LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

7.5k for a 2000 LS400 - good buy or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 04:52 PM
Tomcio78
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too much in my opinion... keep looking... i looked for over a half year for one but found it
Old 10-22-12, 05:05 PM
RastaPasta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Keep looking. These come in waves so as long as you have current transportation, just keep your eyes open. How about a GS?
I haven't really considered a GS, I don't care for the 1st gen although the gas savings would be appealing. I like the LS because I sit in traffic a lot and it is like driving a couch. 7.5k would have been really stretching it for me, I am really looking for (good) beater status car

There is a '95 with 237k miles that I could get for $2500 or less but it is all the way in Santa Barbara so I have no idea when I could make it up there to check it out. Also these long distance cars, it is going to be a pain (read: take lots of bribes) to have a friend drive that far with me to get the car if I did decide to buy one.
Old 10-22-12, 05:52 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Take a look at the 99-'02 GS's, these are also within your budget. The 2JZ VVTi is an excellent motor and you should find plenty of choices on the market. Might even come across some of the GS 400's and that is
Old 10-22-12, 05:59 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since you are considering a ls400 and a gs, search for gs400 and gs430
Old 10-22-12, 06:58 PM
door331
Rookie

200k is definitely on the high side for miles - thats about 16k/yr if that is a 1 owner car - probably a lot of highway miles. I wouldn't be too scared of the miles but I also wouldn't stretch your budget on something like that.
Old 10-23-12, 07:02 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a LS400

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3357481906.html
Old 10-23-12, 09:26 AM
RastaPasta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dranom
Yeah, I sent a text to that one but did not get a response. I know I should call, which I'll do this weekend if it is still up. No time to roll all the way out to Indio until at least Friday night.

I was also looking at this one: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3356113451.html - almost bought it last night but we couldn't come to an agreement yet. Might try again Weds, except it has PS leak so he has to come down more.
Old 10-23-12, 09:37 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

stop using words like "perfect" and some of your confusion will clear up. thre are no perfect cars. in all these cars you are comparing degrees of degradation.
Old 10-26-12, 11:12 AM
RastaPasta
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the thread bump but I was hoping to get some feedback from people who've had multiple LS. I'm still shopping around and was wondering:

1) How much nicer is a Coach leather interior? Is it all genuine leather and such, a lot softer, comfier or just perforated but no real advantage?

2) Does VVti in a 98-00 improve fuel economy or just extra power?

Basically I am torn between these two generations now...I like 1997 model because it seems like there is less to go wrong, it seems to be more in my price range, I like 98-00 for the extra power I'll get from VVti, the interior seems nicer with the wood grain wheel and I like the info center in the cluster although from what I've read it is linked to the stereo so you can't remove the stock stereo? Unfortunately most of this gen I am seeing is either out of my range or at the very top of it.

I realize this is all subjective, everyone has different opinions but I appreciate the feedback maybe it'll make me less indecisive.
Old 10-26-12, 02:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaPasta
Sorry for the thread bump but I was hoping to get some feedback from people who've had multiple LS. I'm still shopping around and was wondering:

1) How much nicer is a Coach leather interior? Is it all genuine leather and such, a lot softer, comfier or just perforated but no real advantage?

2) Does VVti in a 98-00 improve fuel economy or just extra power?

Basically I am torn between these two generations now...I like 1997 model because it seems like there is less to go wrong, it seems to be more in my price range, I like 98-00 for the extra power I'll get from VVti, the interior seems nicer with the wood grain wheel and I like the info center in the cluster although from what I've read it is linked to the stereo so you can't remove the stock stereo? Unfortunately most of this gen I am seeing is either out of my range or at the very top of it.

I realize this is all subjective, everyone has different opinions but I appreciate the feedback maybe it'll make me less indecisive.
you forgot the '98-00 has much better traction control, headlight output, and (vs. 95-96, but NOT '97 models) side-impact airbags.

power and mpg is improved with the 98 as well.
Old 10-26-12, 03:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Coach Ed leather difference is the perforated seats, the embossed "Coach" emblem on the center arm rest. PD mentioned the seat mounted side impact air bags and there was transponder chip in the master and valet keys. You need a transponder chipped key to start the car. It also had the 5 spoke wheels that would be on the 98.
Old 10-26-12, 03:15 PM
RastaPasta
Driver School Candidate

Coach Ed leather difference is the perforated seats, the embossed "Coach" emblem on the center arm rest. PD mentioned the seat mounted side impact air bags and there was transponder chip in the master and valet keys. You need a transponder chipped key to start the car. It also had the 5 spoke wheels that would be on the 98.
Thanks, didn't know about the transponder chip in the key, that might be good in case I end up moving back to Detroit next year . But what I really want to know (since I haven't seen myself) is if the leather is actually significantly nicer in a coach ed? I'm not a label ***** so I don't care about all the logos.

Also, I am only interested because it seems like there are few '97 Coach Ed available in my market right now. Otherwise I guess it comes down to VVti. Things like side airbags don't matter so much (although I guess this might lower insurance? Otherwise I don't need to be punched in the side of the head when someone hits my car).
Old 10-26-12, 07:31 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The dull finish of the 97 Coach wheels is different than the standard wheels of the 98-00 and, in my opinion, less desirable.

I don't think the Coach leather is any nicer than the standard leather. I don't regard the "lizard leather" in my 00 LS Platinum as being more desireable than the standard leather. I actually prefer the standard leather but I prefer the maple wood of the Platinum.

Don't forget that the 98-00 has VSC which may not be all that important in California but it is a wonderful thing to have in the snowy midwest. The 00 LS also has Brake Assist which senses a panic stop and automatically increases braking. And the 5-speed automatic transmission!

My 00 LS Platinum is at 158,500 miles. If I had been going to sell it before it got rear ended last week, I would have asked about $7,500 for it. - it had no dings, ran perfectly, nearly perfect interior, new OEM windshield, full maintenance records since new and looked pretty much like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. The one little scratch it had will be eliminated during this collision repair after which it will be better than before. I may drive it to around 210K before parting with it unless another cell phone talking/ texting idiot crashes into it and totals it.

I run across extremely nice 98-00 LS400's fairly often. They are often owned by geezers like me who have no intention of turning loose of them. Why would we? I test drove a new $89,500 LS460L AWD last year and I found to my surprise that I prefer my 00 LS.

I recommend patience. Maybe if you see a nice LS you like at a gas station, ask its owner if he/she would like to sell it. A lot of these cars never hit eBay, cars.com or Craigslist and are sold/given to friends and relatives. I sold my previous near perfect LS to a co-worker. My next door neighber sold or gave his similar near perfect LS to a family member.

Watch social/country clubs bulletin boards if you can. I've seen incredible opportunites on those.

I would expect an awfully nice pre-2001 LS for $7,500

Last edited by Kansas; 10-27-12 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-26-12, 10:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Good points Kansas

Just as primers for buyers, look through the LS 430 section to see what is coming up as these age. As nicely built-designed as they are, potential buyers will have their share of maintenance and troubles to take care of.

For one, I'm happy to have an easily accessible tranny drain plug. The WS sealed transmissions in the '04+ one will have to take additional steps to service the fluid. Add in the touch screen integration, lots of potential gremlins as they age. We already know about the air suspension.