LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430-Spikes-Spider Traction

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04, 02:59 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default LS430-Spikes-Spider Traction

I think I got ripped off! Help! Today my $386 "Spikes-Spider Traction System" arrived and I think I got ripped off.

First of all, it arrived in many many parts. It looks like I have to replace the original lug nuts. Could this be the case? SHOULD this be the case?

Second of all, I noticed that the packing slip said it was sold to someone other than me in California, at the address on this web site: www.spike-spider.com

Yet the box said it came from THIS web site : www-spikes-spiders.com

Notice that they the second one (the real site...not the one I ordered from) has an "S" after "spike".

What the heck is going on here? What will my wheels look like when they are not on the car? Also, I thought my $400 was buying something for FOUR wheels and it only is for two. I guess that makes sense, but seems expensive for 4 wheels.

HELP!
Old 10-16-04, 03:02 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Oops, the second site was www.spikes-spiders.com.
Old 10-16-04, 05:09 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

OK, I calmed down and figured it all out. Yeah, it seems to work neat. It does appear that I could have bot direct from the manufacturer and saves about $100....not the first $100 I pi$$ed away. Anyway, I hope these install easily and work well when the snow shows!
Old 10-16-04, 05:36 PM
cschow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I'd return the product from the "fake" site and order from the "real" site. And when ordering, also ask to speak to their legal department and let them know about the "fake" site. The two sites, imho, are way too close together and it looks like someone's trying to get a free ride of someone else's trademark. Let the real site know about it and maybe they'll start an action to enforce their trademark.

Meanwhile, I'm still kind of confused. Why buy this thing when you can instead just get some snow tires?
Old 10-16-04, 06:03 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yes, on Monday I will have a long chat with the real site people and see what can be done.

As to "why not buy snow tires"....you don't get it! This is PITTSBURGH. The hills approximate San Francisco. My garage is at the bottom of a steep driveway. I do have Nokian snow tires that work well. However, these spikes are just the ticket to get me out of the driveway after a big snow. Even when the plow comes, it usually doesn't get down to the bare pavement (blacktop...which is slick even when bare). The good news is that I live in a wealthier municipality where they clear the streets quickly and well. So I'll probably pop the spikesspiders off as soon as I reach the top of my driveway. I usually don't need to go much beyond my municipality when the weather is bad anyway. And the spikespiders are light and can store easily in the trunk so I can take them in case I get stuck somewhere. I ALMOST wish for snow (it's about a month too soon) just to test them out!

And for REALLY REALLY bad days, I can work with my wife so we can share her Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer).
Old 10-18-04, 01:48 PM
spikespdr
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Reputable Dealer

Daryll40,

I am a manager at the spikes-spider retail outlet you purchased from. I have forwarded your posts below to our legal counsel, due to your illegal slander and libel of our company. I am asking that this post be removed by the moderator.

Spike-spider.com is a reputable dealer located in the State of California. We sell new parts only. We are an authorized reseller of spikes-spider in the United States and have thousands of satisfied clients.

-Our website is www.spike-spider.com . Our largest competitor (also a certified reseller) operates under the name spikes-spider.com. Neither of us manufacturer this product, we are simply resellers. The manufacturer is located in Switzerland as does not sell direct to the public.

-Your receipt shows our owner's name, as the products are sold to our company in bulk, from a warehouse in North America and he is the main point of contact.

-Spikes-spiders are only to be used on the DRIVE wheels. In your case, you have an LS430, which is RWD. So, you only need attach the spiders to your rear wheels to gain traction. Please let us know if you have questions, as we want you to be completely safe when utilizing our product on your vehicle.

If you are unsatisfied with the product, please contact us to return the product. We will gladly refund your purchase price, less shipping and handling.

Have a pleasant day.

spikespdr
Old 10-18-04, 02:02 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

OK, fair enough. After doing some further checking, I see a few facts that I initially got wrong. So I will restate my situation.

Yes, I can now see that there are two competing sites with SIMILAR names. Interestingly enough, the box that the product came in listed yet a THIRD site with yet a THIRD name (ending in "usa.com") similar to both of the others. When you add that fact to the fact that my invoice had a private name on it and not a company name, it did not seem "businesslike". Furthermore, when I called, I got someone's individual cell phone, who answered with "hello"...again, not a "company" or business-like transaction.

But to be fair I can see that the price on the competitors board is for a different product so, in the end, I guess I did get the right product at the usual and customary price so I am satisfied. So you are partially right and I hereby correct my errors. But I, also, am partially right as your business practices don't seem like "business" practices, but more like that of an individual reselling someone else's product under the guise of being a business. So I have a reasonable case to be suspicious.

Daryll40
Old 10-18-04, 02:09 PM
spikespdr
Driver School Candidate

Hi Daryll40,

Thanks for helping clear this up. I agree that the shipping process needs to be streamlined. Our company is immediately implementing an e-mail and postcard follow-up to our product sales that will explain the role our company plays in the import and sales process to help eliminate any confusion.

We are a corporation, filed under spike-spider.com, Inc. We are working with the North American Warehouse to get this placed on the billing slips to eliminate confusion.

Thanks again and have a great day.

spikespdr
Old 10-18-04, 02:18 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Glad to hear that you are taking my concerns seriously and that my corrected situation narrative is now clearly posted.