LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'90 LS 400 equipped with annoying sounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 08:52 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '90 LS 400 equipped with annoying sounds

i have owned my 1990 LS 400 for about 1 yr- 1 1/2 yrs. it is beginning to have these noises coming from the engine when i accelerate and when i am in motion there is a slight hissing sound. other than the car is fine. is there anyway to make this car run quieter? is it the belts that are making this irritable noises? any info would be much appreciated. thank you.
Old 02-08-02, 02:47 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

is it a clicking noise because I have that also, one of my vavles are borken and it costs around $2,000 to fix it because you have to change all of your 32 vlaves
Old 02-08-02, 06:57 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

actually i just found out my problem. it just so happens that the brake pads were fully used up and my right rotor seems to have some deep grooves in it... i replaced the brake pads, right rotor, and got my state inspection all for $150.00. i'm glad it wasn't anything big. the hissing noise is now gone. sorry to hear about your car problem bro.
Old 02-09-02, 12:25 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

i acctually have that hissing noise also when I start my car and I also have that crunch noise when I brake sometimes.....but I've taken it and my mechanic says that your brakes are fine...... give me some insight
Old 02-09-02, 07:58 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

well i knew it had to deal with the brakes because you can hear the sound reflect off of parked cars you pass by and when i was at a stop the noise would go away. its hard to hear any noise when your windows are up because the interior is so quiet. you should have your windows down and listen to how your car operates. explain to a mechanic the distinct noise that is abnormal to you. you should get more than one opinion. IMO go to a lexus dealer, well-known gas station that does work, and a joe shmoe(local mechanic). with all three of there inputs, 2/3 will say the same thing. i hope this helped you. good luck with your car man.
Old 02-15-02, 08:53 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad Bad, when changing brake pads and or rotors, always change in pair. You need to change the other side now.

Originally posted by LSPiNoY
actually i just found out my problem. it just so happens that the brake pads were fully used up and my right rotor seems to have some deep grooves in it... i replaced the brake pads, right rotor, and got my state inspection all for $150.00. i'm glad it wasn't anything big. the hissing noise is now gone. sorry to hear about your car problem bro.
Old 02-15-02, 09:32 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

i need to change the left rotor now? well thanks for telling me. when i checked the rotors, only the right side had indentions on the inner side. why would i need to replace both rotors at the same time if only the right side is worn out? the left rotor on the inner side didn't have no or minimal wear. thanks again for telling me.
Old 02-15-02, 10:16 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

i need to change the left rotor now? well thanks for telling me. when i checked the rotors, only the right side had indentions on the inner side. why would i need to replace both rotors at the same time if only the right side is worn out? the left rotor on the inner side didn't have no or minimal wear. thanks again for telling me.
Pretty much that your right rotor is about shot too. The new rotor is 32 mm thick, spec. on replace is 30 mm. Why wait untill it is. beside when you buy the pads, its came with bot left and right pads. Where is it now? Did the garage keep it and still charge you the full price.
By the way, you paid $150 for a rotor, pad for the left and inspection was a good price. If it was me, I do it myself at home and save the labor money for the left rotor
Same thing when you change the tires, alway change in pair. Best to change all four tires.
Old 02-15-02, 06:34 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Thank you for your input. I know that it is possible for me to change the rotors and brake pads, but I'd rather have my friend, who is a mechanic, work on it. Plus, if I do he does the work under his shop, it is guaranteed with a 90 day warranty. The brake pads I bought from him are lifetime warranty, so if I ever need my brake pads changed, he'll do it at no extra cost. So all together it really pays off to have him do it. If I tried to work on my car, I know it won't be warrantied. And if something happens it is just more $$$$$$$ to be spent on things that could have been prevented in the first place.

btw, i got the following replaced:

both, left and right, brake pads. (lifetime warranty)

The right rotor. (90 day warranty)

state inspection

and a pair of bulbs for the license plate

............all for $150.00.........if you want to go into detail

Last edited by LSPiNoY; 02-15-02 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-16-02, 10:26 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Like I said, $150 was a very good price. Ask your friend to replace the right rotor for you. Also, ask him if it is a good idea to replace the right side too. I beleive he has a micrometer to measure the thickness of the rotor.

Thank you for your input. I know that it is possible for me to change the rotors and brake pads, but I'd rather have my friend, who is a mechanic, work on it. Plus, if I do he does the work under his shop, it is guaranteed with a 90 day warranty. The brake pads I bought from him are lifetime warranty, so if I ever need my brake pads changed, he'll do it at no extra cost. So all together it really pays off to have him do it. If I tried to work on my car, I know it won't be warrantied. And if something happens it is just more $$$$$$$ to be spent on things that could have been prevented in the first place.

btw, i got the following replaced:

both, left and right, brake pads. (lifetime warranty)

The right rotor. (90 day warranty)

state inspection

and a pair of bulbs for the license plate

............all for $150.00.........if you want to go into detail