Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

valve cover gasket

Old 06-22-08, 11:38 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover gasket

I replaced my spark plugs but there was some oil so my valve gaskets are leaking. I searched the forums I did not find much info on valve gasket replacement. Does any one knows what other parts need to be replaced?
Does anyone know the list of parts I need. In one of the post someone mentioned sealer do i need to get some ?
Old 06-22-08, 11:54 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

That would be the cause of the problem. I didnt realize how bad mine were until I changed my clutch out and noticed that my top of the transmission was drenched in oil coming from the rear section of the head because of the bad gaskets. I changed mine and my brothers out. I cleaned the oil up. No more leak.
Old 06-23-08, 12:20 AM
deruvian
Driver

It really isn't that hard to do, just tedious. I went at a slow and easy pace and it took me probably about 6 - 7 hours. I also checked the valve clearance, replaced the spark plugs and plug wires, did a compression check, and cleaned the TB and valve covers really well (and ate lunch of course). If you can, I recommend doing all those things while you're in there. Go big or go home.

Take a look at your engine bay. See all that stuff atop the engine? Yeah, it all has to come off. Obviously the intake, plug wires, and TB are easy. The TB y-pipe is a bit of a pain, and moving the EGRV around is a total ***** (the only way I saw to get at everything involved removing the EGRV). If you can do it without taking off the EGR then good for you. Take some pictures, relish in your success, write a how-to and I will buy you a sandwich. There are many vacuum tubes, most of which are pretty easy to get to. Just be sure to mark them all with some masking tape and a numbering system or something.

If I had to pick the most difficult/annoying things, it'd be the EGR and some of the bolts/nuts that are literally underneath the TB.

If you have any questions, ask. You can buy the gaskets from Carson Toyota here.
Old 06-27-08, 11:38 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I to have been looking for some help with this as well for 97 SC300 I have alldata but that really does not help much for this project. deruvian is there anything special that we need to know about like other gaskets, seals or tools required?
Old 06-28-08, 11:42 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Do I need to use RTV to seal the valve cover gaskets? I have these off now, so a quick answer is much appreciated.
Old 06-28-08, 06:28 PM
deruvian
Driver

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
I to have been looking for some help with this as well for 97 SC300 I have alldata but that really does not help much for this project. deruvian is there anything special that we need to know about like other gaskets, seals or tools required?
No, no special tools. Just basic tools and a little determination.

Originally Posted by TommySC
Do I need to use RTV to seal the valve cover gaskets? I have these off now, so a quick answer is much appreciated.
I used just a very small bead of high-temp silicon on the surface after cleaning it super well. Has been fine for months now.
Old 06-28-08, 06:52 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

I just got mine car done. The only hard part was taking out the pipe that goes to egr valve. It took me 7 hours to get the job done. My old valve gaskets where cracking and very hard. Now I gat brand new gaskets, spark plugs wire set and etc. And car runs the same.

Last edited by tritron; 06-28-08 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 08:25 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

HMMM it seems pretty forward to be honest, so I think Im going to take the first day of my vacation to change the VCG, plugs/wires,drive belt, Timing belt and other things that I'm sure I will find the urge to change lol.

Thanks to the Supraforum I found the repair manual for the 95 Supra which has the 2jzge/2jzgte engine in it, if someone can tell me how to post a link I will be more than happy to.