LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tokico Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 04:11 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hey Everyone. Just wanted to say hi. I finally joined the forum after months of just reading. I do have a question though. I'm in need of new rear struts and I've been reading that people seem to be happy with Tokico shocks. I'm not really interested in lowering the car any since the roads in my area suck. But I was wondering if these would be a good choice. I don't want to spend too much so I was also wondering where the best place to buy them would be. The place near me, car boutique, quoted me $113 each but they've got a one week delay. I know I can do better than that if I order them myself but I'm not really sure where to go. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

No mods YET, but I'm workin' on it.
Old 06-28-01, 04:36 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Fusionman79 welcome finally! the factory rear strut are good enough,so if you must just replace them with factory rear struts.

Tokico is a great choice and they are realiable.

Yeah if you have any more question's about mods,bodykits,or other stuff do not be scared to post them.
Old 06-29-01, 06:45 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the club.

Tokico shocks are good, I have some on my car.
I reccomend though since you are keeping your car stock height to go with stock struts.
The Tokico was really made to go with a lower spring setup and thus would not be as smooth as the stock struts on stock springs.
Why don't you just drop the car an inch like I did with Eibach springs?
Trust me Houston streets might as well be country roads in some parts and my car drives just fine over those roads.
The Eibachs only drops the car an inch and the ride to be more honest was a little tiny bit harsher but much more responsive to the road.
I have yet to ground out on my car and plus the it looks so much better!

Price wise $113 each is a rip off!
You can get them cheaper at Carparts.com for what I believe $97 each last time I checked.
David at GTautosports.com can probably get you a quote below that of Carparts.com.
The Eibach springs should be priced around $250 for all four if you decide to get these.
I got my whole setup with install for $600 (friendly hookups ), but just shop around and you should get them close to the range I paided for.

Good luck,

LOU
Old 06-29-01, 10:58 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Thanks guys.

Is it really wise though to drop the car if I have the original tires and rims, not the low profile ones. I would have liked to get a nice set of toyos but I got into this modding thing after I had already bought a couple of goodyears. I needed to replace the fronts a little latter so I matched those with the rears. After already spending $500 on new tires I didn't really want to drop another $1500 to $2000 to replace tires I just bought. Enough of my rambling, do you think that the car would perform okay, dropped with the original 16s and a set of goodyears? My mechanic is charging about $250 in labor and I'd hate to have to drop that again later if I change my mind.
Old 06-29-01, 11:29 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the club!!

I think you should drop it, especially if you have to replace the struts anyways. The labor costs will be almost the same. The car will perform and look much better even with stock wheels and tires. Lou is right, $113 is insane. I thought I saw them for $74 a piece at www.carparts.com and I think I saw 20% off at this site www.importhookup.com , although I don't know how reliable a company that is. Regardless, get a package deal on the shocks and springs and save some money on labor. Then if you upgrade wheels you'll be all set.

Loule, nice new icon thingy.

Last edited by zushwa; 06-29-01 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-29-01, 11:00 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

Smile

Thanks zushwa. That's a great deal. I gotta look into it a little further but I think I might go with this setup. After the discount the whole kit goes for just under $600. I am still a little concerned about dropping the car with stock tires. What do you think loule? Is there enough clearance without low profiles? Thanks again you guys. You're really helping me out here.
Old 06-30-01, 01:40 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KYBs.

I bought KYBs from carparts 6 months ago for I think $65 each but I don't know how reliable they are.They feel alright and I am not sure how they can be compared to the stock ones.The previous owner also had KYBs on the car.
Old 06-30-01, 03:23 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To keep the speedometer correct with aftermarket wheels you want to keep the over-all diameter as close to stock as possible, so lowering it with stock wheels and tires shouldn't be a problem. Besides, It's only about a 1-1.5 inch drop. In the grand scheme of things that's not much. The LS is a big car with lots of wheel well space. Think if you were going with 20's :eek:

I don't know about the KYB's but I trust Loule's judgement, blkstealthpaid4, not that I'm saying anything bad about you or yours.
Old 07-02-01, 07:12 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

I have my low profile setup to match the original diameter of the OEMs and plus the are wider tires also.
The tires clear the wells with no problem.
KYB's ok but from what I read with GS4 with KYBs the ride is a little rougher then Tokico setup.
I would reccomend you dropping your car if you do switch out the shocks.
They will clear the wells with no problems especially with OEM wheels.

Josh: Thanks. I thought that would bring some humor to my boring signature!