LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help...Changing to Sirius (from the factory XM) on a 2008 LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 03:39 PM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help...Changing to Sirius (from the factory XM) on a 2008 LS

What do you all know about switching the factory XM Satellite Radio over to Sirius on a 2008 LS460?

Before answering, please read on…

Apparently, all of the new LS’s coming into Southern California are equipped with XM Satellite Radio with XM NavTraffic. In the process of purchasing my new LS, I told the salesman that I expected the system to be changed to Sirius, as I have a subscription, I prefer Sirius and I don’t want to lose my Howard. I asked if the change would be seamless and asked if the integration of the Sirius would work the same on the factory deck in the dashboard. The salesman assured me of all of the above.

Very wisely, apparently, I convinced the dealership to change the system before I signed for anything or gave them any money. Shortly into the work being done, I receive a call from the salesman informing me that the Sirius could not be wired into the shark-fin antenna on the roof. And, that he was going to need to place a Sirius antenna (a black 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” box) somewhere on the roof or trunk of my new $69k Lexus!

Long story short, this was unacceptable and I cancelled the deal, which of course infuriated the salesman.

In addition, I’ve had another dealership tell me that a Sirius module for the LS would not be available until March or April.

Question is, what else wasn’t he telling me? Would the Sirius have actually worked just like the XM (forget about the XM NavTraffic), or not? Was he adding some aftermarket system that would not work with the dash, or did he really have something that was plug-and-play?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-09-07, 04:06 PM
ironhorse
Driver

I went through the same thing with my last GS, so when I got my Ls I was ready for the disappointment, here is what I did. I really only listen to howard during my morning drive time but enjoy it and did not want to give it up for a new car, so on both cars I had the dealer mount a star gate in the center console where I keep it on the howard channel all the time, they put a little puck on the inside the trunk where you can't see it. Works great all I do when I want Howard is hit the AUX on the radio and its there. I know it is not the end all but it works for me, XM and Sirius will be the one and same in the near future, this way nothing is hard wired and the change will be simple.... The LS is a great car if you go for it, you will love it..
Old 12-09-07, 04:58 PM
silver2000
Rookie

Had Sirius installed in 08 GS
Its same price on Lexus site as Sirius - Its my belief that the shark fin would have worked but the connector is different - Ended up with antenna on windshield near rear view - As long as its not outside the car I dont care

Doug
Old 12-09-07, 07:30 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

XM and Sirius might merge soon. I wouldn't cancel the deal so fast. You can go to XMmerger.com to see what's going on with the merger.

Craig
Old 12-09-07, 07:32 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, I guess it depends on how seamless you want it...wonder if any owners on here have gotten it through the shark fin antenna.

It may have disappointed the salesman but the customer comes first, and you deserve to get what you want, or not purchase it.
Old 12-10-07, 12:09 AM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by encore888
Hmm, I guess it depends on how seamless you want it...wonder if any owners on here have gotten it through the shark fin antenna.
Ok, maybe I made a bigger deal about the shark-fin in my OP than I needed to... My concern is that the Sirius will work on the Nav screen in the dash properly, the same as the XM works?

Originally Posted by encore888
It may have disappointed the salesman but the customer comes first, and you deserve to get what you want, or not purchase it.
Disappointed, you say? You should see the round of insulting e-mails I have received from him!
Old 12-29-07, 02:10 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda late but that little reciever next to the rearview mirror is factory approved. For some reason Sirius can't go through the shark fin and toyota's solution is that reciever. The menu system on the nav will be integrated and the same as XM. SEAMLESS
Old 12-29-07, 09:09 AM
silver2000
Rookie

I had Sirius in my F150 and mounted the standard antenna under the wiper cowl

I think the reception of that antenna was better than the Lexus hockey Puck - I still think ( no proof ) that the shark fin would work with the right connector - I could swear I found a post somewhere that showed someone did it
Old 12-29-07, 03:13 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FntcToy
Disappointed, you say? You should see the round of insulting e-mails I have received from him!
Suggestion: Forward a copy of his emails to Lexus Corp...
Old 01-08-08, 03:04 PM
FntcToy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Suggestion: Forward a copy of his emails to Lexus Corp...
LOL...already have, already have!
Old 01-08-08, 03:33 PM
ironhorse
Driver

I hope they merge soon I have the little puck on the rear deck by the sun shade works great and have the small unit in the center console but I would like everything to be on the Nav screen. The set up is real clean and you cant see anything, but I have to go in the center console if I want to change to go to another channel, so I just keep it on 100 for Howard
Old 01-08-08, 07:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't think there will be a merger. The fact that the DOJ is taking so long indicates that they are preparing for a possible court challenge. If the merger doesn't go through, I don't see how Sirius can possibly survive. I wouldn't invest too much in a Sirius radio and antenna.