LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

trans rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-02, 06:24 PM
Lvangundy

Default trans rebuild...

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was quoted $2,450.00 for a transmission rebuild for my 1990 LS.

!

Is this normal?

My trans has alot of wear on it, and now it feels like a clutch slip when accelerating to 2nd gear.

The tech suggested a one time only temporary fix, to put half a cup of brake fluid into the trans fluid to soften rubber seals inside the transmission. He said no guarantee on that working, h said in some cases it helps.

Anyone have any other #'s to share on trans issues?
Old 03-12-02, 07:54 AM
mlevk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ever happened ?

As I remember it you had a post about someone flush it with ATF DEXTRON II ?

Did you ever have that corrected ? with the ATF TOYOTA TYPE IV ?
Old 03-12-02, 02:36 PM
Lvangundy

I had them drain the old fluid and put Toyota Type II. They didn't change the filter of completely flush out the dexron.

I've talked to other techs who say that using dexron in a toyota won't damage it, but the toyota has the added viscosity ingredients.

I was gunna post another thread, but my trans is really starting to act up now. It shifts funny and slips sometimes. It's getting louder and has lost alot of power.

Am I the first to be a LS transmission failure victom????

I can't afford the get the trans rebuilt and I'm still making monthly payments on the car itself!! I feel really screwed and don't know what to do. The car otherwise is in great condition (see pics at www.ldvg.com.)

FEELING STUCK!
Old 03-13-02, 02:28 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Get a few cans of Toyota Type T-IV trans. fluid from a dealer or go to Carson Toyota and buy it from Steve Ganz ( You do live in Southern CA?)...

2. Go to Pepboy or Autozone... buy a set of rams. Go home, drive the two front wheels on to the rams (careful). Take the trans. drain bolt out, then take the pan out. You already seen how they took the pan out the last time when they F$#k it up. I don't know if you need to buy new gasket for the pan or not. Might as well ask Steve Ganz to sell you one.

3. Fill it with type T-IV, then drain it with every regular oil change for a while. If the trans. shift normal again, you fix the damn thing yourself. If not you waste less than $100 on top of the rebuild trans. price.

Where did you go for the trans. rebuild? Don't go to the big chain one. Shop around for a small shop that's has been around for a while.

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-13-02, 06:11 PM
Lvangundy

I do live in SoCal. I'm actually waiting (for a few days now) for Steve to get back to me on the prices for the OEM Lexus rotors, I figure he's busy but I wonder if he forgot.

As for the trans fluid and change I might try this, but what about the filter? Can I just clean it with water? It has dexron and toyota in it now.

And yes I did go to a smaller transmission shop in Santa Monica, Pauls Transmissions who have been in business for 25 years. A relative of mine knows a local Gardena transmission shop, I was told to check out there. (Hiro's Transmissions)
Old 03-13-02, 06:43 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the SC400 engine/trans. section about trans. fluid "Lex Luthor" did write something on how to clean the metal filter. DEFINITELY NO WATER. If you're afraid to take the trans. pan off. Try drain the trans. oil and refill with 2 qts. see if the trans. perform better.
You got to check all different avenue before facing the rebuild
How many miles on the car?
Old 03-14-02, 08:47 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An alternative to cleaning the trans filter is to buy the trans filter kit at Pepboys. Since your trans fluid is contaminated, you'll want to do a complete trans flush and not just a 2L drain. Take your car to a reputable trans shops and have them flush the old fluid out with correct fluid, or do-it-yourself if you have compressed air.
Old 03-14-02, 10:39 PM
Lvangundy

I think when I get my tax return I'm going to have it flushed out (maybe twice) again and get a new filter along with the right fluid.

It has about 129.400 miles on it.

I'm going to post a new theread about wht's WRONG with our cars...with all my problems in there.