LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Removing front bumper cover on 07 LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 08:49 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Removing front bumper cover on 07 LS 460

I have searched the forum and not many results populated.
Soon, I will be planning to remove the front bumper cover to begin my attempt to remedy my OEM HID ballast issue, and in order to gain access to the ballast, the front bumper cover must be removed.
As I stated in another thread, I know its not too difficult of a process, but I'd like to have as many specifics as possible before attempting to do this.
Lastly, could someone specify if one person can do this, or are two people needed.
Thanks everyone.
Old 01-25-16, 10:52 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should only need one person, remove the bottom screws then ones in wheel well and lastly ones above grille.
Old 01-26-16, 08:09 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by derpie
You should only need one person, remove the bottom screws then ones in wheel well and lastly ones above grille.
I appreciate this bit of information, however there seems to be a bit more to it that simply unscrewing screws.
I am actually seeking as much detailed feedback as possible.
Upon watching a few videos yesterday, though they weren't on the removal of an LS bumper cover, it was for a 2014 Camry.
The gentleman mentioned to unplug the Negative battery terminal as not to accidentally/possible set off an air bag trigger and to also unplug the sensors on the bumper if you have them.
Im assuming that once you undo the screws on the bottom of the cover, you can reach up and unplug each sensor, or what?
Is there anything else additional that would need to be unplugged before removing the bumper completely away from the car?
Im searching for as much detail as possible, thanks.
Old 01-26-16, 12:28 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I appreciate this bit of information, however there seems to be a bit more to it that simply unscrewing screws.
I am actually seeking as much detailed feedback as possible.
Upon watching a few videos yesterday, though they weren't on the removal of an LS bumper cover, it was for a 2014 Camry.
The gentleman mentioned to unplug the Negative battery terminal as not to accidentally/possible set off an air bag trigger and to also unplug the sensors on the bumper if you have them.
Im assuming that once you undo the screws on the bottom of the cover, you can reach up and unplug each sensor, or what?
Is there anything else additional that would need to be unplugged before removing the bumper completely away from the car?
Im searching for as much detail as possible, thanks.
Sensors indeed need to be popped off and fog lights unplugged. The front plastic cover inside the engine compartment also needs to come off (and maybe a couple clips holding the grille at the top, though I may be thinking of a different Lexus). Screws at the bottom and also in wheel well (they're 90-degree-turn fasteners).

Personally, to play it safe, I would just sign-up for a 2-day subscription to techinfo.toyota.com and get step-by-step instructions right from the horse's mouth. While you're at it, you can look at any other areas of interest, TSIBs, etc. It is $15 and a great resource.
Old 01-26-16, 12:32 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
Sensors indeed need to be popped off and fog lights unplugged. The front plastic cover inside the engine compartment also needs to come off (and maybe a couple clips holding the grille at the top, though I may be thinking of a different Lexus). Screws at the bottom and also in wheel well (they're 90-degree-turn fasteners).

Personally, to play it safe, I would just sign-up for a 2-day subscription to techinfo.toyota.com and get step-by-step instructions right from the horse's mouth. While you're at it, you can look at any other areas of interest, TSIBs, etc. It is $15 and a great resource.
This is EXACTLY the type of information I was in search of.
Thank you kindly and once again good Sir!
Old 01-26-16, 09:44 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too was a little apprehensive when removing the front bumper. Like you, I was looking for more details in a step by step. It has been several months since I remove the front bumper, but this is what I remember.

Remove the front grille. This may not be necessary, but I did. It really isn’t hard, just remove the four plastic clips on top and then carefully use a small screwdriver to manipulate the side clips holding the sides of the grille in place. Patience is the key.

I removed the front tires allowing easier access to wheel well liners. I unscrewed and pulled back both driver and passenger side wheel well liners. (I think there is just one screw in the inside fender well, along with two clips you have to turn with a screw driver. I think there is also a splash guard at the very bottom held on with two screws). The fog light plugs are now clearly visible on each left and right sides. The sensors on the front bumper were all tied together to one plug located the driver side near the drivers side fog light plug. After removing the screws on the bottom of the bumper, I placed two cardboard boxes under the bumper to support it’s weight. It is not heavy, I just didn’t want any surprises. Now pull gently in an outward motion toward you at the left side corner of the bumper where it meets the fender well. For me, the clips where the front bumper is affixed to were holding the bumper on very tight. But a gentle and firm steady pull will dislodge the bumper. The other part that was tight was the bumper portion that meets the engine hood located between the grille and headlights. This too has a clip at the very top where the bumper is attached. Again, pull gently in an outward motion toward you and it will pop out. Now work on the other side and it should be off. Just reverse the order to install. I hope this helps you.
The following 3 users liked this post by retlex:
BT3100 (12-11-21), diamente (07-13-22), NotFasty (04-07-21)
Old 10-29-21, 08:20 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Bumping an old thread...

I created a 2 day account with Toyota Techinfo and removing the front bumper cover is super easy (and I can share the docs with anyone who would like them) - it's several screws and some tabs around the headlights.

But... I can't find a junkyard bumper cover anywhere nearby. I checked on car-parts.com and nothing local is OEM. This aftermarket company IS close to me, but a painted bumper is $437 - that's cheaper than a Lexus bumper but I think that is a lot of money:

https://chicagoautobodyparts.com/lex...2010-2012.html

Anyone have a good source for a replacement cover?
The following users liked this post:
kraven9 (11-03-21)
Old 10-29-21, 06:33 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

If it is of any quality at all, $437 for a painted bumper cover sounds like a deal. The previous owner of my 600 paid $1200 to have its front bumper cover replaced by a Lexus store.
Old 10-29-21, 07:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,243 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
If it is of any quality at all, $437 for a painted bumper cover sounds like a deal. The previous owner of my 600 paid $1200 to have its front bumper cover replaced by a Lexus store.
100% agree with this, if they even somewhat did a good job that's fantastic. I had to pay $2300 for a new bumper and repaint on another car
Old 10-31-21, 07:31 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Just to make it clear - this is not OEM. I order the bumper, they paint it, I pick it up. I'm concerned 1) about the fit and quality and 2) whether or not the paint will match - my car is black so I assume it doesn't need blending but I don't really know.
Old 11-01-21, 11:18 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

For the price I assumed that it was not OEM and would not be at all concerned about a poor color match with straight black.

Check to see if there are any on-line reviews of bumper covers made by the manufacturer.
Old 11-20-23, 01:27 PM
calves
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but thanks to a deer carcass on the highway I'm now considering a pre-painted bumper cover. Paintedautoparts.com says they can paint one Obsidian for $467. One reddit post said they had a great experience (worst headache being the fitment needing to stretch out in the heat).

Other than the smell of venison cooking underneath that I need to hose off, she rides like nothing happened. I'm fortunate I didn't decide to try split-second swerving because going 80MPH this is definitely a more ideal outcome. These cars are tanks.