LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brand new owner of a 1993 ls400. NEED ADVICE! PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 01:38 PM
VIP_REEPER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new owner of a 1993 ls400. NEED ADVICE! PLEASE!

Hey there everyone! I am very new to this forum, as well as the Lexus world. I just bought my first Lexus yesterday (a 1993 Lexus Ls400). So please bear with my in-experience and nature of some of my questions. Here is my new vehicle...

Now, I would like to ask some questions, since I have NO idea about the luxury world (had a little race-car before)...

1) The previous owner installed HID headlights ( I don't know what kind, since he had no documentation). The front right one will remain off, but flickers like a strobe-light from time-to-time. And every time you leave the vehicle for more than 5 minutes, you have to disconnect the battery, or it will be drained when you get back. Any ideas what it may be other than just an electrical problem?

2) The vehicle has no exhaust pipe, which in mind is a good thing since I wanted to put a new one anyways. I would like to have a dual exhaust. Any suggestions on where to check for that?

3) The car does had 200k+ miles on it. Should I wait for a engine swap/rebuild?

4) Basically I want to go VIP with this vehicle. I have a few ideas. But I am located in Las Vegas, NV. And I really don't know many trust-worthy mechanics out here. Any suggestions of a good VIP shop in the Southwest region?

5) The body kit is alright. But I would like something more ... VIP-ish. Any thoughts or ideas?

6) VIP is all about the rims. I knew a guy out here that had some nice ones, but had to go out of business because of the economy. I just don't know any trust-worthy merchants in that department. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time for reading this. I hope to hear back from the Lexus family. And boy, does it feel great to be able to join in.

Have a Great DAY!
Old 09-09-09, 02:40 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that car was chris's car from san diego? that car used to look sick. welcome to the forums. pm me if you need help.
Old 09-09-09, 03:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quite frankly it looks like you bought someone's headache. The car looks like a wreck, I hope you didn't pay more than $500-1000 for it.
Old 09-09-09, 09:10 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trying to help...

Welcome to the "club". Looks like you have you work cut out for you. Nice car, just doesn't look to clean anymore. Good thing you came to the right place, there are tons of people here that not only have been there and done that, but can help with pictures and tutorials for you to follow. Again, welcome.

1) This is normal for cars that didn't leave the factory with HIDs, this is because new cars have things like capacitors, and other temporary storage to allow things like lights, radios, and windows all stay on for a minute or so after the car is off. Easy fix would be to just replace the HIDs with normal halogen bulbs and stick them in there, you won't have a problem with those as you don't have to maintain 12 volts to keep them running, like you do with HIDs. I would suggest that 2 things.... Your battery is on the fritz, either it's not holding a charge well, or the next thing is your alternator isn't keeping the battery charged enough. One way to check is get a CHEAP A$$ voltmeter, with the car running, put the voltmeter leads on the battery. If battery reads <12.6 there is an issue in the charging system. If the battery reads 13.5-14.5, your charging system is right on, the battery can't hold onto the voltage as it passes by.

2) I would wait until you get your body kit to get your exhaust unless you can't wait. I wouldn't want to have to cut holes in the new kit, whereas you can always have the exhaust made to fit the existing holes. You can either by aftermarket companies that are direct-fit, which is close to stock.... OR..... you can go out and purchase a set of custom pipes probably for close to the same price... There is a guy in Minnesota that is known for Hotrod stuff and that is where I go now after being burned on my LS4 project.

3) 200k is normal for these motors, I saw a Craigslist ad here about a year ago, the guy put 500k on original motor and tranny. These motors are very well built, so as far as rebuilding it, I wouldn't because you can buy a low mileage motor for less than you can buy the parts for a rebuild. I spend $600+ on the rebuild gasket kit, water pump, idler bearings, t-belt, tensioner, where on eBay you can buy a mint 1UZ for that price. If it leaks oil, take care of it, otherwise don't worry too much about it. One thing that these motors do is leak from front and rear main seals, starters and timing belts w/ water pumps are all common major fixes. Do some searching first, then have at er'.

4) Sorry, can't help out here.

5) Not here either. Puredrifter should be coming along soon with some good ideas.

6) VIP is partly rims, if it were only that, everyone would be VIPing. The kit, wheels, fitment, add-ons, dress ups, etc. etc.... it's the little things that set you apart from the field.
Old 09-09-09, 10:05 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

learn to use the search function on this forum. it will be your best friend. almost all the info is already there.
Old 09-09-09, 10:10 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yep looks like chrisngos car....hmm he took out the rear leds also.
Old 09-09-09, 10:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Quite frankly it looks like you bought someone's headache. The car looks like a wreck, I hope you didn't pay more than $500-1000 for it.
looks can be deceiving, member chrisngo put a lot of time into this car back in the day, ended up parting it out mostly and selling it stock suspension and wheels and interiorr.
Old 09-09-09, 12:55 PM
genetic
Lead Lap

Chris did put a lot of work in it, i wouldn't knock on it.
Old 09-09-09, 03:55 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi,

Does your HID Kit use a relay harness or are the ballasts powered directly from the OEM wiring? If a relay harness is being used the relay may be sticking.

Steve
Old 09-13-09, 09:27 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

I think it would be easy to bring this car back to life
Old 09-13-09, 12:11 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

hehe i bought the wheels off this car and saw it in its glory before it was parted out it was beautiful:
Attached Thumbnails Brand new owner of a 1993 ls400. NEED ADVICE! PLEASE!-dcp5246zv4.jpg  
Old 09-13-09, 05:11 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I met Chrisngo a few days ago. Great guy. He traded his car for a truck a while back, so this isn't it. Pretty darned close though.
Old 09-13-09, 06:42 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

im basically 100% sure that its chrisngos this guys ls has the exact led back up ligh cutouts in the rear bumper odds of that are ultra slim to none
Old 09-13-09, 06:47 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea avalon thats Chris old car...same led cutouts like hobojoe said..single side exhaust, same bodykit, same paint.

maybe he exchanged the car for a truck?
Old 09-13-09, 06:49 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

not to mention i have a buttload of pics of the thing haha, i bought his wheels but he didnt wana sell me the kit

Quick Reply: Brand new owner of a 1993 ls400. NEED ADVICE! PLEASE!