Not so smooth gear changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 06:53 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Red face Not so smooth gear changes

Hey Lexus experts,
So I have a 2006 LS430, it has about 130k miles on it, and I don't think the ATF has ever been flushed and changed. I'm not sure though, it doesn't say about it in the CarFax.

Anyhow, I've been having a bit of rough gear changes from 1 to 2, and sometimes from 2 to 3, the rest are smooth as silk.

So before thinking of flushing a new ATF oil (since the close JiffyLube here doesn't know how to)
I went to Autozone, and got me "Lucas ATF oil conditioner". In the description it says that it's supposed to extend the oil's life and give more smooth gear shifting.

What do you guys think about it? And where the hell is the refill hole for the transmission?! So I can use the conditioner.
Old 05-22-14, 07:18 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 194 Posts

Check with your local dealer. Mine only charged $100 for a drain and refill. From what I have read on here, doing it yourself is a lot of hassle that, for me, wasn't worth it.
Old 05-22-14, 08:12 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The 04-06 transmissions are not very easy DIY projects. Usually the dealer will only do a drain and fill which swaps out around 3-4 quarts. the whole system takes 12+ quarts. There are some DIY flushes utilizing the transmission cooler lines and engaging the torque converter that seems to be a safe method of "flushing" or exchanging out all the fluid at one time. It turns to be a little expensive since WS fluid is needed and they run from $7-$12 per quart. I did 2 drain and fills on my 122k mile 05 when I bought it. The transmission never was serviced before but i did not notice much difference. My gas mileage has been about the same as well.

The tranny temperature has to be within a specific range and the car has to be level to ensure that the fluid level is appropriate. The dealer I went to charged 160 for parts and labor which is around the lowest cost for this type of service at a lexus dealership.

I bought a new metal filter and tranny gasket to bring to my trusted independent mechanic for my next transmission fluid service. I'm thinking of asking him to do the transmission cooler line flush method and drop the pan and clean the filter and magnets and will have to buy around 16 qts of WS. Also the only additional fluid I have heard any good things about for tranny fluid is Lubeguard. Seems to be a good additive pack. I'll probably ask him to add that as well as install a Magnefine in-line filter which is good for 8-12k miles.
Old 05-22-14, 09:19 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bob04
Check with your local dealer. Mine only charged $100 for a drain and refill. From what I have read on here, doing it yourself is a lot of hassle that, for me, wasn't worth it.
I un-intentionally didn't think of that. So much I've read here on the forum how Lexus dealerships are more stealerships than being a first resort to go to.

Originally Posted by writes123
The 04-06 transmissions are not very easy DIY projects. Usually the dealer will only do a drain and fill which swaps out around 3-4 quarts. the whole system takes 12+ quarts. There are some DIY flushes utilizing the transmission cooler lines and engaging the torque converter that seems to be a safe method of "flushing" or exchanging out all the fluid at one time. It turns to be a little expensive since WS fluid is needed and they run from $7-$12 per quart. I did 2 drain and fills on my 122k mile 05 when I bought it. The transmission never was serviced before but i did not notice much difference. My gas mileage has been about the same as well.

The tranny temperature has to be within a specific range and the car has to be level to ensure that the fluid level is appropriate. The dealer I went to charged 160 for parts and labor which is around the lowest cost for this type of service at a lexus dealership.

I bought a new metal filter and tranny gasket to bring to my trusted independent mechanic for my next transmission fluid service. I'm thinking of asking him to do the transmission cooler line flush method and drop the pan and clean the filter and magnets and will have to buy around 16 qts of WS. Also the only additional fluid I have heard any good things about for tranny fluid is Lubeguard. Seems to be a good additive pack. I'll probably ask him to add that as well as install a Magnefine in-line filter which is good for 8-12k miles.
Yeah, they aren't easy to work with because they're sealed way down there, not like the 01' to 03', where you can add fluid through the dip stick from under the hood.

