LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Do you realize how good youve got it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 07:27 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KilaWombat
You guys are right, it does vary on driving styles. For me, I like a big comfy car and the LS is perfect.
Exactly. The LS rides smooth, looks good, and has decent powere...good stuff.
Old 03-09-08, 07:50 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avalon42
Yup. E38 740i short wheel base variant had the standard 6 spd, everything else was 5 spd automatic or 5 spd manual. Maybe the car in the Transporter was one of those 740is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E38
I used to have an E38 740iL, and it was a 5spd automatic. They all came with 5spd automatics. Overseas in Europe there was a 735i that came with a 5 or 6spd manual (not sure which, I think its a 5spd). The car in the transporter movie was a specially modified 750iL (V12) with a manual transmission put in. The V12's never came with a manual option so the car was specially adapted for the movie.

The 740i and 740iL never came with a manual transmission in the US, automatic was the only option, so the 6spd manual must have been standard overseas.

Found out the part about the V12 being modified watching the movie on TV, they had little "fun facts" about the movie and that was one of them.
Old 03-09-08, 08:40 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish the interior sounds had more cowbell...
Old 03-10-08, 07:21 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've definitely spoiled myself with this car. I'm a "car guy" and like all sorts of cars - but I don't think I could drive many of them every day. My friend has a new Mustang GT and it's pretty cool looking, but seems pretty bare-bones on the inside.

It's the little things that I've come to enjoy on this car like this stuff (but not limited to):

the auto-tilting and dimming side mirrors..

the mini visor above the rear view mirror (not to mention the regular visors cover the whole side window)

the xenon headlights..

auto up/down on all power windows

the sensors to tell you an exterior bulb is burned out (pet peeve of mine)

My constant yearn for more horsepower and luxury as I've gone through cars only lets me choose this as my next car - an LS430! ('04 and up).

Other than a few dings and scratches on my '99, it's pretty much perfect. Anyone who gets a ride in it can't believe it has 143k miles.
Old 03-10-08, 07:30 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Exactly. The LS rides smooth, looks good, and has decent powere...good stuff.
i agree...it's all about comfort to me, and this car by far fits the bill.

when i drive my wife's 2006 Ford Freestyle, it feels like a rattle trap to me!
Old 03-12-08, 08:25 PM
nawls400
Rookie

i have to agree i do it all the time, i even tease my friends about how nice my car is, and they all have 2000's and up (none Lexus') but i enjoy my '90 LS and even prefer my car to driving my mom's 1999 Benz,, not to say her car is not a nice car but i do enjoy the Lexus very much...
Old 03-12-08, 08:53 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nawls:

Yup -- I am torn between saying anything to my buddies about my car vs theirs. (Have a sensitive friend in particular hehe) -- He has a 2003 Mustang Mach (something) -- Fast as hell, of course,.. but of course it is bumpy. He looks at my car and finds one little spot of clearcoat coming off and mentions that I need to get to work on my preventative maintenance.. --

I wanna say, man I just spent under 5 grand and have a car that drives better than your 480$ a month car payment, american car, and will probably outlive it to boot. But he is the type you can't insult , but he can insult you all he wants. (IE: You crack back at him he gets all defensive and *****y.. like a woman I guess hehe).

Now his housemate/roomate is a polar opposite and has a 1993 Del Sol with 300k on it and it is still running, and also has an Acura CL (worth about 4000$) sitting on standby until his Del sol finally dies lol. This guy is the nicest person on planet earth and goes on and on about how nice the car is.. So I don't really think about how 'bad he has it' because of the way his personality is.

So I guess different people project different results in my crazy mind. -- Though overall , yes, our cars spoil us. We have to admit, looks or not, fast or not, sporty or not, 5 speed or not, 90% of the time we want to be comfortable and have conveniences/luxury as our vice during our drive time.

So even if your rolling in a $5000.00 Lexus, you are probably rolling better than alot of 20,30,40k cars brand new on the road. Never thought it possible, but I am a firm believer, at least in the LS series.
Old 03-12-08, 09:15 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neofate
Nawls:

Yup -- I am torn between saying anything to my buddies about my car vs theirs. (Have a sensitive friend in particular hehe) -- He has a 2003 Mustang Mach (something) -- Fast as hell, of course,.. but of course it is bumpy. He looks at my car and finds one little spot of clearcoat coming off and mentions that I need to get to work on my preventative maintenance.. --

I wanna say, man I just spent under 5 grand and have a car that drives better than your 480$ a month car payment, american car, and will probably outlive it to boot. But he is the type you can't insult , but he can insult you all he wants. (IE: You crack back at him he gets all defensive and *****y.. like a woman I guess hehe).

