LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 F Sport brakes/rotors change

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 02:45 PM
mistatran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 F Sport brakes/rotors change

Currently travelling out of town, and my gf decided to take the car into the stealership on her own to get brakes replaced. She didn't consult me until after she ok'd the work and left. So the car only has 25k miles. She just emailed me invoice of what the advisor recommended her doing: (Brembo performance brake kit on the car)

1) All 4 pads need to be replaced (which is ok)
2) Front rotors need to be replaced. Said these are performance brakes and these cannot be turned or resurfaced, just replaced
3) Back rotors can be turned/resurfaced

My question to everyone is in regards to #2. Is this correct? And why do the rotors need to be replaced already at 25k? On top of all this is the stealership is charging her $1000 for the work. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 03-09-16, 03:16 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mistatran
Currently travelling out of town, and my gf decided to take the car into the stealership on her own to get brakes replaced. She didn't consult me until after she ok'd the work and left. So the car only has 25k miles. She just emailed me invoice of what the advisor recommended her doing: (Brembo performance brake kit on the car)

1) All 4 pads need to be replaced (which is ok)
2) Front rotors need to be replaced. Said these are performance brakes and these cannot be turned or resurfaced, just replaced
3) Back rotors can be turned/resurfaced

My question to everyone is in regards to #2. Is this correct? And why do the rotors need to be replaced already at 25k? On top of all this is the stealership is charging her $1000 for the work. Please advise. Thanks.
This is correct, same as BMW and Mercedes. That's why there's so much dusting. They'd rather replace pads than rotors and whether or not they need to be replaced at 25k depends on how badly the are warped or grooved.

bustarice has all the info for the brake job you need in his build thread.
Old 03-09-16, 03:18 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, I'm pretty sure drilled rotors cannot be turned, but are they even drilled? I honestly have no clue about the LS' version of "Brembo" brakes. If they are drilled or use special hardened surfaces, then yeah, you cannot turn those, well I'm fairly certain you cannot.

If they are solid surfaced, I honestly don't see why they cannot be resurfaced provided the min thickness isn't exceeded. I know on my previous car, the Acura RL, had front "Brembo" brakes that were solid-surfaced rotors and Niello Acura turned those. However, even if you cannot, unless you're experiencing some vibration, you could just change the pads without doing anything on the rotors, just make sure there are no grooves or other obvious surface anomalies. There's always some risk or premature pad wearing.

In any case, someone with Brembo brakes could provide better advice I'm sure.
Old 03-09-16, 03:27 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Brembos, not drilled.

Old 03-10-16, 08:57 AM
VIPanda460
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with Rhambler that since it's not drilled and an obvious solid surface it should have no reason you cannot turn it. Of course, asking a stealership what did you really expect them to suggest? Of course, they'd maximize profits and get you to replace. However, until someone else chimes in who's actually turned them I cannot myself say for sure if you should go ahead and turn it either without further confirmation.
Old 03-10-16, 10:40 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

1. All repairs should be free under the B2B warranty. They were when the previous owner took my car in, twice.
2. On my car during both of the previous owner's visits, the rotors were turned. I'm still running the original twice-turned Brembo rotors, 58k on the car now. No pulsation.
3. The rear brakes are the same as all other LS, RWD, AWD, and Sport. They can be turned also.
4. If there is no vibration or pulsation when braking, there is no weird wear on the rotors, and the pads haven't worn all the way to the steel backing, the rotors can be left alone (though no dealer would ever do this). I did exactly this on my Brembos when I took off the OE (TSB!) Pagid/Toyota/Brembo pads and replaced them with Power Stops from Rockauto.com. Cost me less than $50, no more dust or squeaking.
Old 03-10-16, 11:12 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

What was her reason for taking the car in?
Old 03-10-16, 12:17 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tec80
1. All repairs should be free under the B2B warranty. They were when the previous owner took my car in, twice.
2. On my car during both of the previous owner's visits, the rotors were turned. I'm still running the original twice-turned Brembo rotors, 58k on the car now. No pulsation.
3. The rear brakes are the same as all other LS, RWD, AWD, and Sport. They can be turned also.
4. If there is no vibration or pulsation when braking, there is no weird wear on the rotors, and the pads haven't worn all the way to the steel backing, the rotors can be left alone (though no dealer would ever do this). I did exactly this on my Brembos when I took off the OE (TSB!) Pagid/Toyota/Brembo pads and replaced them with Power Stops from Rockauto.com. Cost me less than $50, no more dust or squeaking.
That's the first time I ever heard of the brakes being free! I was specifically told by my dealer they were not as they are considered normal wear and tear. Seems very odd they'd also turn them twice too. I wonder if anyone else has had their brakes covered under warranty during routine service?
Old 03-10-16, 05:11 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm sure you can have the rotors turned if they are within tolerance.

I had the Endless big brake 2-piece slotted rotors turned without any issues. Obviously the dealership is making money off you and your girlfriend. Sorry to say, but women are easy target for them thieves to take advantage of.

When I bought the CPO 13 LS 460 a few weeks ago, the rotors were pulsating when braking, and the dealership turned all four rotors and the pulsating was gone after that.
Old 03-10-16, 08:07 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

So am I the only one not getting free brake jobs from the dealer?!?
Old 03-11-16, 04:05 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Brakes are typically considered normal wear items and as such excluded from warranty claims be it the manufacturers or otherwise.

However, if there is a defect, like warped rotors or some other anomaly outside of normal wear, then they indeed might be covered and if they have to fix one under warranty, I would imagine they might be forced to do the other, even if it isn't bad as brakes should be done pairs.