LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help!! LS430 at dealer ?'s about Tire Cupping.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 01:34 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!! LS430 at dealer ?'s about Tire Cupping.

I need some answers as fast as possible. I was noticing some noise coming from my car and I was not sure if it was the brakes or the tires, I just replaced both. I have a LS430 with the Sport Suspension package. I replaced the tires with new Eagle F1's.

The dealer just called me back and said that my brakes are fine and the problem is the tires are cupping and feathering.

Here is my question. Tires don't just cup and feather right? Something causes this. He also said that an alignment would not help. What do you guys think?

After doing some searching I am under the impression that this problem is caused by suspenion issues, alignment, or tire inflation. Shouldn't the dealer be telling me what caused the issue and not just be saying it is your tires? Duh, the tires are making the noise, why?

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 10-23-08, 01:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't even know what cupping and feathering is.

But if they are new tires and the tires are not bad, then it must be bad alignment or tire inflation like you said.
Old 10-23-08, 02:07 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tread of the tires can cause noise from it pounding the ground. the larger the tread blocks and spacing of the blocks the more noise, also the LS wants negative camber front and rear on rthe alignment whitch means the tire is going to ride harder on the inside shoulders. You can have the tires rotated but your tires are directional so you can't cross rotate them to stop/slow the cupping. Have the alignment checked and done if needed.
Old 10-23-08, 03:04 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RNelson
The dealer just called me back and said that my brakes are fine and the problem is the tires are cupping and feathering.
Isn't cupping a defect in the tire while feathering is cause by alignment issues?

Have you gone back to the dealer where you got your F1's to see if its a defect?
Old 10-23-08, 03:06 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, in the old days "cupping" was the result of bad shocks. (The tires constantly bouncing on and off the road surface wore out "cups" in the rubber when the tires kept hitting the road at speed.)

I would suspect your struts.

Have someone follow you to watch if the tires in question bounce a lot.

Walt
Old 10-23-08, 04:50 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey you guys, thanks for your quick responses....

I ended up calling the dealer back and basically told them that I don't care that the tires are cupped or feathered, you need to fix what is causing the issue.

I asked him these questions...

Tire pressure, he said all were ok
Which tires affected, he said fronts only
I said well it looks like it is an alignment issue and he agree that it may need an alignment.

So, that is what we are going to do, I am then going to have him place the front tires in the back and the back tires in the front, that way if it happens again we will know that it is not an alignment issue...

I'll let you know what happens....

Thanks again.
Old 10-25-08, 06:13 AM
Shilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the alignment it the correct fix. I complained about increased noise on my Michelin Energy tires - 2001 Sport Suspension - and there was some feathering on my front tires. I did a 4 wheel alignment through an independent Toyota/Lexus mechanic and it helped reduce the tire noise - and hopefully the feathering condition.
Old 10-25-08, 07:08 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your dealer sucks
Old 10-25-08, 11:37 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This might be hard, as there are many factors that effect cupping, from worn out suspension to the alignment, to the a manufacture defect. So im not sure how the dealer will handle this. They might just refer you to the tire manufacture.