I think I'll just go ahead and contact my dealer about getting a full flush, and should probably return this conditioner.
Old 05-22-14, 10:34 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I would use the exact words "drain and refill" and not "flush".
Old 05-22-14, 10:41 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I just had this done last week, and I notice that mine shifts a little smoother. I also noticed something else. After I pull out of my driveway and start down the road, my car seems to hold either 2 or 3 gear for a short period of time before it kicks one gear higher. Before the drain and refill last week, I could tell almost the exact spot down the street when it would change to the higher gear and the rpms would drop. Since the drain and refill, the gear change and rpm drop has been happening a lot earlier.

I had several things serviced, so I can't say for sure it had anything to do with the drain and refill, but it was noticeable how much earlier the up shift happened.
Old 05-22-14, 11:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

No, do not use these conditioners. The additive package is likely depleted at this stage so it will require fresh fluid. Since the mechanic is going under there to drain it off, may as well use the proper WS type fluid.

If it comes out black and with black particulates, do the incremental drain to gradually introduce fresh fluid to the system. Not sure if there will be fluid shock if doing a full system drain so some caution is advised to discuss with your trusted Master Lexus Tech.

FWIW, the master Toyota tech relayed to me that unserviced trannies be those Type IV or WS, problems begin to surface typically 150K from fluid neglect.
Old 05-23-14, 10:32 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

I would use the exact words "drain and refill" and not "flush".
What I mean by flush, is that I intend to change all of the fluid completely. Drain and refill doesn't get all of the fluid.
And from the mileage on my car, I think that is the best option.

I just had this done last week, and I notice that mine shifts a little smoother. I also noticed something else. After I pull out of my driveway and start down the road, my car seems to hold either 2 or 3 gear for a short period of time before it kicks one gear higher. Before the drain and refill last week, I could tell almost the exact spot down the street when it would change to the higher gear and the rpms would drop. Since the drain and refill, the gear change and rpm drop has been happening a lot earlier.

I had several things serviced, so I can't say for sure it had anything to do with the drain and refill, but it was noticeable how much earlier the up shift happened.

That is close enough to what I wanted to know, it's great that you can notice the difference. What other services have you had done?

Originally Posted by RA40
No, do not use these conditioners. The additive package is likely depleted at this stage so it will require fresh fluid. Since the mechanic is going under there to drain it off, may as well use the proper WS type fluid.

If it comes out black and with black particulates, do the incremental drain to gradually introduce fresh fluid to the system. Not sure if there will be fluid shock if doing a full system drain so some caution is advised to discuss with your trusted Master Lexus Tech.

FWIW, the master Toyota tech relayed to me that unserviced trannies be those Type IV or WS, problems begin to surface typically 150K from fluid neglect.
Yes, I will go ahead and return the Lucas conditioner.

BTW, just called my nearest Lexus dealer, and they quoted me with a total of $300, everything included. Toyota synthetic oil to be used.
Old 05-23-14, 10:42 AM
Mikerx80
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Bob what area? This service from a stealership for a bill sounds like a great price.
Old 05-23-14, 11:05 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might use the word "exchange" rather than either "drain/refill" or especially "flush".

Last edited by Gene01; 05-23-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 11:32 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Bob what area? This service from a stealership for a bill sounds like a great price.
Columbia, SC. Jim Hudson Lexus.
Old 05-23-14, 11:36 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
That is close enough to what I wanted to know, it's great that you can notice the difference. What other services have you had done?
Timing belt and new water pump with new coolant
New front and rear brakes and new fluid
Transmission drain and refill
New rear Diff fluid
New power steering fluid
Fixed broken rear power shade
New serpentine/accessory drive belt
New engine and cabin air filters
Reprogrammed a few CBEST settings
Oil change
Tire rotation

Grand Total: $1931.03
Old 05-23-14, 04:23 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

New rear Diff fluid
New power steering fluid
Oil change
Tire rotation

That is awesome!
I bet the car drives like new now.

I might have to do the same fluid exchanges after the summer.
Old 05-23-14, 06:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

New rear Diff fluid
New power steering fluid
Oil change
Tire rotation

that's a reasonable price for all of that , I bet it feels great to get it all done
Old 05-24-14, 02:22 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

It felt good to get all that done, but it didn't feel so good to spend that much.

Quick Reply: Not so smooth gear changes