LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help LED Strip wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 03:49 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help LED Strip wiring

for a 1999 Lexus LS400.....I got the LED grille lights but i need help how to hook it up so it would go on when i turn my car on. i have no idea where the red black and yellow connect but i was able to work it out on a 9V battery. Also does anyone know how to rewire the fog lights to it will always be on?

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...8/CIMG5252.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...8/CIMG5253.jpg
Old 06-04-09, 03:58 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmm whats the yellow? red/black is obvious. any instructions that came with it?
Old 06-04-09, 04:20 PM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe red is power, black is ground, and yellow is signal?

I haven't seen these grile lights before.. any pics of what it is supposed to look like when you install em?
Old 06-04-09, 04:28 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

http://celsiorup.com/image/custom20/...tybeam_047.jpg

it looks something like that. pretty much if i use a 9V battery the black wire is negative and the yellow and red are positive, if i just connect the black and red it blinks if i connect all 3 does not blink and just stays on which i want. but i can't figure out how to connect it too my car....and instructions none
Old 06-04-09, 05:03 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nordoyan
http://celsiorup.com/image/custom20/...tybeam_047.jpg

it looks something like that. pretty much if i use a 9V battery the black wire is negative and the yellow and red are positive, if i just connect the black and red it blinks if i connect all 3 does not blink and just stays on which i want. but i can't figure out how to connect it too my car....and instructions none
If you connect the yellow and black, what happens? And what do you mean you don't know how to connect it to your car? It depends on what you want to signal, you can make your own circuit or you can tap existing wiring when the car turns on or when headlights turn on. Up to you.
Old 06-04-09, 05:28 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by avalon42
If you connect the yellow and black, what happens? And what do you mean you don't know how to connect it to your car? It depends on what you want to signal, you can make your own circuit or you can tap existing wiring when the car turns on or when headlights turn on. Up to you.
if i connect the yellow and black nothing happens. And that's what i need help in how to make or tap into the existing wiring, im just a regular guy im not a mechanic or anything to know these things so if u can help me out it would be great. i want to it too work like the little bulb in my headlight, you know wen you turn your headlights on there are 3 clicks the first click small lights come on then the second click low beams and headlights and the small lights still stay on and the 3rd one is the automatic on and off for headlights i want to connect it to the first click.
Old 06-04-09, 05:55 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nordoyan
if i connect the yellow and black nothing happens. And that's what i need help in how to make or tap into the existing wiring, im just a regular guy im not a mechanic or anything to know these things so if u can help me out it would be great. i want to it too work like the little bulb in my headlight, you know wen you turn your headlights on there are 3 clicks the first click small lights come on then the second click low beams and headlights and the small lights still stay on and the 3rd one is the automatic on and off for headlights i want to connect it to the first click.
Well, there is some significant work that needs to be done. You CAN run the red and yellow wire to the wire for the small bulb. You can tap the existing wiring from the small headlight (should not be hard to find). You can use something like this. http://maxima.bryanb.com/fog/fog12.jpg

First, you need to identify which of the two wires from the car wiring is positive and negative. You will connect the red and yellow wire to the positive using the tap. For the black, you can just find a grounding point somewhere on your car, preferably NOT back to the original circuit.

Depending on where you are located in CA, I am sure a member from CL here can do the work for you in exchange for a case of brewskis.

You could also build your own circuit to a seperate relay (even a switch) if you want, but thats more wiring and time.
Old 06-04-09, 10:05 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

thnx i'll give that a try and see what happens
Old 06-04-09, 10:44 PM
joeazy187
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If that dont work you could tap the ground to the car and the 12v (power) to your parking light fuse. An you wont need to run wires for a switch cuz it would work off you headlight switch.

Last edited by joeazy187; 06-04-09 at 10:50 PM.