LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cleaned solenoid/pump screens, still heavy steering - who has plugged their ICV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 06:10 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cleaned solenoid/pump screens, still heavy steering - who has plugged their ICV?

UPDATE - after about a week, the steering started working fine again.... 3 weeks, steers with ease! So everything seems OK now. Apparently had air in the lines.

Well, to recap a little, I had a leaky PS pump hose and we plugged the idle-up valve on my 1991 LS400 with 225K miles. The steering had always been easy to turn... even after the idle-up valve was blocked, it was fine for about two weeks.

Then I developed a shudder at low speed turns, then it got to where the steering was harder to turn... then it was consistantly heavier steering at all speeds and all RPMS.

I was told it could be the solenoid. I checked mine, it (screens) were not that clogged, but it was not "clicking" when powered up. Someone on another LS forum found me one off of a 1994 LS400 for $50. It worked (clicked), but the screens were clogged. We cleaned them, then had to change the plugs, as the 94 is different than the 91, why, I dont know.

Installed the solenoid... still had heavy steering. SO.... upon recommendation I removed the pump reservoir and cleaned the screen, which was actually already clean. Reinstalled and I STILL have heavy steering at all RPMS. I have some power assist, but not much... maybe 25-30%.

I have been wondering if it was where I plugged the ICV valve, but I dont think so since it was not like this for two weeks after we blocked it.

I am wondering how everyone else that has actually plugged their ICV valve, how their steering behaves? Is it heavier than it was before at all speeds? It was my understanding that blocking this valve was almost not even noticable and was only noticable when the car was stopped and steering was turned. Is this not the case though? Strange because sometimes when I first start it in the mornings, the car will steer easily for about 10 seconds and its like you flipped a switch and its stiff again.

All I can think of is that the pump is shot (but its not whining) or the rack. I would hate to replace one and it be the other. I cannot afford even one, much less both.

I have decided to sell this car, but I owe $2000 and trying to get it up to par so I can sell it. I have well over $4K in it, but oh well. I have learned my lesson to never buy a LS again... too costly for me to maintain.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 12-31-09 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 06:37 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it really bother you that much? IMHO It sounds like you wasted alot of money on an issue most peeps are willing to live with. I count my lucky stars I dont have the power steering issues a few other members on this board have.
Old 12-14-09, 06:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the LS imo is actually TOO light steering...
Old 12-14-09, 06:51 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brandicus
I dont have the power steering issues a few other members on this board have.
You are lucky. All in due time though. Its inevitable on these cars. Crappiest PS systems I have ever dealt with. I have owned alot of cars over the years and this car has given me more PS problems than anything. Heck, I have two old American cars... nearly 40 years old with perfect PS systems, but they are more basic than this LS's steering. However my old 1990 LS400 had 280K and the PS was fine.... it did leak a little though.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
the LS imo is actually TOO light steering...
Well, hopefully the potential buyers will feel the same way and like it. Its fine at higher speeds, but in town, low speed turns, it annoys me.
Old 12-15-09, 01:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well dont forget, LS400 was one of the first cars with power steering and the rack and pinion system - most other cars at that time still used recirculating ball steering. As with any new technology, quirks are to be expected.

With that being said, your pump itself might be on the way out, or maybe your rack and pinion is leaking.
Old 12-15-09, 10:17 AM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Rack leaking? How do you mean that? Does it lose air pressure or something? I ask that because I am not losing any fluid.

Originally Posted by Och
Well dont forget, LS400 was one of the first cars with power steering and the rack and pinion system - most other cars at that time still used recirculating ball steering. As with any new technology, quirks are to be expected.

