Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS460, LS460L and LS600h
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Gas: Premium vs. Regular advantages, disadvantages (merged threads)

Old 06-11-14, 08:05 AM   #196
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

sydtoosic

I put reg. in my tank once, mistakenly. Instead of using the gold pump I used the green ( not paying attention). Noticed that the car burned through the reg. faster than if I'd used premium... Didn't notice a difference in performance etc. but I never used reg. again.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 06-11-14, 09:54 AM   #197
sktn77a
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Wow, don't come to NC...... our green pumps contain diesel!

2010 Toyota Prius
2008 Lexus IS250
2007 Lexus LS460
2005 Toyota Prius
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 06:03 AM   #198
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Lbintab

I only use the best I can get. Here is 91. What are the thoughts of running e85
lbintab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 06:28 AM   #199
peteybabes
Lead Lap

Peter Kenimer

You cannot run e85!

It's very corrosive, and the car has to specifically be set up to run with this fuel, with stainless steel fuel lines, etc.

conversions are possible, but doing so aftermarket means tearing apart the entire engine/fuel system and would be looking at $10k+ for work.
2007 LS 460 L - Smokey Granite Mica with Gray interior. Has the Executive Class Seating Package. Minor mods include full white LED interior lights swap, Crystal "start" ring, upgraded "hybrid" gray birdseye maple/chrome shift ****, HID fogs, 2 sets of wheels and a bunch of plans/dreams!

SOLD: 2001 LS 430 UL - Silver on Ecru with several mods
peteybabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 09:33 AM   #200
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Lbintab

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteybabes View Post
You cannot run e85!

It's very corrosive, and the car has to specifically be set up to run with this fuel, with stainless steel fuel lines, etc.

conversions are possible, but doing so aftermarket means tearing apart the entire engine/fuel system and would be looking at $10k+ for work.
So where would we run into a problem with the 460 fuel system? I don't see lexus using metals that aren't stainless steal in the fuel system. I know a bunch of the performance guys running it on their cars for the octane benefits. I know they aren't replacing the entire fuel system. Fuel rails are stainless. They get higher flowing fuel injectors and fuel pump.
Old 06-12-14, 09:58 AM   #201
peteybabes
Lead Lap

Peter Kenimer

I'm sorry, maybe i've jumped in a little deep here, but i know that on my previous car (LS430) that this was not the case, and was told by a local shop that the fuel delivery components would have to be modified.

From what i understand as well, this fuel would need a different engine program/tune, and that E85 is usually combined with a high compression engine.

When you say you know guys who are using it, do you mean on an LS460??
2007 LS 460 L - Smokey Granite Mica with Gray interior. Has the Executive Class Seating Package. Minor mods include full white LED interior lights swap, Crystal "start" ring, upgraded "hybrid" gray birdseye maple/chrome shift ****, HID fogs, 2 sets of wheels and a bunch of plans/dreams!

SOLD: 2001 LS 430 UL - Silver on Ecru with several mods
peteybabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:31 AM   #202
jayclapp
Lexus Test Driver

Higher octane fuel allows a higher compression level before knock occurs. Once you determine the octane level that prevents knock occurance, using any fuel with increased octane level has no effect on increasing engine performance. You would have to increase the engine compression level to have any additional performance, i.e., rework the engine to have a higher compression.

BOOMER SOONER!
jayclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:41 AM   #203
LexFather
Lexus Fanatic

mike_vossen

Wow 29k views on using gas for a flagship LS. Mind blown Over the years here we have had every gas thread possible and there is never an end, just people backing their thoughts on regular vs premium. The battle wages

No matter what you use, the V-8 guzzles, that is for sure!

