Purchase 05 73k No Nav Decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 05:46 AM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase 05 73k No Nav Decision

Hello,

im going to possibly purchase my neighbors 05 mercury metallic 430 with 73k this weekend. its base model, no nav and no smart access, the body and interior are in good condition. Carmax offered her 13k for the car so im sure i can get it for that price. I was planning on going aftermarket head unit with Beatsonic. Does this sound like a good deal.
Old 09-25-14, 06:20 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I think that's a fair deal. I'd be looking for excellent condition though and not just good. Garage kept and all maintenance up to date. Timing belt done?
If you know the history of the car then you've got some inside info.
Old 09-25-14, 06:30 AM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
I think that's a fair deal. I'd be looking for excellent condition though and not just good. Garage kept and all maintenance up to date. Timing belt done?
If you know the history of the car then you've got some inside info.
my mistake, the car is in excellent condition, body is very clean, no dents, interior is very clean, timing belt water pump has not been done, but i think i can wait till 90k, my mechanic will do it for 350. car has always been garaged and serviced. . the concern is that I have a 2000 ls platinum with 132k in excellent condiiton also, so not sure if i should buy to keep or try and resell.
Attached Thumbnails Purchase 05 73k No Nav Decision-20140914_185625.jpg  
Old 09-25-14, 08:18 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you are a dealer you'd pay sales tax when you purchase which would eat into your profit margin. Even though the valuation sites place a premium on low miles how many buyers will do the same? Now $10k would be a real bargain if you can swing that on the purchase side. Buy to keep if that's the car you want more than your 2000. I think I'd personally struggle without the smart key and reverse camera, but I have become pretty lazy due to my 2005 with all the goodies.
Old 09-25-14, 08:20 AM
Legender
Racer

Got... that is a fair price based on the NADA website... so nothing wrong with the price.
Do you need it? Or do you just want it? Are you tired of your LS400?
I've had both... and prefer the LS400 98-2000 over the LS430... I know I'm strange.
Nothing wrong with your current ride have to ask what you're going to do with it?
Yes, you can wait till 90k for the belt...
Resell? What are the other LS430s going for in your area?
Is your neighbor going to be mad because you bought it and resold and made money? And does she know you're thinking of doing that?
You're LS400 looks great by the way. I'd love to have another one...
Old 09-25-14, 10:05 AM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

nothing is wrong with my car, just thinking of upgrading. in my area clean ls430 with low miles go for 17 -20. i was thinking of getting a 460 and using this as a trade in, i wouldnt have to register it i can still get a new title in my name. my neighbor doesnt car if i sell it, she doesnt want to sell it own her own and she has another car. i will have to drive it and see how much different it is than my car or if i should just go for the 460. i have my car for sale now but had to wait until i find something else
Old 09-25-14, 01:03 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice LS400. Reminds me of my old 98.

I personally couldn't imagine having a 430 without nav or smart access... I love having the climate and audio adjusted right through the nav. It's very ahead of it's time. Mark levinson and voice command is a plus as well. but TBH the nav software is really dated on the 430. I still like it, but it's not quite as good as newer systems.

I like the 'clean' updated look that the nav and smart access give the car however an aftermarket nav/radio would be a great option as well if you do get this 430. I'd try to beat down the price a bit more since it's the base model.

(Either way be sure to swap in those sport rims on your new 430. IMO they're the best rims for these cars.)
Old 09-25-14, 02:31 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

An 05 in the US at Premium trim level should have heat/AC seats and smart key but no NAV (which is completely obsolete anyway). 73k miles is pretty low for an 05....clearly lots of miles left if the car was well maintained. As far as buying and using it as trade in for a LS460 that is a bad idea. You will get almost nothing in trade. Better to use all cash to get your best deal. Car dealers only accept trades if they can make a sizable profit because they are taking on risk and cost of owning your trade in and the effort and costs to market and sell it - there is no free lunch. Trade in is a guaranteed way to get lowest possible value for a car....but trading a car is super easy and fast...just don't think that you get that convenience for free, you absolutely don't....trading in a car is very expensive, but most people are too naive to see the true cost because it is typically "masked" in the overall transaction. The dealer will give you anything you want for your trade to make you feel good while at same time reducing the discount or increasing dealer fees on the car you are purchasing. Its a shell game that every dealer plays with the fish.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-25-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 04:22 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I value the bluetooth, which noone complains about, and smart access very much. An LS with no Smart Access is so rare I have only seen one and check alot of them out.
Old 09-25-14, 07:15 PM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

If I keep it I would add a ddin head unit. As far as trade in for a ls460 I would negotiate the price of the 460 first than talk trade value. I'm sure I can get 13 on trade and the tax savings would be another 800. Or I will just flip it for 14500 or 15.
Old 09-26-14, 06:57 AM
FlaPhil
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '05 without Nav - that's what I wanted - one less thing to go wrong and really, do I want a 9/10 year old navigation system? I am perfectly happy with the base sound system and easy to use a/c controls. I do have the smart key system and while it's nice, I certainly wouldn't walk away from a car that doesn't have it. I mean, how hard is it to press a button on a remote to open the doors?

Based on the condition and mileage, the price looks better than right to me. Does the car have the air suspension?
Old 09-26-14, 07:11 AM
gooshster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlaPhil
I have an '05 without Nav - that's what I wanted - one less thing to go wrong and really, do I want a 9/10 year old navigation system? I am perfectly happy with the base sound system and easy to use a/c controls. I do have the smart key system and while it's nice, I certainly wouldn't walk away from a car that doesn't have it. I mean, how hard is it to press a button on a remote to open the doors?

Based on the condition and mileage, the price looks better than right to me. Does the car have the air suspension?
No the car doesnt have air suspension. the price is good, im gonna pick it up saturday, just not sure if I want to keep it over my 400,
Old 09-26-14, 11:20 AM
Legender
Racer

Just drive it for a while... seems like a great car at a great price.
Just drive it and see what you think... which one suits you're driving style. Seems like you've got the luxury of owning to flagship cars at the same time... can't knock that.
Let us know what you choose.
Old 09-26-14, 11:51 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think 13k would be a steal for an 05 with 73k on it. That car would bring anywhere from 17-21k around my area and east coast.

Personally I started out wanting an ultra but after test driving and looking at many I found I didn't like the navigation or air suspension or potential problems when they fail which they seem to do in the 8-10yr Mark or 100k miles on these and other lexus models. Mark levinson system also has its faults. Of course there are exceptions and some never have a problem with these.

I view the premium package as a plus for a daily driver since it has less major ticket items to fail and basically as reliable as a honda civic just much nicer and worse on gas lol.
Old 09-26-14, 04:03 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Smart Access is never taking yur keys out of your pocket. Gotta have it. Sounds like a fair price.