Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

In the market for a LS430 but need some expert advice/suggestions?

Old 08-01-12, 01:28 AM   #1
octechgeek
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (2)

Default In the market for a LS430 but need some expert advice/suggestions?

First I want to thank you in advance for taking your time out to input.

So here's the deal, I'm in the market for an 02-06 LS430 and want to go VIP stance on the car, but have a few questions:

- Is it a waste of money if I go for the Ultra Luxury package since suspension will be removed?
- What package would you recommend?
- What should I look out for when buying an LS?
- What normally goes out when it's 100K miles?

thank you,
OC
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
octechgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 06:15 AM   #2
sajack
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

I'd be more interested in getting a pristine car than whether or not it has the lux. pkg. I bought a std. LS430 that had never been dirty underneath, interior showed no wear, carpet had never been dirty. It had a spotless service record. To me, those are the things that count.
sajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 07:41 AM   #3
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Suggest you just keep searching and reading threads as all of these topics have been thoroughly discussed.

I would start by deciding whether you want an 01-03 or 04-06 model.
14 Accord
12 Ridgeline
05 S2000
caddyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 03:49 PM   #4
jayclapp
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajack View Post
I'd be more interested in getting a pristine car than whether or not it has the lux. pkg. I bought a std. LS430 that had never been dirty underneath, interior showed no wear, carpet had never been dirty. It had a spotless service record. To me, those are the things that count.
Best of all worlds, buy the above with the UL package!

BOOMER SOONER!
jayclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 04:01 PM   #5
jwillis123
Rookie

I am partial to the 2004-06: I like the headlights much better; the lines on these cars are sharper. Go for a good clean car with a good history over the different packages available. Unless you are riding in the back quite a bit I would not focus on the UL. My 04 has the Modern Luxury package so I cannot comment on the ride difference although I am beyond satisfied with the ride quality on my ML.

The biggest complaint I have heard on these incredibly well built cars when they age is the power retractable mirrors failing. $750+ if you give the dealer free reign on that repair. If you service the car on time you should not have the major expense and issues you typically experience on the German competition.
jwillis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 04:04 PM   #6
jwillis123
Rookie

Lexus calls for a new timing belt at 90K miles. Depending on whether you let the dealer talk you into a new water pump at that time you are looking at $900-$1400. You can get it done at a Toyota shop bare bones for around $600ish.
Old 08-01-12, 08:34 PM   #7
sajack
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis123 View Post
Lexus calls for a new timing belt at 90K miles. Depending on whether you let the dealer talk you into a new water pump at that time you are looking at $900-$1400. You can get it done at a Toyota shop bare bones for around $600ish.
My Lexus dealer recently replaced my timing belt for $340 labor + the cost of the belt. They checked everything out and didn't try to sell me anything else. John Harvey Lexus of Shreveport, they have my business.
Old 08-02-12, 05:51 AM   #8
Jabberwock

Quote:
I am partial to the 2004-06: I like the headlights much better; the lines on these cars are sharper. Go for a good clean car with a good history over the different packages available. Unless you are riding in the back quite a bit I would not focus on the UL. My 04 has the Modern Luxury package so I cannot comment on the ride difference although I am beyond satisfied with the ride quality on my ML.

The biggest complaint I have heard on these incredibly well built cars when they age is the power retractable mirrors failing. $750+ if you give the dealer free reign on that repair. If you service the car on time you should not have the major expense and issues you typically experience on the German competition.
well said - ditto - only thing I'd add to clarify - you will have to compromise on TWO or more of the following when buying a car in the used car market - 1. Color 2. Condition 3. Options 4. Miles 5. Price - if you get 4 with no compromise consider yourself very lucky, no way to get all 5 unless you have a horseshoe up your *%*$.

I personally focused on options, condition, miles, price and color in that order (but I wanted base premium model only).

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-02-12 at 05:55 AM..
Jabberwock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 09:24 PM   #9
jwillis123
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajack View Post
My Lexus dealer recently replaced my timing belt for $340 labor + the cost of the belt. They checked everything out and didn't try to sell me anything else. John Harvey Lexus of Shreveport, they have my business.
Dude! I might drive to Lexus Shreveport when mine is ready for the timing belt! In Tucson you are usually $1000.00+ to get that done...
Old 08-05-12, 01:22 AM   #10
sajack
Pole Position

Quote:
Dude! I might drive to Lexus Shreveport when mine is ready for the timing belt! In Tucson you are usually $1000.00+ to get that done...
Most Lexus dealers' service departments aren't swamped with business like Cadillac dealers, etc. are. I suspect with the economy like it is, that a lot of dealers will negotiate repair charges if you approach them properly about it. This was a "special" that the Shreveport dealer was running. There is no reason a delership can't compete with independent repair shops, especially if they have trained techs that are sitting idle. I have never seen cars stacked up around a Lexus service dept.
Old 08-27-12, 10:05 PM   #11
BigBoi94
Driver School Candidate

The UL package is a great package with some nice features but make sure that's what you want your car to have. Since your going VIP you will be taking the air suspension out. But if money is not a option go for it.
BigBoi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 01:24 AM   #12
C8V6C
Pole Position

I went with the UL package since it has the factory air...i have been getting awaywith a data.controller, although it is slow, it gets the job done.

If you already have plans to run aftermarket air, i would skip the UL since the price will probably be $2-3k difference with a comparable non UL vehicle. Unless it's a great deal of course
Old 08-29-12, 05:43 PM   #13
2lucky
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
well said - ditto - only thing I'd add to clarify - you will have to compromise on TWO or more of the following when buying a car in the used car market - 1. Color 2. Condition 3. Options 4. Miles 5. Price - if you get 4 with no compromise consider yourself very lucky, no way to get all 5 unless you have a horseshoe up your *%*$..
I hit the lottery, and sure enough immediately went bowlegged!
2lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 05:43 PM