LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Creaking noise in brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 07:31 AM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Creaking noise in brake pedal

I just started getting a creaking noise from the brake PEDAL area (not wheels) when I press brakes to a stop, almost sounding like I am compressing a spring with a light ratcheting (r-r-r-r-r-r) when I press my brake pedal, or kind of like an old screen door that doesn't want to move and needs to be oiled first... (making my best attempt at a description)

When I got the car CPO in 2009, the brakes made an occasional popping feel /clicking sound as I slowed down. It drove me crazy. After several diagnostics since it was intermittent, the brake booster was replaced under warranty and that solved it. (I had figured it was like a brake light switch being clicked on but was told it could not be that, the whole booster is 1 assembly, etc.), The problem now is more consistent (at least when I just drove it) but wondering if anyone has experienced it. Hope it is not sign of imminent brake failure and plan to get it diagnosed ASAP.

If I recall the booster was around $1k at the time (although covered then) so I am not looking forward to replacing it again, although symptoms are not identical. Can anyone comment? I know the LS460 has an actuator that is extremely expensive (like 3k from what I have seen on these forums) but LS430 I guess is different, has a booster instead, hopefully a bit cheaper? Or could it be master cylinder? It seems to be originating from the engine area, not the wheels.

Could it be master cylinder instead (just throwing out alternatives)?

Should I take this to an independent mechanic of for diagnostic do you think this is better at a dealer? I have been trying to wean myself off of going to a dealer but but do not want to fool with brakes / non-OEM parts on brakes etc... and I am not mechanical myself so won't be attempting it myself...
Old 02-20-20, 09:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

This is a common complaint with GM and the solution is to replace the booster, which is "not" covered under warranty, but there is a TSB about it. It would seem mechanically the LS430 would be similar. Can you live with the sound? That's what most GM owners do.
Old 02-20-20, 09:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,147 Likes on 853 Posts

As above it's likely just a sound issue, spray lube on everything that moves and it usually goes away
Old 02-20-20, 09:44 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by demark1
I just started getting a creaking noise from the brake PEDAL area (not wheels) when I press brakes to a stop, almost sounding like I am compressing a spring with a light ratcheting (r-r-r-r-r-r) when I press my brake pedal, or kind of like an old screen door that doesn't want to move and needs to be oiled first... (making my best attempt at a description)

When I got the car CPO in 2009, the brakes made an occasional popping feel /clicking sound as I slowed down. It drove me crazy. After several diagnostics since it was intermittent, the brake booster was replaced under warranty and that solved it. (I had figured it was like a brake light switch being clicked on but was told it could not be that, the whole booster is 1 assembly, etc.), The problem now is more consistent (at least when I just drove it) but wondering if anyone has experienced it. Hope it is not sign of imminent brake failure and plan to get it diagnosed ASAP.

If I recall the booster was around $1k at the time (although covered then) so I am not looking forward to replacing it again, although symptoms are not identical. Can anyone comment? I know the LS460 has an actuator that is extremely expensive (like 3k from what I have seen on these forums) but LS430 I guess is different, has a booster instead, hopefully a bit cheaper? Or could it be master cylinder? It seems to be originating from the engine area, not the wheels.

Could it be master cylinder instead (just throwing out alternatives)?

Should I take this to an independent mechanic of for diagnostic do you think this is better at a dealer? I have been trying to wean myself off of going to a dealer but but do not want to fool with brakes / non-OEM parts on brakes etc... and I am not mechanical myself so won't be attempting it myself...
Here;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...dal-clunk.html

Old 02-20-20, 01:10 PM
demark1
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
As above it's likely just a sound issue, spray lube on everything that moves and it usually goes away
Thanks to all who replied. I noticed when I drove it again that it occurs while releasing the pedal, like a series of clicks, rather than when stepping down on it, but it seems to have mostly stopped. If it reoccurs I will bring it to dealer to see what they can do. I know about GM cars as I also had a Lesabre which squeaked and could be lubricated and have a Cadillac XTS where the play of the pedal became loose and it would push side to side a bit. Dealer was skeptical but I described hitting it on the side of the pedal and hearing the squeak so he identified it. That required a small part to be replaced (bushing or similar) and like new, but this felt more like a mechanical problem. The brakes are working fine (not going to floor or anything) for now so I will keep an ear on it to see if occurs again