LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trip A and Trip B, Reset buttons not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 12:41 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trip A and Trip B, Reset buttons not working

Hi. I own a 1992 Lexus LS400. I noticed today that my Trip A/B button and Trip Reset button are not working. The Trip meter will count miles but the buttons are not working. You hold the button for over 2 seconds and it doesn't reset like it used to. What is also weird is that every time I turn the key it will switch from Trip A to Trip B. For example, my car will be in Trip B. I drive it. I take the key out. I put the key back in the ignition and turn the key, my car now will be in Trip A mode. I take the key out, then I turn the key again and now the car will be back in Trip B mode. Has anyone else had this problem before? If so, do you know what it was? A response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by ForzaRoma; 12-17-23 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Found answer
Old 12-17-23, 09:10 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by ForzaRoma
Hi. I own a 1992 Lexus LS400. I noticed today that my Trip A/B button and Trip Reset button are not working. The Trip meter will count miles but the buttons are not working. You hold the button for over 2 seconds and it doesn't reset like it used to. What is also weird is that every time I turn the key it will switch from Trip A to Trip B. For example, my car will be in Trip B. I drive it. I take the key out. I put the key back in the ignition and turn the key, my car now will be in Trip A mode. I take the key out, then I turn the key again and now the car will be back in Trip B mode. Has anyone else had this problem before? If so, do you know what it was? A response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This problem is very likely related to your other thread on your light dimming not working:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-at-night.html

It sounds like your mechanic either broke the connection to or did not reconnect your cluster bezel that has the warning lights, dimmer switch, and trip buttons

When you turn the key on, do you see the warning lights appear momentarily on your cluster?

It may be better to continue this in your other thread. At this moment I would suggest removing the bezel and checking the wiring and connections
Old 12-17-23, 02:59 PM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
This problem is very likely related to your other thread on your light dimming not working:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-at-night.html

It sounds like your mechanic either broke the connection to or did not reconnect your cluster bezel that has the warning lights, dimmer switch, and trip buttons

When you turn the key on, do you see the warning lights appear momentarily on your cluster?

It may be better to continue this in your other thread. At this moment I would suggest removing the bezel and checking the wiring and connections

Hi. I ended up taking my car to a different mechanic and he found out the dimmer was disconnected by the other mechanic. So I no longer have a problem with the center console, odometer and stereo display from lighting up. Just now, I noticed these trip reset buttons aren't working. I took part of the cluster bezel off and looked behind the buttons to see if the buttons need to be touching a piece. But there is no plastic piece behind it. So I don't know what to look for or if there is a piece broken from the mechanic taking out the cluster.

Last edited by ForzaRoma; 12-17-23 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-17-23, 03:00 PM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Hi. I ended up taking my car to a different mechanic and he found out the dimmer was disconnected by the other mechanic. So I know longer have a problem with the center console, odometer and stereo display from lighting up. Just now, I noticed these trip reset buttons aren't working. I took part of the cluster bezel off and looked behind the buttons to see if the buttons need to be touching a piece. But there is no plastic piece behind it. So I don't know what to look for or if there is a piece broken from the mechanic taking out the cluster.
Yeah. Those lights come on when I turn the key on
Old 12-17-23, 04:24 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Hi. I ended up taking my car to a different mechanic and he found out the dimmer was disconnected by the other mechanic. So I know longer have a problem with the center console, odometer and stereo display from lighting up. Just now, I noticed these trip reset buttons aren't working. I took part of the cluster bezel off and looked behind the buttons to see if the buttons need to be touching a piece. But there is no plastic piece behind it. So I don't know what to look for or if there is a piece broken from the mechanic taking out the cluster.
Oh that's great news. So it was just the connector

Good to know that your warning lights are working. So we know that connector is getting power.

The only thing left to do now is to test for continuity between the pins for the Twin Trip Switch on the bezel.

Please follow these steps below:

Testing for continuity:
Attached Thumbnails Trip A and Trip B, Reset buttons not working-1990-1992_ls400_twintripswitchdiagnostic.png  
Old 12-17-23, 05:34 PM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Oh that's great news. So it was just the connector

Good to know that your warning lights are working. So we know that connector is getting power.

The only thing left to do now is to test for continuity between the pins for the Twin Trip Switch on the bezel.

Please follow these steps below:

Testing for continuity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9MsyLZF0r4
Thanks Celsior for the information. I appreciate it. I was able to fix it myself. Took the cluster out slightly and just put my fingers behind the buttons. Applying pressure. Re-installed cluster and now the buttons are operating again. Thanks for the feedback. Merry Christmas to you.
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 05:55 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Awesome. Glad to hear it

No parts required fixes are the best. Merry Christmas
The following users liked this post:
ForzaRoma (12-17-23)
Old 12-17-23, 06:45 PM
ForzaRoma