LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New member, pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 06:16 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It may not need it, but check to see if the transmission TSB (dealer called it a Shift Enhancement) has been done. I had it done on my 04 LS last week and it made a big difference in the low speed shifting.
Old 01-22-15, 06:18 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

If he has radio controls in the center console in the back seat, then he has a UL. Otherwise he does not. If the maintenance has been done then these cars are pretty much bullet proof and will go for a long time. As with anything... the more 'features' you have the more opportunities you have for failure. The air suspension does not last forever, but then neither do standard shocks. They all need to be replaced at some time. When buying a car with 100k miles, any car, you can expect to have to replace some things over the next few years. That's a given. I would not worry about air suspension with this many miles, or any suspension. They will all need attention and repair at some point.

Could you buy a car with less miles on it for the same money? Absolutely, but then it's not a Lexus.

Are you buying this car out of convenience? Or is this the car you really want to drive for the net few years until you turn it over to your son.
Old 01-22-15, 07:14 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
If he has radio controls in the center console in the back seat, then he has a UL. Otherwise he does not. If the maintenance has been done then these cars are pretty much bullet proof and will go for a long time. As with anything... the more 'features' you have the more opportunities you have for failure. The air suspension does not last forever, but then neither do standard shocks. They all need to be replaced at some time. When buying a car with 100k miles, any car, you can expect to have to replace some things over the next few years. That's a given. I would not worry about air suspension with this many miles, or any suspension. They will all need attention and repair at some point.

Could you buy a car with less miles on it for the same money? Absolutely, but then it's not a Lexus.

Are you buying this car out of convenience? Or is this the car you really want to drive for the net few years until you turn it over to your son.
I'm more concerned about the air suspension because I see where it's pretty expensive to replace but I also think I read where you could convert it over to not having the air suspension. Am I correct in saying that ONLY the UL cars have the air suspension?

Initially I would say that I'm buying the car out of convenience with the knowledge that I would ultimately have a car for my kids to use in a few years. However, the more I look at them I'm starting to get where I would buy one anyway. I will say that I do like the sporty GS models a little more but then again they don't have the room the LS does. I have always wanted a Lexus but I mostly looked at the GS.

I'm just lucky enough to catch the timing of when a friend is wanting to upgrade to a new car. I know him and he is honest about any issues that he would know about which luckily enough hasn't been anything to speak of. The price is going to be right so that I can pay for the car in full. My ultimate goal is to get completely out of debt. This will get me to where I have no car payment and also allow me to then focus on getting my house paid off within the next 5 years. All this and have a good car seems to be a win-win situation for me.

I know there are going to be things that need to be replaced like you said. I'm just hoping it's nothing major like a whole transmission or the expensive air suspension, etc.
Old 01-22-15, 08:14 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My apologies for being snappy.

If it has the buttons for air ride control or the rear sear tilt/audio controls - then you have an UL. If not, you have something between the ML and the CL.

Friends do not burden one another. And that's my point. If you've driven the car or can go over and drive the car, then you need to go through it yourself and ask some simple questions of him. Conducting a transaction with a friend should not make it awkward to ask for detailed information. And if he doesn't know it - just go over to his garage and sit inside the car and look for the various options that you've learn exist on this car.

Realize that you are wary of expensive issues but if you do not approach this purchase the same as if you were buying from an unknown source re: going through the car and it's history thoroughly, then you could miss something. And between friends - THAT might lead to awkwardness the next time you see each other. Avoid that is all I am saying.

My best wishes to you. I know exactly what you are aiming for financially as I was and am doing the same (mortgage wise) and therefore, am very sympathetic to your approach to this purchase.
Old 01-22-15, 10:17 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
What are talking about??? Just because I don't want to overwhelm the guy with questions left and right doesn't mean he is trying to take me or anything. He bought the car over 10 years ago and he is not a car guy so I doubt he even really knew the options that he was getting other than buying a Lexus that had navigation. He couldn't even remember if he had done the timing belt or not but after looking at his service records he did...it was just that it was 3.5 years ago.

I'm mostly trying to do research while I'm waiting for the car. I see that the air suspension can be an issue. From my understanding the air suspension only came one the Ultra Luxury model so I'm trying to determine if his is a UL. I can almost guarantee if I asked him if his car was a UL he would have no clue. So, I'm wondering if I could determine that from the VIN.
Simple. If it is a UL, there will be a rocker switch on the front console for "Sport" air suspension. Just look there next time you see the car. But you should heed advice to get the full Lexus history using the VIN.
Old 01-22-15, 10:34 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You cannot identify a UL directly from the VIN. However, the posts above have good information for determining from looking at it. Air suspension is only on ULs and all ULs have it (from the factory - some owners have converted). With the VIN, you can call Lexus corporate, and they will send you the features and options the car was built with.