With that being said, your pump itself might be on the way out, or maybe your rack and pinion is leaking.
Old 12-15-09, 04:00 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Wow, I dont guess it matters now... after 30 minutes of driving it (took it to the shop and had the throttle body cleaned) the steering is now turning with ease..... even when stopped! Not sure how long it will last, but I am hoping it only had air in the line.
Old 12-15-09, 04:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sooo how does ur foot taste?
Old 12-20-09, 06:30 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

It started steering easily again today... but for how long. The humanity.
Old 12-30-09, 10:40 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I should have left well enough alone. My power steering worked good and I thought I would flush it for preventive maintenance. Now I have the thr no power steering problem you have. I think I need to clean the resevoir screen. The solenoid screen is good and the solenoid is working. So tomorrow I am removing the resevoir and cleaning it. Hope that fixes it. Should of stuck with "if it aint broke don't fix it" philosophy
Old 12-31-09, 11:16 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Well I took the resevoir off and took the resevoir apart. Got rid of the internal filter and cleaned it out. put it back in. Flushed the system again. put an inline filter and now everything works as it should. Now I can just change the inline filter once in a while to keep things clean.
Old 12-31-09, 04:02 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Oh yeah - been there done that on the leave well enough alone deal.

Well, I updated it... my steering started working again about a week later. Apparently after all of that I had air in the lines. Not sure if it was the screen in the reservoir or not, but it could have been that.

I read where you removed your reservoir. Hopefully you didnt have as much trouble as I did. I never did get one of the bolts back in the reservoir... the one near the engine... I got those two tight and it dont move or anything, so I guess its OK.

Originally Posted by sam12345
Well I should have left well enough alone. My power steering worked good and I thought I would flush it for preventive maintenance. Now I have the thr no power steering problem you have. I think I need to clean the resevoir screen. The solenoid screen is good and the solenoid is working. So tomorrow I am removing the resevoir and cleaning it. Hope that fixes it. Should of stuck with "if it aint broke don't fix it" philosophy
Well I took the resevoir off and took the resevoir apart. Got rid of the internal filter and cleaned it out. put it back in. Flushed the system again. put an inline filter and now everything works as it should. Now I can just change the inline filter once in a while to keep things clean.
Old 01-04-10, 01:05 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

No problem with the bolts and I did not take the pulley off as some on this site have suggested. You can align the pulley holes with the bolt and presto. On the hard to get to bolt I used the 2 finger method (use one finger from each hand) took me a while but not too hard (and I have big hands). Did you completely get rid of youre resevoir filter or just tried to clean it? I don't think you can clean the internal filter very well (I even used air from my compressor) so I completely removed it. Also when the filter was plugged (before I removed it) I would look in my resevoir and would see no circulation of fluid at idle. After I removed the filter and added the inline filter I could see good circulation of fluid at idle. Look at that because once you have good circulation the bleeding of the air is a non issue. My bet is that your filter is still dirty . If I was you I would remove it and add a inline filter.
Old 01-04-10, 07:22 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

I did that too on the pulley... I cranked the engine until one of the holes was in front of the bolt. It was much easier. That bolt was easy as was the one on the bottom... it was the other I gave up on. I have short fingers and I could not get it. The two thats on there seems sufficient.

Well as far as the screen goes, I am not even sure it was all that dirty, as I could see light all the way through it. I soaked it down with 3M adhesive remover and shook it, let it dry... I re-installed it... then as mentioned a week later my steering was fine again... it steers easily all of the time, which satisifies me and if you knew the problems I had with my PS before, you would know why I am happy with it now.

Irony is I am selling the car now and may be sold as early as Wednesday. I already miss it, but I wont miss the headaches.

No problem with the bolts and I did not take the pulley off as some on this site have suggested. You can align the pulley holes with the bolt and presto. On the hard to get to bolt I used the 2 finger method (use one finger from each hand) took me a while but not too hard (and I have big hands). Did you completely get rid of youre resevoir filter or just tried to clean it? I don't think you can clean the internal filter very well (I even used air from my compressor) so I completely removed it. Also when the filter was plugged (before I removed it) I would look in my resevoir and would see no circulation of fluid at idle. After I removed the filter and added the inline filter I could see good circulation of fluid at idle. Look at that because once you have good circulation the bleeding of the air is a non issue. My bet is that your filter is still dirty . If I was you I would remove it and add a inline filter.