LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Heat reduction for the hot summer coming

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 03:44 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Heat reduction for the hot summer coming

With a record setting year so far I just wanted to share some basics on at least one good way to reduce heat. Below is some general information regarding window tint facts. I also included a few pics of the tint I just put on my LS 400. It's actually really funny there are two cop cars in the background when I took the pics. Obviously, it's important to abide to your local laws regarding the level your allowed to tint. In Puerto Rico the laws are much more lax for window tint. Probably because it is summer here all year round. I tinted the 4 doors and the rear window at 20% and the front windshield at 35%. I don't believe it is legal anywhere in the Continental United States to tint the whole windshield with any color but you can have a tint shop put on the clear tint to provide some heat reduction and it will block UV rays as well. Another note, it does look a lot darker from the outside then it does from inside.

Level of Heat Reduction

According to 3M and the Window Tint Factory, expect to reduce up to 99 percent of the ultraviolet rays of the sun with factory window tints and films, and up to 79 percent of the heat associated with those rays which typically occur through most windows.

Types of Window Tints

Window tint solutions can range from five percent to no tint. Using a window film with non-metal technology has been known to provide superior heat rejection with low reflectivity, as offered by companies such as 3M. According to 3M, clear window films that are constructed using metal can have a tendency to corrode, particularly in coastal environments. In addition, they can have the potential to cause cell phone and wireless device interference.

Solar control films can achieve better than average heat reduction and are usually invisible when applied to glass, so they will not darken a room or interfere with a beautiful view, either day or night.

Light Blockage

Most of the more advanced window tints and films designed are to be more transparent than those of the past. Therefore, those that are not dark or shiny will not change the interior or exterior view of a home or building.

Energy Savings

Window tints and films save energy with less of a need for air conditioning in the warmer months. Another benefit with window film is that they can reduce winter heat loss by reflecting indoor heat back into rooms. The window film variety helps seal out water during rain, snow, sleet and storms, which is the primary cause of property damage. The window films are designed to withstand day-to-day abuse from a variety of environmental factors.

Safety

Safety and security can also be enhanced as the window film solution also provides a safety net in the form of fragment retention through destructive weather, unexpected smash-and-grab crimes or acts of God or terrorism.

Other Benefits

In addition to heat reduction, window tint and film treatments can also provide better glare rejection, UV and fade protection, better visual manifestation and graphics, as well as overall better privacy and security for any dwelling, whether business or residence.

Visual appeal is enhanced as the window film can be much easier on the eyes than traditional, uncovered glass windows. Window film provides a more pleasing and unified appearance while providing glare reduction.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5732840_heat-reduction-window-tint.html
Attached Thumbnails Heat reduction for the hot summer coming-photo-1.jpg   Heat reduction for the hot summer coming-photo-2.jpg  
Old 05-09-12, 04:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Good post.

Tint films have come a long way and help tremendously. Made a significant difference in comfort in ours even though it is a light shade at 35% transmission. Ours I had Llumar metallic installed. I'd consider a ceramic at 40-50% if I were doing it now.

I also use one of those reflective sun shades if I have to park facing the sun. The seats get pretty hot since the front windshield is clear.
Old 05-09-12, 08:22 PM
Temptation
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tips !!

By the way, are those cops behind your car giving you ticket for tinted window?
Old 05-09-12, 08:41 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Temptation
Good tips !!

By the way, are those cops behind your car giving you ticket for tinted window?
No, I'm actually staying at a little hotel for a few days while some work is being done on my house and for some reason the cops come by all the time and get a drink, hang out for a bit, then leave. I was laughing that two cop cars showed up just as as I was taking the pics. What can you do....
Old 05-11-12, 04:40 AM
Boyscout
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

is your front window tinted?

Where i live it is illegal to tint any window that is beside or infront of the driver.
Old 05-11-12, 10:27 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boyscout
is your front window tinted?

Where i live it is illegal to tint any window that is beside or infront of the driver.
Yes, the windshield is tinted at 35%. Makes a huge difference for heat reduction. I live in Puerto Rico. It is a US territory and the window tint laws here are not as strict and rarely enforced.
Old 05-11-12, 10:45 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

what i've learned is to pay attention to the TSER, total solor energy rejected number. most ceramic tints have a good number. more on this on the socal official tint thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...thread-60.html

here is an excerpt.

Originally Posted by VIPtint
not true that all decent films block UV not IR, only spectrally selective films block IR.. they all block out IR as well. the better films just block out more.

however it all depends on the spectrum of IR that is blocked. the band of IR is pretty broad and all manufacturers spec their highest blockage regardless if its within the spectrum of IR of natural light. so its kind of misleading. TSER it "total solar energy rejected". films that block IR are actually high absorbers.

window film can do 3 things with the heat:
transmit it
absorb it
reflect it

it can get pretty damn complicated. on residential and commercial buildings we cant use films that absorb over a certain amount, we have to use films that reflect. huper was the first res/comm company to promote their products on auto. but as you probably know they are slightly reflective. reflective isnt desired in the auto industry so most manufacturers have resorted to IR absorbers. so the heat is held in the glass which still heats up the car and will actually shorten the lifetime of the tint IMHO.
Originally Posted by VIPtint
just remember peeps, its not always just the BRAND of tint, but also the LINE of tint they are using. you can ask the shop what line of film they use, then refer to that brands website.

everybody does a lot of research about the parts they put on their car. tint should be the same way.

every brand out there makes at least 5 different lines of film, ranging from super cheap (the kind they sell to the $99 shops) to premium films (like nano and ceramic films which normally cost $500+ per car)

you can also call the manufacturer to confirm if certain shops carry their film. there are many shops out there that advertise brands they dont even carry.

i hate it when i get mad customers from other shops complaining about their film. they say they got so and so, and i tell them that they basically got ripped off.