LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any mods for more hp/tq?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 09:01 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
Coulter we live at dragstrips and shops with dynos here in maryland. I'm not posting fairytales. We know about varying air temps etc. I have a bike that traps over 150mph thru the 1/4 and have built cars that put the rear bumper on the ground from a stoplight. What's in your garage?
Yea, a motorcycle is just like modifying a Lexus LS430.

This is starting to sound like a 17 year old with an LS who's watched Fast & Furious too many times.
What about NaWs?!
Old 11-26-13, 09:09 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL **** I'd be doin alright at 17 with an ls430 and a garage full of toys. That would have been fun come to think about it I do have an extra nitrous express wet kit in the garage from my old syclone I sold. That would get everyone wound up lol. Even the old guys in the Cadillac forums were modding their huge dts devilles and sts's with less negative backlash

Last edited by bmore430; 11-26-13 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-26-13, 09:09 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You do realize that the other 4.3 motors have a different engine management than the LS430 right? You wont be tuning your LS430 and getting gains like a GS or SC. That is unless you go stand alone or piggy back.
Old 11-26-13, 09:27 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

The management is the same just different parameters I believe to suit the different driving characteristics of each vehicle. The running gear for the sc,ls,gs in the 430 should be almost identical and stock numbers all in same ballpark. Should respond the same to mods only with the ls being the heaviest obviously
Old 11-26-13, 09:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 416 Likes on 343 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bmore430
Did some digging around and contrary to some beliefs here other platforms such as the gs 430 and sc 430 which obviously share our same drive train have before and after dynos and real world reviews showing 15-30hp/tq gains at the wheels with tune,intake,headers. For anyone that's modded cars that's a decent gain on a naturally aspirated v8. People are reporting no ill effects on gas mileage, reliability, car feeling slower etc.

I'm trying to talk to a Japanese jdm importer to see if there are more performance parts available we may not have seen for the ucf30. Not likely but worth some digging.

Vipstylecars forum has some more mod friendly views over there as well without the keep it stock mentality so good info there for anyone looking to upgrade.

Coulter we live at dragstrips and shops with dynos here in maryland. I'm not posting fairytales. We know about varying air temps etc. I have a bike that traps over 150mph thru the 1/4 and have built cars that put the rear bumper on the ground from a stoplight. What's in your garage?
That is correct about the SC430 and GS430. Everybody that did these mods gained a decent power boost without any negative effects.

There is a guy on the VSC forum with a red turbo LS430. He's on here as well but I don't know his username. I'm betting he might have some information on ways to make more power. There is a lot of good info on there and a ton modded LS' and GS'.
Old 11-26-13, 10:06 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

To get 40 or so hp out by full exhaust, intake headers etc.. is really worth 5 or 6 k you are putting in the car with labor etc. What happens when you sell it...

I really think you can just get a amg s class or 750i similar car even a ls460 staying in the$ 30s I would just get a faster car. Just not worth time or money...I actually just bought a ls 430 over any thing on the road right now because how smooth and silky the car drives. ( I was looking at ls460 , e63 amg the 2010 + and 7 series.After a long day at work I don't want more noise from exhaust watch out for cops etc...

I guess People here are more reasonable and really looking out for you in the longer run. But end ofc the day it's your car you can do whatever you want..
Old 11-26-13, 10:41 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Only had the car less than a few months so it's not going anywhere for years and when I do sell it it will have 150-200k miles so resale value doesn't matter to me. As posted above I could've bought an e55 mag, e63, cts v, ls460 etc but once driving the 430 i knew it was the perfect daily driver for what I needed and for the money I saved spending a few thousand on mods isn't the end of the world even if it is only 20-30hp, sounds better and will put a grin on my face.

I know most people end up replacing their y pipes,cats anyway from leaks, wear etc so rather than bolt back a stock unit at 1500+ I'd rather go aftermarket or custom anyway in stainless steel. Here in northeast most exhausts last 6-10 years before the weather takes their toll on the clamps, piping etc. And reading this forum many people have ran into this as well
Old 11-26-13, 11:32 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Headers, custom exhaust, and intake would be about $1,500 depending on the mufflers setup you want. It's not a bad price assuming you buy everything brand new without jumping in on group buys or getting discounts.

It's the labor on installing the headers that gets expensive. I've heard of shops charging $800-$1,000 just for the install because it can take 8 to ten hours to complete.
Old 11-26-13, 12:12 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Headers, custom exhaust, and intake would be about $1,500 depending on the mufflers setup you want. It's not a bad price assuming you buy everything brand new without jumping in on group buys or getting discounts.

It's the labor on installing the headers that gets expensive. I've heard of shops charging $800-$1,000 just for the install because it can take 8 to ten hours to complete.
I was reading here where someone did a GS430 with an exhaust and intake. I think they eeked out another 13hp.

How much horsepower do you think you would get from a set of headers, custom exhaust, and intake on an LS? Basically every single bolt on part available for the LS430.
My guess would be 30hp max and it would likely cost you $2k or $3,000 if you're paying someone to do the work. 30hp for $2k -$3k is not worth it for me, but maybe some people? More power to you.

No one is arguing that you can't squeeze more power out, what most people are saying is that it's likely throwing money down a black hole for very little gains on a car that let's be honest, is a boat that's more about luxury than drag racing.

