LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is there a diagnostic test for air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 09:37 AM
bcorey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a diagnostic test for air bags?

I'd like to make sure that my air bags are fully functional - there was an old code (B0101) in my system and it relates to the driver air bag - how can I check to make sure every thing is ok?

Thanks
Old 11-09-11, 10:49 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe all modern cars perform airbag electronic diagnostics upon startup and/or continuously during operation. If it is not currently alerting you, you should be OK. That said, I would have dealer check it out on your next visit.
Old 11-09-11, 11:09 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just hit the "HIGH" setting and see if the car raises.
Old 11-09-11, 11:41 AM
bcorey
Rookie

Thanks Caddyowner - I kind of figured that might be the case as far as the start up of the car - the dealer is the one who actually pulled the code - they didn't seemed too alarmed about it but I thought I'd do my own due diligence as well - the code states "Open in driver-side air bag Module Squib circuit /14" if that means anything to anybody?

thanks
Old 11-09-11, 02:16 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The SRS ECU detected a fault in the driver side airbag - open circuit in the squib circuit. The squib is the item that triggers the igniter that inflates the airbag. There is a fairly detailed trouble shooting procedure documented in Lexus repair manuals for every possible fault code that the SRS ECU sees/records. Most of the trouble shooting for intermittent faults it involves inspecting wires, driving that car on rough roads, and wiggling connectors to see if the system faults. Not a diy deal as an error in methodology can be very costly and potentially dangerous.

If it only reported one fault and has not reoccurred you are likely fine since the SRS ECU would be reporting additional faults and shutting down the system and flashing main warning light if the SRS was compromised. I would rely on the advice of the Lexus service writer to see if it needs to be investigated.
Old 11-09-11, 02:39 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Just hit the "HIGH" setting and see if the car raises.
Ah, yes, "Air bags", multiple meanings.
Old 11-09-11, 03:22 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I believe all modern cars perform airbag electronic diagnostics upon startup and/or continuously during operation. If it is not currently alerting you, you should be OK. That said, I would have dealer check it out on your next visit.
Here's an excerpt from Carl's Corner at Auto Repair Help re: the automatic alert:

The "Air Bag" light relates to the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system, more commonly known as the air bag. The light should come on when the key is turned on and go out a few seconds after the vehicle is started. After the vehicle is started, the Air Bag Control Module tests the air bag, crash sensors, and other various sensors to ensure the system is operational. This is commonly referred to as a self test. If the module detects a failure in the system it will illuminate or flash the air bag light to indicate to the driver a problem has been detected. Under most circumstances the air bag will not deploy in a collision while the system has detected a fault and the air bag light is illuminated.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Since the air bag is a critical safety device, it is imperative the system be serviced and repaired as soon as possible. Repairs to the air bag should be left to trained personnel that have the proper equipment to diagnose and repair the system correctly. The technician will perform a self diagnostic test on the Air Bag System. The Air Bag module will store a diagnostic trouble code that relates to the failed component or circuit. Once this code is retrieved, the technician will focus their diagnosis on that particular failure. Once pin-pointed, the repair facility should provide you with an accurate repair cost detailing the parts and labor.

PRECAUTIONS, TIPS and NOTES
If the vehicle is still under warranty the diagnosis and repair of the problem should be covered by the vehicle manufacturer. If the vehicle is no longer under warranty you should have the system diagnosed by a trained professional. A trained professional should be able to diagnose the problem within an hour.
[/I]
Old 11-09-11, 06:35 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't remember which, but might be both.. but the ABS and SRS should be checked by the dealer every 10 years of ownership. I don't know how they check, but I would presume it's some diagnostic machine that gets hooked up and diagnoses beyond the normal that monitors the vehicle.
Old 11-09-11, 07:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Interesting thing about airbags (specifically the squib/ignitor/airbag assembly - when they first came out in cars the airbags were thought to have fairly short lifespans. Because they were so new no one really knew how long they would remain reliable in a typical car environment. I remember reading that some car manuals (mid 80s) advised replacing airbags at 10 year intervals to insure functionality.

Since that time estimates of service life for automotive airbag assembly has gradually gone up and currently I think the general consensus is approx 15-20 years for service life. So if you are driving a 1991 car with 20 year old airbags, if you have an accident chances are the airbags may still work as designed.
Old 11-10-11, 09:08 AM
bcorey
Rookie

Thanks everyone for your replies - I'm going to take it back to the dealer and inquire about further diagnostic tests they might have available to make sure everything is in good working order - thanks again for everyone's time