LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Valve covor gasket removed and replaced

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 06:08 PM
yanivsme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve covor gasket removed and replaced

1995 Lexus LS400 97k miles

I was told about a month ago (when I got my oil changed) that I need my valve cover gasket removed and replaced. The parts I need are
2 valve covor gaskets
1 pcv valve
1 pcv valve grommet

Ive called around to a few shops and im being qouted between $300-350 for parts and labor.

The last place I just called told me to do it the right way and replace the seal washers on both banks, all spark plug tube seals and something to do with my intake platnium? Of course with a %10 discount because Im a teacher.

Thing that worries me is I just called him 20 mins before closing and he has room for me tomorrow morning (labor day) where other shops are booked for a few days..

Anybody have any insight on this?

PS being a teacher sucks when you have car issues...all shop are closed on my way to work and just about closed when I get home and closed on the weekends!!

Thanks in advance..
Old 11-10-10, 06:25 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well if he can work on it asap then go for it. he sounds like a promising mech but make sure u ask for all the old parts too .
Old 11-10-10, 06:46 PM
yanivsme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
well if he can work on it asap then go for it. he sounds like a promising mech but make sure u ask for all the old parts too .
So your saying his suggestions are accurate and needed?
Old 11-10-10, 07:42 PM
97CE LS400
Rookie

Originally Posted by yanivsme
1995 Lexus LS400 97k miles

I was told about a month ago (when I got my oil changed) that I need my valve cover gasket removed and replaced. The parts I need are
2 valve covor gaskets
1 pcv valve
1 pcv valve grommet

Ive called around to a few shops and im being qouted between $300-350 for parts and labor.

The last place I just called told me to do it the right way and replace the seal washers on both banks, all spark plug tube seals and something to do with my intake platnium? Of course with a %10 discount because Im a teacher.

Thing that worries me is I just called him 20 mins before closing and he has room for me tomorrow morning (labor day) where other shops are booked for a few days..

Anybody have any insight on this?

PS being a teacher sucks when you have car issues...all shop are closed on my way to work and just about closed when I get home and closed on the weekends!!

Thanks in advance..
Dont you mean Veterans Day?
Old 11-10-10, 08:48 PM
yanivsme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97CE LS400
Dont you mean Veterans Day?
I did....my bad. Loooong day, much props to the vets
Old 11-10-10, 09:22 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

First thing I'd do is to question whether the valve cover gaskets really need replacing. Was it that you got an oil change and someone noticed a leak and pulled that out of the air, or did they really see where the leak was coming from?

PCV valve and grommet are cheap and can be replaced by you (I guarantee it) for < $20. See instructions at
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html

Good luck.
Old 11-10-10, 11:20 PM
yanivsme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldskewel
First thing I'd do is to question whether the valve cover gaskets really need replacing. Was it that you got an oil change and someone noticed a leak and pulled that out of the air, or did they really see where the leak was coming from?

PCV valve and grommet are cheap and can be replaced by you (I guarantee it) for < $20. See instructions at
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html

Good luck.

yeah I took my car in to get an oil change and the mechanic showed me where the oil was leaking from pressure. I know a little about cars but not enough to name each or most parts of the engine.

I know that one side valve cover gasket had a little standing oil and the other has a little dried up oil but it has looked like that forever and it has never been an issue. I love my car and dont know if this is something that NEEDS to be fixed or else...

I love working on my car usually with someone else who knows more but my hours are tough and weekends seem to be getting shorter but Ill take a look at the link you posted and go from there.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old 11-11-10, 03:12 AM
Extrudedco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your valve cover gaskets are leaking, there's a good chance your spark tube seals are leaking as well, and you might as well replace them while the valve covers are off. (oil sitting on top of the valve cover is most likely seeping past the tube seals, not the main cover gasket)

The PCV valve and grommet isn't too difficult to replace if it's not the original one. If it is the original, it's more difficult than it looks due to the grommet being rock hard. I had to use a hammer and a screwdriver as a chisel to get mine out, even with the valve cover off the engine.

The rest of the intake seals (intake plenum is what they were talking about) are generally reusable, though you can expect to have a few odd hoses that need to be replaced after they break during disassembly.

Honestly, if you're not getting significant oil leaking onto the ground, and only have a small amount pooling on one valve cover, it can wait. If you start seeing performance issues from oil leaking into the spark plug tubes it's probably something worth doing, just to keep your ignition components in good working order (not to mention potential lost fuel economy at 3$ a gallon).

A leaking valve cover, barring certain extreme scenarios, won't leave you stranded, so it's a pretty low priority repair if time/money is tight.
Old 11-11-10, 09:47 AM
yanivsme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Extrudedco
If your valve cover gaskets are leaking, there's a good chance your spark tube seals are leaking as well, and you might as well replace them while the valve covers are off. (oil sitting on top of the valve cover is most likely seeping past the tube seals, not the main cover gasket)

The PCV valve and grommet isn't too difficult to replace if it's not the original one. If it is the original, it's more difficult than it looks due to the grommet being rock hard. I had to use a hammer and a screwdriver as a chisel to get mine out, even with the valve cover off the engine.

The rest of the intake seals (intake plenum is what they were talking about) are generally reusable, though you can expect to have a few odd hoses that need to be replaced after they break during disassembly.

Honestly, if you're not getting significant oil leaking onto the ground, and only have a small amount pooling on one valve cover, it can wait. If you start seeing performance issues from oil leaking into the spark plug tubes it's probably something worth doing, just to keep your ignition components in good working order (not to mention potential lost fuel economy at 3$ a gallon).

A leaking valve cover, barring certain extreme scenarios, won't leave you stranded, so it's a pretty low priority repair if time/money is tight.
The performance of the car seems fine......nothing different.

There is no oil in my drivway so Im thinking its not too serious. I will check my oil once a week and make sure Im not loosing too much. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-11-10, 11:04 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by yanivsme
I did....my bad. Loooong day, much props to the vets
I can see why you would mix those days up, being a teacher, ya just get too many days off and it's hard to keep track of them all. Just kiddin'
Anyway, I guess you didn't bring it in, (seeing the time of your last post) valve covers leaking is something you will have to change, if you think they are bad. They usually start leaking in the back, where you can't see it. You won't see it leaking on the ground b/c of the lower engine cover. The PCV valve grommet is hard to change with the valve cover on b/c if it's hard and brittle it will break and it WILL fall inside. Everything else he mentioned is pretty much preventive maintenance while the covers are off. My advice would be to get it done when you have time, no extreme rush on it.
Old 11-11-10, 11:35 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Extrudedco

Good reply.
Old 11-11-10, 12:11 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

hg set on ebay is like $80, pcv grommet is like $3 at autozone, and pcv valve at most needs cleaned out with a can of brake parts cleaner. $3. to change the valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals, and bolt grommets, shouldnt take more then 2hrs tops. 3 if your a total noob. nothing really complex has to be removed to take the valve covers off. hardest thing is the tb for the passenger side valve cover. and he prolly meant a new tb gasket. the plenum doesnt need removed to change the valve cover gaskets. might want to change the plugs($3 each for ngk platinum's) while you have the covers and stuff off though. if you were local id say buy the parts and id do it for $100. thats less then $200 total.