LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Auto Lock, Confirmation needed if it does work

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 03:00 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Auto Lock, Confirmation needed if it does work

Hello guys actually the auto-lock option seems to work and not work at the same time.

This is what i did:

1- Car was locked,using the wireless remote control i press the "unlock" button and wait for 30 seconds and the doors automatically lock.

2- Car was locked, using my hands i unlocked the drivers door and opened the door and closed it, i waited for 3 minutes but the doors did not lock automatically.

I repeated those tests and the issue is still there when the car is unlocked using the hand, so can anyone confirm if they are facing the same issue? and if this issure could be resolved?

Waiting for your responses LS 460 L owners
Old 08-21-07, 04:29 AM
george1688
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you open any door the doors will not lock no matter how long you wait
Old 08-21-07, 04:48 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by george1688
Once you open any door the doors will not lock no matter how long you wait
I think you misunderstood me buddy, ill clarify once again , what i was trying to do is test the Auto- Lock option when im out of the car i mean when i close the car and walk away. So this is what i can conclude lets say i woke up in the morning and press the "Unlock" button using my wireless key, reached my destination and now i turned of the ignition and out of the car, if i forget to lock the car for any reason it will lock in 30 seconds.

Ok now lets say i do the same procedure but instead of using the Wirelress "Unlock" button i used my hands to opend drivers door and reach my destination, turn of ignition and out of the car. I noticed the Auto lock option does not work.

So can anyone confirm this please?
Old 08-21-07, 06:08 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uaexuae
I think you misunderstood me buddy, ill clarify once again , what i was trying to do is test the Auto- Lock option when im out of the car i mean when i close the car and walk away. So this is what i can conclude lets say i woke up in the morning and press the "Unlock" button using my wireless key, reached my destination and now i turned of the ignition and out of the car, if i forget to lock the car for any reason it will lock in 30 seconds.

Ok now lets say i do the same procedure but instead of using the Wirelress "Unlock" button i used my hands to opend drivers door and reach my destination, turn of ignition and out of the car. I noticed the Auto lock option does not work.

So can anyone confirm this please?
It's working as designed. If you open (not unlock) any of the doors, the car will not auto lock. It's designed that way to prevent kids from getting locked in the car. If you just unlock the door but wont open it then it will lock itself in 30 seconds or so. I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-21-07, 06:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by dimapb
It's working as designed. If you open (not unlock) any of the doors, the car will not auto lock. It's designed that way to prevent kids from getting locked in the car. If you just unlock the door but wont open it then it will lock itself in 30 seconds or so. I hope this makes sense.
Correct - auto lock doesn't mean you don't have to lock the car when you walk away. It can apply in a couple situations like accidental unlock (doors not opened, it will re-lock) or auto lock when you put your car into drive or lock at a certain MPH speed.

It does not automatically lock your car when you walk away. You aren't alone - there was an ES350 owner who left his car unlocked wherever he went for six months before he figured that out .
Old 08-21-07, 03:15 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Thanx for your replies guys but you havent mentioned when its unlocked using the wireless key control or by touching it using the hand, it makes a big differenece. If the wireless key control was used at the start to unlock the car and go whereever u want once your out it will autolock. But the hand doesnt seem to auto-lock all what im asking for is to do the procedure ive done ive mentioned in post 3 and reply back i just want to make sure. Thanx again.
Old 08-21-07, 04:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm guessing that the difference in the auto-lock feature is because of this:

1. When you use the wireless key control, you can be pretty far away (several car lengths) away from the car. You could press the button accidentally. As such, the auto-lock feature is designed because you are not in proximity to the car, so it will lock up because it expects you not to be nearby.

2. The SmartAccess system is designed for handle touch and proximity. You unlock the car by touching the handle, and as you leave you push the handle button to lock. It becomes a habit. Because you are near the car, the system will not auto-lock as it expects you to be nearby. It is 'waiting' for your touch.

I can see how some owners would want it to unlock in any case, but at the same time it could be a different logic for the different systems.
Old 08-21-07, 04:30 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
I'm guessing that the difference in the auto-lock feature is because of this:

1. When you use the wireless key control, you can be pretty far away (several car lengths) away from the car. You could press the button accidentally. As such, the auto-lock feature is designed because you are not in proximity to the car, so it will lock up because it expects you not to be nearby.

2. The SmartAccess system is designed for handle touch and proximity. You unlock the car by touching the handle, and as you leave you push the handle button to lock. It becomes a habit. Because you are near the car, the system will not auto-lock as it expects you to be nearby. It is 'waiting' for your touch.

I can see how some owners would want it to unlock in any case, but at the same time it could be a different logic for the different systems.
Thats neat thanx. Buddy actually the wirelress key control doesnt have to do anything with distance i tested it today at my dealers he mentioned something about i have to keep distance from the car and not putting the wireless remote close to my phone so they wont interfere. I unlocked the car using the wireless key control and was about 0.5m away from the car and it locked.

But in general i get the idea about touching the door, your post makes sense. Thanks again.