LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Two concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 09:11 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts
Exclamation Two concerns

Hi folks, I would like your opinion on two issues. Thanks for your help!

1) I got a full synthetic oil change at my Lexus dealership in March, and I have driven roughly 6000 miles since. The last few days, I was getting a "Maintenance required soon" reminder upon startup that would go away. Yesterday, while returning from a long trip (250 miles), I got a "Maintenance required" message that doesn't go away, and the "yellow triangle" remains lit. I have a service visit scheduled for this weekend at the dealership (150 miles away). Am I doing any damage by driving the vehicle such a long distance with these warning messages? The car runs fine. I am guessing this reminder has been programmed into the service menu (haven't checked yet), and may not reflect anything wrong with the car.

2) My car has had a mild and pleasant "new car" smell ever since I bought it in Feb 2016. Or so I thought. Within the past month, the smell has increased in intensity to the point of being too strong for comfort. Nowadays, I air out the car in the garage by partially opening the windows, and this helps. I thought the smell was release of vapors from cleaners and such used for interior detailing (I use Meguiars products and 303 protectant), but noticed that the smell gets stronger when using AC with the "Recirc" instead of "Ventilation". Should I be worried about a coolant leak (no drips outside car) or heater core problem? The heating/cooling system works fine.
Old 10-25-16, 09:38 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Regarding the "Maintenance Minder", and you driving beyond the car advising to get your oil changed, it is perfectly fine to keep driving, as no mechanical damage is being done. I know that specifically, Roadfrog and Doublebase drive on extended OCI's, about 7-10K before they perform their oil/filter swap outs. There is a simple way to reset the reminder, I just cant recall it at this moment. I personally take mine to between 6-7k then change out.
From reading about members here who have had their oil tested by Blackstone and the varieties of oil (Moible1, TGMO, Valvaline) and others, its been shown that, though the oils perform in certain capacities given their molly package as well as other variables, the common FS oil can perform well without viscal breakdown for at least 7k miles.
Im thinking too that the reminder specifically states to have the oil changed/serviced with the exclamation mark illuminated on the dash, correct?
I don't believe any damage is being done, unless another message populates on the screen referencing another potential issue.

Now the new car smell?? Not sure there...
What I can tell you is that if you have a coolant leak, it may not be visible right away underneath the car, because of how the covers are situated beneath the vehicle.
If the lower rad hose is leaking or is there is a small leak on the bottom area of the rad and its not a bad one, the cover will catch it, and the fluid will either evaporate or blow off while driving, or could just simply puddle (if it is a small leak).
A quick way to check this without getting on your back is to pop the hood and remove the dust covers, then remove the air dams/inlets and take a look at the coolant level in the reservoir. While you have the inlets off, take a flashlight and take a look at the hoses and around/near the water pump area. If the pump is leaking, there will be a dried-up pink crystalized gunk on top and possibly some dried up pink streams of coolant. On the hoses will be either moist or signs of dried up coolant.
Only thing is though, I believe in order to see the bottom of the rad, if it is in fact leaking, you will have to jack up the front end, remove the covers and take a look. But I really don't think this is your problem.
Old 10-25-16, 09:41 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

#1 Issue - Is not an issue. You're fine. You know how many miles you've got on the oil. Mine is currently ON also. The continuous triangle. I'm driving mine out until I hit 27,500 miles. Which is like another 400 miles for me. I don't put a lot of miles on my car so the light may be on a while. I think it is triggered by when I programmed in the system for the 5,000 miles to be. I'm going to wind up with something like 5,600 miles on this OCI.

#2 Issue - I have nothing constructive for that. Something I'm not familiar with.
Old 10-25-16, 10:42 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

1. As long as 2013+ models have similar way to display oil change interval i.e based on miles, shouldn't be an issue. I am not familiar with 2013+ models, if they do come with intelligent built (such as low oil level, oil burnt, change in viscosity etc) oil change display, I will replace oil as soon as I can.

2. "Within the past month, the smell has increased in intensity to the point of being too strong for comfort." - I am not sure what you meant by this. Are you saying new car smell increased or some other smell increased which is overshadowing new car smell?. BTW, I am not a fan of 303. I know there is a big fan base here. If you get a chance, try Zymol, you won't look back !!!
Old 10-25-16, 10:48 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
1. As long as 2013+ models have similar way to display oil change interval i.e based on miles, shouldn't be an issue. I am not familiar with 2013+ models, if they do come with intelligent built (such as low oil level, oil burnt, change in viscosity etc) oil change display, I will replace oil as soon as I can.

2. "Within the past month, the smell has increased in intensity to the point of being too strong for comfort." - I am not sure what you meant by this. Are you saying new car smell increased or some other smell increased which is overshadowing new car smell?. BTW, I am not a fan of 303. I know there is a big fan base here. If you get a chance, try Zymol, you won't look back !!!
Zymol is good stuff! If you like the smell of pineapples and coconut
Old 10-25-16, 10:55 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Not all Zymols do come with that smell. I am very particular in keeping new car smell and my LS (2012) still has it. The Zymol interior cleaner/conditioner I use are smell neutral.

Originally Posted by superdenso
Zymol is good stuff! If you like the smell of pineapples and coconut
Old 10-25-16, 10:58 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

I think it is a simple reminder setting in the service menu. I doubt very much it is a sensor-driven process. This is separate from the "Check Engine Light" that is diagnosing various engine parameters and flagging problems.

Yes, the new car smell has increased in intensity. Leads me to think it was never a "new car smell" but something else. I will get it checked out this weekend. Thanks, will check out Zymol.
Old 10-25-16, 11:01 AM
Nospinzone

Received 409 Likes on 317 Posts

To reset that oil light yourself, these are the steps for an '07, but I don't know if things have changed for your model year.

Step 1 - Switch the display to the trip A when the engine is running.

Step 2 - Turn the engine switch OFF.

Step 3 - While pressing the trip meter reset button, set the engine switch to the IG-ON mode (but do not start the engine because otherwise the reset mode will be cancelled). Press and hold the button until the multi-information display indicates that the reset is complete.
Old 10-25-16, 11:02 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks, CRowe14 and Jason, I am glad to hear your reassurance about the Maintenance reminder. I will check out the hoses, and update after the service visit.

Thanks, Paul for the method to reset the light. I will try it but wonder whether the light will come back on if I don't change the maintenance settings.

Last edited by comotiger; 10-25-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 11:18 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

maybe a smell reminder?? to change your oil??
Old 10-25-16, 11:23 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lextout
maybe a smell reminder?? to change your oil??
LOL, too bad doesn't smell like oil!
Old 10-25-16, 12:38 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 316 Posts

It should not come on for another 5000 miles. The Lexus tech will reset it again after he changes your oil.

Dennis
Old 10-25-16, 02:33 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My concern is that it hasn't gone away. the oil light in my car disappears after start up, maybe it's been on for too long?
Old 10-25-16, 02:51 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 316 Posts

Dr J

It is a little different on a 2014 but the "how to" is in the O's M. It should go out and stay out for another 5000 miles. Is the light rail done yet or has it snowed?

Dennis
Old 10-25-16, 03:32 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Dr J

It is a little different on a 2014 but the "how to" is in the O's M. It should go out and stay out for another 5000 miles. Is the light rail done yet or has it snowed?

Dennis
No sir, railway to nowhere, it should snow first for sure! Oh it's also still grossly over-budget as well.

Quick Reply: Two concerns