LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Catalytic Converters...Help PLEASE :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 06:21 AM
rapril
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converters...Help PLEASE :)

Hello I have a 1995 Lexus LS400. When I bought it almost a yr ago...the guy told me it would be needing a catalytic converter. I also took it to Autozone and they put it on the computer and it gave the code for that, as well as the check engine light has been on since I bought it. It had ran fine till about a week ago when it started making ALOT of white smelly smoke coming out of both tail pipes. Also when I would stop at a stoplight it acted like it could possibly stall and was accelerating sketchy. Now, I have had some serious BAD luck with repairmen completely screwing me over (how I lost my last car a few years ago) and I am so worried about getting this fixed and was hoping someone could help me with a few questions, someone that doesn't have an interest in getting my money basically. I barely am making ends meet and have a child with ADHD, we have been cooped up in the house for YEARS because of my last screw over with spending over $2000 and driving home (not making it either) because the other car had blown head gaskets (sold it for parts) and this car is my lifeline to our life, so it's HUGE for me to be fixed and not waste a bunch of money on unnecessary things....OK...

How do you know you need TWO catalytic converters? Do they both go at once? (Both tailpipes have the white smoke coming out)

Do I really need to spend almost $200 a piece on the catalytic converters or are the cheaper ebay parts ok too?

Any other advice I could have about the catalytic converters would be greatly appreciated as I even have people telling me I should just "straightpipe" it (I DO NOT want to do that by the way) b/c of environment and b/c I heard it will make more problems for the car. I have read so much but can't find out how you really know if you need 2 converters or one or how you know it's technically the converter and not possibly the oxygen thing. I don't want to monkey my car, I want to keep it nice like it's suppose to be also

I don't know why car repairmen would want to be dishonest as I have an older car, and to me, it seems you would want someone to give you lots of business instead of a one time thing?? Sorry to ramble, wanted to give the whole deal Thanks in advance for any help
I love my Lexus, it's the best car I've ever had, even though it's older, I still love it
Old 02-27-14, 06:27 AM
rapril
Driver School Candidate

Wanted to also add that I have stopped driving the car till I get it fixed since I heard you can ruin the engine. (Is this true?)
Old 02-27-14, 07:45 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think u have other issues going on..im not inclined to think its the cats. i believe ur ecm is in need of attention
95's are prone for this failure and taking into consideration u live in a humid climate..its def. something to look at.
im sure someone here will post a link on the ripple test and yamae or cowboy will interject soon enough,hang in there and good luck
Old 02-27-14, 08:36 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

python is correct, LS400 cats are super reliable and the problem is likely the ECU (aka ECM, the main brain) and you need to avoid anyone that translated your symptoms on a 1995 LS400 as bad catalytic converters, they are either ignorant or else crooked

what is likely the issue is failing ECU capacitors, a very common problem with 92-97 LS400, and 95 was one of the highest failing rate years

please see this link for the fix

and do not straight pipe, replace or even touch your original catalytic converters, they will likely last at least 300,000 miles and if you fool with them or remove them, you will likely lost both performance and fuel economy as well as confusing your factory ECU (the main brain), not to mention failing emissions and polluting the areas where kids and pets play.
Old 03-03-14, 11:55 AM
rapril
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks so much, I really appreciate someone being straight with me. So this morning, I took the car to 2 places...(laugh out loud...) first one (an exhaust shop) said I had blown head gaskets and needed a new engine and not to get one from the junk yard......(lol again) then the 2nd one has said I need a new timing belt and a "tune up". Now my problem with a tune up (for $1200) is that are they just saying that because they don't know what the real problem is? Do I have bad spark plugs or are they just changing stuff out for the hell of it? I called him back and told him what I read here with the ECU capacitors and he told me very dissmissivly that the ECU is the cars brain and it's working fine. (Funny he told me it was throwing all kinds of codes, a symptom of the ECU) and when I mentioned the white smoke, he said "it has white smoke?" Which then made me think, "Did he even turn the car ON?" I am so annoyed with people, and just wish someone would either listen to me as far as this being a major known issue for the 95 LS400, but hey, I'm just some dumb girl that doesn't know anything. I actually had read that article about the ECU's many times and kept thinking maybe that could be it, due to all the symptoms, which I had a lot of them, like erratic idle, high idle (the car can drive itself without me pushing the gas it would be so high sometimes!)

