LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 ls400 engine jumping at normal speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-12, 09:50 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ls400 engine jumping at normal speed

My 1993 lexus 400 has been performing great, until lately... it started with a jerking action at road speeds between 30 and 65 mph. It runs great at other speeds... when the jerking action begins, an adjustment of the gas petal stops the jerking, changing the load on the engine..

. i cannot tell if the problem is ignition or fuel ... It has full power and idles great. But, the jerking motion is very noticeable and is probably strong enough to cause breakage of the power train...

I drove the car about a hundred miles today, and it was worse than the sixty mile trip of yesterday...

Can anyone help with suggestions ??

The car has always beens serviced well and has been a good car...

I searched the forums, and could not find this problem listed... If you can find a former posting for me, I would very much appreciate it...
Old 09-19-12, 02:11 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If the engine is running smoothly, the likely cause is further down in the driveline. How many miles on car? When was the last tranny fluid service? Any strange noises when this occurs?
Old 09-19-12, 08:07 AM
Lexinky
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
If the engine is running smoothly, the likely cause is further down in the driveline. How many miles on car? When was the last tranny fluid service? Any strange noises when this occurs?

X2, it may be the the torque converter or some other transmission related issue.

Torque converters will sometimes shudder at mid range speeds under light acceleration as they lock and unlock.
Old 09-21-12, 06:10 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

Default lexus ls400

Originally Posted by RA40
I cannot tell if the engine is the culprit... the jerking action is about two jumps per second and only happens after the engine is at normal op temp and the car is in overdrive with very light load. The jerking stops if I accelerate or de-accelerate... If I remain at the same speed, the jerking continues... Any change of the acceleration of the car stops the jerking for a couple of minutes.

At times I can drive for fifty miles and there is no problem, and other times the jerking starts with ten miles from a cold startup.

I think that the jerking action is too severe to be the torque converter unlocking... it is more like the engine in totally shutting down for a fraction of a second each time it jerks.

I cannot find a problem with the ignition and the fuel supply seems to be plentiful, as the car accelerates very well with no pausing or skipping. It idles very smoothly and starts like new...

Could the EGR be at fault ??

I know the computer could do this, but I do not have a replacement, and dont want to buy one and still have the same problem...

thanks guys for your help..

bob
Old 09-21-12, 06:17 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

BTW: Mike, my car looks exactly like your avatar except the wheels....

the car has approx 177K miles, but had an engine rebuild about 55K ago... and has been serviced very well... this is the first problem since the engine rebuild...
Old 09-21-12, 06:24 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your reply... the car does not jump as much if I manually lock out overdrive, but still jumps at normal driving speeds with light load... shifting the PWR tranny switch also does not change the jumping...

Is there a way to lock/unlock the torque converter manually ???

I am afraid that the jerking motion is going to break the drivetrain if I continue driving it, but it is not worth spending a Lexus shop repair...
Old 09-21-12, 06:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What RMP range and any gear this occurs with repeatable frequency? How is the tranny fluid? Past threads have had some positive changes when the fluid is drained and fresh is cycled through. These are low $ attempts so if the fresh fluid doesn't bring changes you can work your way up.

Though extreme, this may be a thread to have in mind if ECU related.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...es-solved.html
Old 09-21-12, 07:14 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

normal rpm at any speed from 30 to 55 mph... as long as the car is moving at a constant speed... the jumping stops completely at 65 mph and runs great at any speed above 65 mph and under 30 mph... the problem still occurs with OD turned off and at the same road speed... looks like not not directly related to engine rpm except within the range listed...

transmission fluid/filter change approx. 20K miles ago. Fluid still looks new and at proper level.

Transmission shifts properly and smoothly. OD shifts properly and unlocks smoothly...

Seems that problem is more related to engine rpm at constant value.

BTW: the computer was serviced by a guy on EBAY 18 months ago for another reason... possiblity he did not complete the job... I will pull it and inspect the caps... should have done it myself the first time since I am a retired electronics engineer, but at the time, did not 'feel' like it.... my bad...

thanks again...

Last edited by keerc; 09-21-12 at 08:11 PM.