflect on me. I didn't build it. Injust bought it.
Old 06-23-15, 12:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Thread cleaned up from some childish behavior. Let's get it back on topic from this point forward.
Old 03-30-17, 03:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
That's the key. I have a Mercedes E350 that has defective camshafts. They built a bunch of engines with a bad supply of cams that didn't have proper heat treating. Over time the cams wear down and need to be replaced. That requires the engine to be pulled, split and neutered. Running rate is about 8-9K for a repair or a swap of a used or reman engine.

MB didn't fix them if they failed out of warranty (60K) and wouldn't recall them. They got sued (class action) and the settlement was full reimbursement or repair if it failed before 80K miles. Between 80 & 125K miles they'll pay a %. Over 125K it's nothing.

Who expects to make an engine where you tell people that it should not be expected to last more than 125K miles nowdays? For a lux car maker like Mercedes to say their car shouldn't be expected to last longer than that for a core engine part is amazing to me. I grew up when the stories of Mercedes cars making a million miles were not uncommon. Now they give medallions out for making 150K. That's how not to take care of an issue.
Its all a case of out sourcing the parts manufacture to countries with a work force that does not care about quality. And since all the materials likely also come from said country where the Quality control is nonexistent, the materials are then also lacking. And that is why in the industry I worked for it was specified that there could be no use of materials from certain countries, because of incorrect chemistry of the materials and inclusions it them, that is small trash that is imbedded in the metal and will cause stress cracking and failure. With all the law suits and the poor customers getting the mess, I would hope large manufactures can see there is no cost savings out sourcing for cheap parts. Sorry to resurrect this but it was an interesting read.