Some cars, mods makes a big difference. A Subrau WRX with $2-$3k in upgradesis night and day difference, about another 100hp and take it into a different league. An LS430 with that kind of outlay would probably not even be perceptible to most drivers except for the louder noise, which is the main reason these days people put exhaust systems. It's more about the rumble than the performance gains.
Old 11-26-13, 12:37 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bmore430, check out the forums at lextreme.com, search for 3uzfe or ls430 and pay attention to any post made by Jbrady. All of this has been done, what works and what doesn't. ClubLexus is a bit on the tame side when it comes to modifications.

The skinny of it is that in order to gain power and torque across the rpm band without detrimental effects, headers and exhaust AFTER the stock Y-pipe in a 2.25" sizing is key. Any larger and torque is sacrificed, and you won't outflow the stock Y-pipe without forced induction as it is a very well designed piece.

I'm personally on the fence about headers and an intake. The PPE headers aren't stainless and I feel they should be for their cost, not to mention the longevity aspects. SRT would be the intake I would look into, but they haven't done testing on their little black box ecu's for the LS430's like they have for the GS and SC models. OBX makes a copy of the PPE header for less and in SS, but PPE headers are slightly model specific for clearance issues, so you can't grab a GS header and install on our LS's etc.. As far as I know, nobody has test fitted the OBX so who knows which PPE model they copied.
Old 11-26-13, 12:43 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Je imports who does sikky headers and a lot of work on the ISF/supras/2jz swaps are only 10 mins away. I may stop down there to get a quote on ppe install and fab the exhaust. MA Motorsport is also 20 mins away and does many import builds and fab work so I'll stop there and ask too. Both have dynos in house as well and are known for top notch work and crazy swaps that look factory.
Old 11-26-13, 01:15 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad, an SRT intake gains 20hp/30tq at the wheels on gs400's. Its not a stretch to think similar gains can be had for 430's. Add in headers and redo the post Y-pipe exhaust, and I would really be surprised to see anything less than an increase of 50-55hp and 60-65tq at the wheels. Think about it, 290hp/320tq crank ratings in stock form or 360hp/400tq or so crank ratings with three modifications give or take +/- 5.

Anyone would feel those gains.

As for cost, that's up to the consumer if its justified and if they'll need a shop to install anything. I wouldn't, so my cost to go beyond the exhaust I already have would be $1200 or so with PPE and SRT products providing SRT works out their intake ECU mapping for us. Dyno proven 40hp/50tq gains for that kind of money in naturally aspirated form for a platform with zero aftermarket support is a plus.

It's not for everyone, that is for sure. But this thread was created just for this purpose, to outline options for someone who is interested and doesn't yet know what's available, what's been done to success and what should be avoided.
Old 11-26-13, 01:26 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SQuester
Brad, an SRT intake gains 20hp/30tq at the wheels on gs400's. Its not a stretch to think similar gains can be had for 430's. Add in headers and redo the post Y-pipe exhaust, and I would really be surprised to see anything less than an increase of 50-55hp and 60-65tq at the wheels. Think about it, 290hp/320tq crank ratings in stock form or 360hp/400tq or so crank ratings with three modifications give or take +/- 5.

As for cost, that's up to the consumer if its justified and if they'll need a shop to install anything. I wouldn't, so my cost to go beyond the exhaust I already have would be $1200 or so with PPE and SRT products providing SRT works out their intake ECU mapping for us. Dyno proven 40hp/50tq gains for that kind of money in naturally aspirated form for a platform with zero aftermarket support is a plus.

It's not for everyone, that is for sure. But this thread was created just for this purpose, to outline options for someone who is interested and doesn't yet know what's available, what's been done to success and what should be avoided.

Couldn't agree more. You hit the nail on the head Sq
Old 11-26-13, 01:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by BradTank
I was reading here where someone did a GS430 with an exhaust and intake. I think they eeked out another 13hp.

How much horsepower do you think you would get from a set of headers, custom exhaust, and intake on an LS? Basically every single bolt on part available for the LS430.
My guess would be 30hp max and it would likely cost you $2k or $3,000 if you're paying someone to do the work. 30hp for $2k -$3k is not worth it for me, but maybe some people? More power to you.

No one is arguing that you can't squeeze more power out, what most people are saying is that it's likely throwing money down a black hole for very little gains on a car that let's be honest, is a boat that's more about luxury than drag racing.

Some cars, mods makes a big difference. A Subrau WRX with $2-$3k in upgradesis night and day difference, about another 100hp and take it into a different league. An LS430 with that kind of outlay would probably not even be perceptible to most drivers except for the louder noise, which is the main reason these days people put exhaust systems. It's more about the rumble than the performance gains.
My guess is around 30hp as well. The install on the headers makes it hard to justify spending the money even though I could get it done at a reasonable price. I'm at $450 with the cost of my custom exhaust and intake. The headers and install would put me in the $1,300 range. The price for my build wouldn't be too bad but it's still a lot of money for that power.

Like you said when you hit the $2-$3k range on other cars you can make a huge difference. For my SC300 that's the cost of a 2JZ-GTE and a few small mods or for a muscle car that's at least 50hp if not more. It's hard to justify spending that kind of money on 30hp when I could buy air suspension or a set of nice JDM wheels.
Old 11-26-13, 01:54 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by SQuester

I've always heard that about the SRT intake on the GS. If that along with the PPE headers and exhaust could put out 50+hp then I would jump on that. Does SRT have an Intake ECU for the LS like they do the GS?

With my current Injen intake, exhaust, and headers I would be at around 30hp. That ECU could make a big difference.

Quick Reply: Any mods for more hp/tq?