LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Best way to Connect a Battery Charger to a LS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 03:19 AM
afaleti
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to Connect a Battery Charger to a LS430

A friend of mine borrowed me a car charger (no manuals) and I would like to know the best practice for charging a battery while it is still inside the car without destroying my electrical system.

Is the best option to remove the battery and charge away from the car?

*****************************************************************************************
The background story is below:
*****************************************************************************************

Last Saturday 07/05 during a trip to Newark NJ from Maryland I noticed that my battery light came on just before returning home.

I turned of the Navigation system and put down the windows before heading back to Maryland but as soon as I slowed down to pay toll just before the Delaware memorial bridge the car started shutting down components until I completely lost all power.

I was lucky to get a tow to a local Pep Boys in Wilmington DE where I bought a new battery that
was able to take me home about 100 away. I had to turn on my headlight the last 60 miles.

I was able to start the car on Thursday 07/10 to take it to my mechanic but the car only took me about 2 miles before the dash light started dimming and all the components cutting off and I turned around and was lucky to get the car back into my garage before cutting off.

The battery light has been on since Saturday afternoon indicating that my Alternator is bad!

Thanks
Old 07-12-14, 04:39 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You have the classic symptoms of an alternator that is not charging the battery.
Also, it is quite possible that your original battery was OK.
Anyway the new battery got you home, so that was the important thing.

Many members here would warn against charging the battery, since the LS430 has quite a few electronic components that are now getting a bit aged. It is certainly safer to disconnect a terminal (usual advice is the negative one, although it doesn't really matter). I have never had any problem charging any car (including the LS430), but it is obvious that it has more risk than with the battery out of circuit.
I would recommend one more check before doing any more work - check the battery voltage. You can use any voltmeter of the correct range (12.6 VDC). Harbor Freight sells one on sale for $2.99 (sometimes free with the right coupon).
With the engine off, the battery should read 12.6V (higher if recently run).
With the engine on, it should read about 13.6V or higher.
Post again if you need more detail.
Old 07-12-14, 05:08 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

My LS430 starts out cold with the alternator putting out 14.39 and gradually dropping to 13.5 and change. I replaced my battery a few years ago, only because I figured 3 years was enough since it's production date. I only do local driving for short distances and get a reading around 12.55-59V at the battery with the car off. I'm fairly certain my car doesn't get a chance for a full charge, but I have never in 4 years had a problem starting. I would check both your battery and alternator as either or both could be the culprit. If it were me, I would change the battery first as it doesn't like to be drained. With a new battery, then the alternator can be checked. I believe our alternators put out less voltage as the car warms up as well as when the battery's internal charge increases.

PS. I was thinking of putting a trickle charge on my battery with my CTEK 3300 just to see how long it takes to get the full charge. (12.66 V)

Last edited by Bocatrip; 07-12-14 at 05:14 PM.