Is there any honest people left in the world! I am bringing my car home, NOT paying the $1200 and waiting till I can find someone trustworthy! I really appreciate all the help and advice!!!! Have a great day
Old 03-03-14, 12:28 PM
rapril
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to ask also for advice on where I would find someone who knows something about doing the ripple test and/or fixing the ECU (with the parts recommended here that I will be getting myself to make sure they are correct)? Would I ask an auto electric repairshop? Thanks in advance
Old 03-03-14, 12:29 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

please reread post #4 - the answers are all there
Old 03-03-14, 01:06 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Originally Posted by rapril
Forgot to ask also for advice on where I would find someone who knows something about doing the ripple test and/or fixing the ECU (with the parts recommended here that I will be getting myself to make sure they are correct)? Would I ask an auto electric repairshop? Thanks in advance
Anyone that has experience with soldering computer components (ie: mother boards, capacitors) would be your best bet on replacing the capacitors on your ecu. Maybe someone at a computer repair shop.
Old 03-03-14, 02:05 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

as for the smoking coming from the tailpipes, a very common issue is the power steering fluid leaking into the engine and burning making you think it's a blown head gasket. check your power steering fluid reservoir and see if there is enough fluid in there. a good indication that this is your smoky problem is that there is little to no fluid left.

the remedy is pretty simple with basic automotive knowledge necessary to execute. the culpirt is usually the air control valve (ACV). plug it (which i recommend) or replace it!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html
Old 03-03-14, 05:59 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Can you get the codes and post them? Usually the codes are just a starting point for diagnosis of the issue.
Old 03-04-14, 04:43 AM
rapril
Driver School Candidate

I will update today when I pick up the car and also will re-read the article. It's a little much when you really know nothing about cars, but I am trying to know because I just can't afford to be ripped off. Thinking about being stuck in this house for another few years till I can save up enough for another car, absolutely brings me to tears! I just don't understand how so many people can be dishonest and dismiss my suggestions, I mean AT LEAST they could consider what I'm saying, I have been reading this stuff for weeks now. Will update after work Thanks again to everyone, I am very grateful for all the help and suggestions!!!!!! Have a great day
Old 03-04-14, 08:29 AM
rapril
Driver School Candidate

PS will posts codes later today after I take to Autozone
Old 03-15-14, 10:03 AM
rapril
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to post an update, though it took a while, due to embarrassment on my part... ok, so I had taken my car in and the guy told me I needed a new timing belt, spark plugs, distributor, and the list goes on. He told me it would be $1500 cash out the door. I wasn't OK with the diagnosis and KNEW it was the ECU, and went to pick up my car to bring it home to figure out how I would deal w/ the ECU. When I went in to get the car, I sat there talking w/ the owner of the shop and he told me it ABSOLUTELY WAS NOT the ECU. My timing belt was about to break and that the smoke from my tailpipes was b/c of leaking fluids. I specifically asked him if he was literally 100% sure it was all these problems and he said yes a few times to that exact question.

Move on to me going to get the car, brought in the $1500 since I was worried about seizing the engine w/ a bad timing belt. And get in, LITERALLY didn't go one block down the road, it was doing EXACTLY the same crap as when I dropped it off, smoke STILL POURING out of the tailpipes, he lied about using the brake pads I asked him to use (they were still on the seat new in box unused).

Then I had no choice but to take it back b/c I just paid all that money, and I again told him it was the ECU and the only reason I am posting my screw up, is because I really hope someone doesn't go through what I just did. I could have spent $150 like he did and ordered a replacement ECU and instead, I lost literally my whole tax return. To top it off, he stole my unused brake pads off my front seat and claimed he used them (though the brakes had already been done after the first time, and I was going to take them back since I still had receipt.)

I learned a very good lesson, which was to listen to my gut, and I knew this was the problem once I figured out it wasn't the catalytic converters from help from everyone here and other sites I've read this as well. He offered "free labor" on the ECU, but obviously he did this b/c he knew he screwed up. Everyone is telling me to sue this guy, but I am not the sueing type of person, and feel in a way, I should have done what I went there to do, which was to pick up the car and find someone to help me w/ the ECU. I am completely embarrassed and feel like a complete idiot, but he kept claiming he was 100% sure and now I'm out a few bucks under $2000!!!!! I do appreciate all the help and advise and know I will never do anything like this ever again. I did keep my old ECU since I sell on ebay and thought possibly I could recover something at least, maybe someone can just add some new capacitors to it or something, who knows. The car runs like a brand new car by the way. Trying to look on the bright side, I have a new timing belt, spark plugs, distributor, water pump, brakes, fluids, and ECU. I would have been satisfied w/ an "i'm sorry I misdiagnosed your car..." or better yet, you were right! Lol, thanks for the help everyone, learned a hard lesson thats for sure!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-14, 12:37 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
LS400 cats are super reliable and the problem is likely the ECU (aka ECM, the main brain) and you need to avoid anyone that translated your symptoms on a 1995 LS400 as bad catalytic converters, they are either ignorant or else crooked
just listen to the guys here from now on, we have diagnosed a million of these
Old 03-15-14, 01:34 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Don't be embarrassed lots of folks around here have done some pretty questionable things to their cars even though some wont admit it like you did. I commend you for even reporting back in to update bcuz like you said " it might help someone else. I'm glad you car is running fine even though you learned a pretty expensive lesson.