Now his housemate/roomate is a polar opposite and has a 1993 Del Sol with 300k on it and it is still running, and also has an Acura CL (worth about 4000$) sitting on standby until his Del sol finally dies lol. This guy is the nicest person on planet earth and goes on and on about how nice the car is.. So I don't really think about how 'bad he has it' because of the way his personality is.

So I guess different people project different results in my crazy mind. -- Though overall , yes, our cars spoil us. We have to admit, looks or not, fast or not, sporty or not, 5 speed or not, 90% of the time we want to be comfortable and have conveniences/luxury as our vice during our drive time.

So even if your rolling in a $5000.00 Lexus, you are probably rolling better than alot of 20,30,40k cars brand new on the road. Never thought it possible, but I am a firm believer, at least in the LS series.

Yeah I agree it's all about your preference, I have a friend who has like a 1980's VW and he is the happiest dood in the world with it...and i respect that out of everyone else though, especially because me and him are the only one's who bought our cars or even put any money into our cars at all now that i think about it (I can't think of anyone else who didn't get at least year 2000 car/truck or newer out of my friends) all their parents have bought them these $10,000 cars and up and it's like...I got a '91 that outrides and outperforms almost everyone one of their cars and I will still probably be driving my car when there's breaks down but yeah it's always great when you meet people for the first time and thell them you drive a Lexus...lol...that's my favorite part.
Old 03-12-08, 09:21 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nawls400
but yeah it's always great when you meet people for the first time and thell them you drive a Lexus...lol...that's my favorite part.
I haven't had that pleasure yet.. really to a stranger... As I've only had my girl for ~4weeks now. Looking forward to the day when it comes up,.. though I've got to stop telling people what a 'deal' I got. Sigh =)
Old 03-12-08, 09:54 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neofate
I haven't had that pleasure yet.. really to a stranger... As I've only had my girl for ~4weeks now. Looking forward to the day when it comes up,.. though I've got to stop telling people what a 'deal' I got. Sigh =)
Yeah, I even have complete strangers come up to me every once and a while and tell me what a nice car I have...haha. I got mine for a helluv a deal too...but i always just say "how much do you think I paid..." lol. Haha yeah i hate the 'deal' too...but hey we can at least say we got a Lexus...not many people can say their first car was a Lexus...(well for me anyways).
Old 03-12-08, 09:57 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

I definatly DO know how good I have it. I have driven many cars in my life, and I must say the LS is one of the best I have ever seen. It does everything very very well....and the reliability is just amazing... I am driving a 185,000 mile car that cost me less than $5K and it is better than most new cars.

I must say i like the BMW's a little more because of the great handling.. But I would NEVER trade my LS for one... the downsides of the BMW's is just way to bad...not as reliable, expensive to fix.. and you will be fixing it.

I drive a Class 6 box truck for a living.. and it is the HARDEST.. BOUNCIEST thing I have ever driven... Just horrible... I was gonna get a Jeep... but went on a trip with my Girlfriend... she has a 05 Sonata... big, cushy, and decently fast... after driving that.. I decided to look at a 4dr luxury car instead... after a long day in a bouncy truck.. why would I want to drive home in a bouncy Jeep... Found a great older LS in my price range.. and here I am.

If I was ever to get a new car... (not likely) I would actually consider a new Hyundai Sonata... Its not too expensive, good warranty, and is big, cushy, and easy to drive, decent power, decent mileage (becoming important)... And now Consumer Reports says that the reliability is much better than average... A few years ago I would NEVER have thought that possible... In the spring Hyundai is bringing out the Genesis.... supposed to compete with the LS/GS.. I guess we will see...

Have a good one.

Ken
Old 03-12-08, 11:03 PM
JBrewster
Driver

My 96 LS makes my Mom's 02 Maxima feel like a kit car.
Old 03-13-08, 06:40 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

I made a fairly logical progression in cars - 1989 tercel (reliable beater, about 70hp), '96 V6 accord (super nice, but grocery getter), 93 acura legend (still a top favorite), then my 99 LS400.
The legend was the first car I had that I really cared about, and got the detailing and modding bug. Once I paid it off I started first looking at 93-97 LS400s, which were my favorite at the time. Reading up more on the 98+ features though, I got sold on them and obssessively looked until I found a blk/blk and picked it up.
I have to say, the legend's steering/suspension and road feel was sportier and more connected, but the LS's comfort and powertrain eventually won me over by far. I almost feel guilty the car is so nice sometimes, or awkward when I park it somewhere where it looks out of place.