LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2009 Lexus LS460 AWD : a front & rear rapid rumble-pounding: no OBD code

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 02:04 PM
lusi2009
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 Lexus LS460 AWD : a front & rear rapid rumble-pounding: no OBD code

At about 150,000 miles, my 2009 Lexus LS460 AWD started eminating a front & rear rumble-pounding, thud-li-ness, grumble, muffled thumpish rapid road rythym
,when I drive over rough road surfaces (e.g.: scarified asphalt, cobblestones,etc ) at ANY speed, that it had NOT previously uttered when driving over those
IDENTICAL roads & surfaces. In addition, the rear of the vehicle is "bouncy" after traversing a road dip ("bouncy" like an older, non-air suspension system, vehicle
behaves with worn rear shocks) Tires are not unevenly worn; alignment w/i last 10k miles, no master warning light, no warning on the multi information display, no
OBD codes present, no brake shoe rattle, no loose items in trunk, nothing dangling/loose on underside of vehicle, no mud clinging to the tires, no rattling, no clanging,
hood & trunk fully secured. When performing the stationary Bounce Test: the rear of the vehicle is VERY stiff (barely bounces), while the front of the vehicle bounces
ONCE (while idling the results are the same if the center console suspension switch is in: "sport", "comfort" or neither mode. Also, when I push the center console
"Height/High" button, NOTHING happens). Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and/or the 1st 10 diagnostic tests I should perform OR which
scanner or analyzer or software might be the best to diagnose this problem? Thanks.
Old 03-24-17, 02:05 PM
lusi2009
Driver School Candidate

Default 2009 Lexus LS460 AWD : a front & rear rapid rumble-pounding: no OBD code

At about 150,000 miles, my 2009 Lexus LS460 AWD started eminating a front & rear rumble-pounding, thud-li-ness, grumble, muffled thumpish rapid road rythym
,when I drive over rough road surfaces (e.g.: scarified asphalt, cobblestones,etc ) at ANY speed, that it had NOT previously uttered when driving over those
IDENTICAL roads & surfaces. In addition, the rear of the vehicle is "bouncy" after traversing a road dip ("bouncy" like an older, non-air suspension system, vehicle
behaves with worn rear shocks) Tires are not unevenly worn; alignment w/i last 10k miles, no master warning light, no warning on the multi information display, no
OBD codes present, no brake shoe rattle, no loose items in trunk, nothing dangling/loose on underside of vehicle, no mud clinging to the tires, no rattling, no clanging,
hood & trunk fully secured. When performing the stationary Bounce Test: the rear of the vehicle is VERY stiff (barely bounces), while the front of the vehicle bounces
ONCE (while idling the results are the same if the center console suspension switch is in: "sport", "comfort" or neither mode. Also, when I push the center console
"Height/High" button, NOTHING happens). Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and/or the 1st 10 diagnostic tests I should perform OR which
scanner or analyzer or software might be the best to diagnose this problem? Thanks.
Old 03-28-17, 02:47 PM
lusi2009
Driver School Candidate

At about 150,000 miles, my 2009 Lexus LS460 AWD started eminating a front & rear rumble-pounding, thud-li-ness, grumble, muffled thumpish rapid road rythym ,when I drive over rough road surfaces (e.g.: scarified asphalt, cobblestones,etc ) at ANY speed, that it had NOT previously uttered when driving over those IDENTICAL roads & surfaces. In addition, the rear of the vehicle is "bouncy" after traversing a road dip ("bouncy" like an older, non-air suspension system, vehicle behaves with worn rear shocks) Tires are not unevenly worn; alignment w/i last 10k miles, no master warning light, no warning on the multi information display, no OBD codes present, no brake shoe rattle, no loose items in trunk, nothing dangling/loose on underside of vehicle, no mud clinging to the tires, no rattling, no clanging, hood & trunk fully secured. When performing the stationary Bounce Test: the rear of the vehicle is VERY stiff (barely bounces), while the front of the vehicle bounces ONCE (while idling the results are the same if the center console suspension switch is in: "sport", "comfort" or neither mode. Also, when I push the center console "Height/High" button, NOTHING happens). After the car sits DORMANT for several hours, when I get into the driver's seat (I am 6ft. 200lbs.), I can hear that same muffled rumble thump ONCE....but when I get into the driver's seat AFTER the car has been running (even for just several minutes), that singular muffled rumble thump does NOT occur. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and/or the 1st 10 diagnostic tests I should perform OR which scanner or analyzer or software might be the best to diagnose this problem? Has anyone used the Windows/Laptop Scanner/Analyzer software from auto enginuity, which allows you to use your lap top as a scanner or analyzer Thanks

Last edited by lusi2009; 03-28-17 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 03:15 PM
lusi2009
Driver School Candidate

scanner or analyzer or software might be the best to diagnose this problem? Has anyone used the Windows/Laptop Scanner/Analyzer software from auto enginuity,
which allows you to use your lap top as a scanner or analyzer Thanks.
Old 03-28-17, 03:21 PM
lusi2009
Driver School Candidate

At about 150,000 miles, my 2009 Lexus LS460 AWD started eminating a front & rear rumble-pounding, thud-li-ness, grumble, muffled thumpish rapid road rythym ,when I drive over rough road surfaces (e.g.: scarified asphalt, cobblestones,etc ) at ANY speed, that it had NOT previously uttered when driving over those IDENTICAL roads & surfaces. In addition, the rear of the vehicle is "bouncy" after traversing a road dip ("bouncy" like an older, non-air suspension system, vehicle behaves with worn rear shocks) Tires are not unevenly worn; alignment w/i last 10k miles, no master warning light, no warning on the multi information display, no OBD codes present, no brake shoe rattle, no loose items in trunk, nothing dangling/loose on underside of vehicle, no mud clinging to the tires, no rattling, no clanging, hood & trunk fully secured. When performing the stationary Bounce Test: the rear of the vehicle is VERY stiff (barely bounces), while the front of the vehicle bounces ONCE (while idling the results are the same if the center console suspension switch is in: "sport", "comfort" or neither mode. Also, when I push the center console "Height/High" button, NOTHING happens). After the car sits DORMANT for several hours, when I get into the driver's seat (I am 6ft. 200lbs.), I can hear that same muffled rumble thump ONCE....but when I get into the driver's seat AFTER the car has been running (even for just several minutes), that singular muffled rumble thump does NOT occur. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and/or the 1st 10 diagnostic tests I should perform OR which scanner or analyzer or software might be the best to diagnose this problem? Has anyone used the Windows/Laptop Scanner/Analyzer software from auto enginuity, which allows you to use your lap top as a scanner or analyzer Thanks

Last edited by lusi2009; 03-28-17 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 10:02 PM
lusi2009
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by lusi2009; 03-28-17 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 08:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Control arms?
Old 03-31-17, 01:34 PM
lusi2009
Driver School Candidate

Roadfrog, I appreciate your reply. But if it were the control arms, why after the car sits DORMANT for several hours, when I get into the driver's seat (I am 6ft. 200lbs.), I can hear that same muffled rumble thump ONCE ?....but when I get into the driver's seat AFTER the car has been running (even for just several minutes), that singular muffled rumble thump does NOT occur.? Thanks