2014 LS F sport ||2014 IS F sport Build for SEMA 2013 for Lexus by Vossen, click here for the full build
2013 GS F sport click here for build || 2007 GS 450h modified click here for build
Past: Quite a few modified Lexus cars
#teamvossen
My First Post, All Good Things, Must Come to an End

Last edited by LexFather; 06-12-14 at 10:45 AM..
LexFather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:55 AM   #204
sktn77a
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbintab View Post
So where would we run into a problem with the 460 fuel system? I don't see lexus using metals that aren't stainless steal in the fuel system.
Most all automobile manufacturers recommend against using E85 (unless the car is a Flex-Fuel car). Don't know why, but it's there in the owner's manuals. Originally, ethanol was frowned upon because it degraded rubber fuel lines (mostly in boats, lawnmowers, etc) and absorbed water (in engines that sat without use for long periods of time). Being a boat owner, I know that the majority of boats built over the last 10-12 years can now use gas containing up to 10% ethanol, but not 15%. Go figure.

2010 Toyota Prius
2008 Lexus IS250
2007 Lexus LS460
2005 Toyota Prius
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 06:00 PM   #205
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Lbintab

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteybabes View Post
I'm sorry, maybe i've jumped in a little deep here, but i know that on my previous car (LS430) that this was not the case, and was told by a local shop that the fuel delivery components would have to be modified.

From what i understand as well, this fuel would need a different engine program/tune, and that E85 is usually combined with a high compression engine.

When you say you know guys who are using it, do you mean on an LS460??
I'm talking about performance guys using it on cars that are older and less technologically advanced cars. Cars that would probably succumb to corrosion of it's fuel system but none of them have had any ill effects. Brazil is a country where there are over 10 million cars that run on e85. Majority are cars that didn't come from the factory with the ability to run e85...what did they do so they could run it.
Blox Evolution Teaser Video

Blox Evolution behind the camera
Old 06-12-14, 07:33 PM   #206
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

sydtoosic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexFather View Post
Wow 29k views on using gas for a flagship LS. Mind blown Over the years here we have had every gas thread possible and there is never an end, just people backing their thoughts on regular vs premium. The battle wages

No matter what you use, the V-8 guzzles, that is for sure!
true, true... she can be quite a lush.
Old 06-13-14, 08:27 PM   #207
BillCarson
Driver School Candidate

Default For what it's worth

For what it's worth, my wife and I attended sort of a new car seminar at the Santa Fe, NM dealer recently as we have bought a new 2014 LS460L and a new 2014 RX350. When we walked into the work bay area they had a guy there to discuss gas. He specifically stated that it was OK to use regular gas at our altitude (about 7,000). Regular octane in Santa Fe is 86. We were both shocked, expecting that he'd tell us tell us premium or 93 octane. He said you just don't need the high octane at our altitude. He did suggest that we buy premium on a planned road trip to Texas. So we started with 86 octane and then topped off the tank with 93 octane in Amarillo and for the rest of our Texas trip. All I can say is, both our cars work fine on 86 octane in Santa Fe.

As an aside, he also said that Sam's Club sell crappy quality gas. He had for display several clear containers of locally purchased gas. The Sam's Club one supposedly didn't look so great. I have bought Sam's Club gas for my Chevy trucks for many years and never had a problem. So now we don't hesitate to buy Sam's Club 86 octane. I'm not representing myself as any sort of knowledgeable person but both car seem to operate the same whether we use premium or 86 octane.
BillCarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 01:26 PM   #208
RandyV
Pole Position

Premium only for me.
RandyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 04:15 PM   #209
williakz
Lead Lap

Nothing but 87 whether it likes it or not. I've run the numbers; premium is a waste of money for performance rarely if ever used.
williakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 04:15 PM

Tags
1995, 253, 30, 87, 93, 95, accidentally, amarillo, area, bad, bay, cent, chevron, costco, es330, fuel, gas, gasoline, grade, high, infiniti, is300, lexas, lexus, low, lowest, ls, ls430, ls460, octane, power, premium, problems, put, putting, q45a, rebate, regular, reguler, running, stations, symptoms, tesoro, turbo, usa, versas, vs, washington