LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Coils Compared to the Tanabes

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 02:32 PM
Nash
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coils Compared to the Tanabes

For those of you who have had the tanabe springs and now have coilovers? How does the ride compare? Also what is the best kind of coilovers to get to get for the buck? Thanks
Old 06-08-13, 02:54 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the tanabes and I now have the extreme drop bc coilovers, and man is it a difference in ride quality lol. Even at the softest setting it's still pretty stiff and kinda bouncy, but then again I ride pretty low and I'm not sure if the 2" shorter shock bodies have anything to do with it. I have the 12k/10k spring rates, too. Although it is pretty stiff,( i have it set to 15 clicks in the front and 7 rear) i love the driving character characteristics of the car and tend to push this big car to the limits every once in awhile,hahaha! Also, i'm a pretty young guy so I can tolerate the ride if anything, but if I were to do it again I would drop the cash for air ride right off the bat.

One thing to really consider is how low do you want to go. if you just want a mild drop then tanabes are great without sacrificing the the stock ride quality. If you want to be able to adjust dampening and ride height, and don't mind a lil harsher ride coilovers are the way to go. If you want to be able to go really low and change height on the fly, and still retain a comfortable ride quality, aftermarket air is the way to go. That said, I don't have any experience with aftermarket air ride, but I'm very interested in it for the future.

All depends on what you want!
Old 06-09-13, 12:28 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was under the impression that the guys who have had both feel like the coils give a better ride. I guess not.
Old 06-09-13, 11:55 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Someone I know had coils and hated the ride. Too stiff. I have tanabes right now...ride is good. Waiting on my airrunner to come in and I know that will ride better.
Old 06-10-13, 04:02 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

im on tanabes now.. (tire wear is killing me on the coils. as soon as i solve the camber issue im goin back down ) but to me the tanabes are too soft and mushy (just like factory) i love the coils.. but as adam said since i was soooo low i had to set them firmer than i'd prefer but it was an easy adjustment..
Old 06-10-13, 07:12 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
im on tanabes now.. (tire wear is killing me on the coils. as soon as i solve the camber issue im goin back down ) but to me the tanabes are too soft and mushy (just like factory) i love the coils.. but as adam said since i was soooo low i had to set them firmer than i'd prefer but it was an easy adjustment..
Were you on BC or Megan? How low were you on the coils?
I just picked up an almost new set of extreme drop BC's w/ 14kg/10kg springs and am hoping these won't end up being too stiff. It'll depend on how low you end up setting things
Old 06-10-13, 09:08 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on Megans. I had to keep my front on max stiff because of how low they dropped on max height. Already buckled my fenders.
Old 06-12-13, 02:45 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Putt
I just picked up an almost new set of extreme drop BC's w/ 14kg/10kg springs and am hoping these won't end up being too stiff. It'll depend on how low you end up setting things
i'm on JIC Magic VIP coilovers 2.8'' drop in the front..2.5'' drop in the rear they are 17way adjustable.. but i keep em firm
Old 06-12-13, 03:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Those are some stiff rates. My Tein CST on my GS 350 were at 7KG all the way around. I cant imagine what a spring rate like that feels like on top of the shorter shock body.
Old 06-13-13, 03:28 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Those are some stiff rates. My Tein CST on my GS 350 were at 7KG all the way around. I cant imagine what a spring rate like that feels like on top of the shorter shock body.
I'm swapping them out for Swift 12/8 springs. I haven't installed the coilover yet, which I picked up used, but changing to the setup I really wanted w/ Swifts
Note the BC extreme drop series have shorter shock bodies but per BC the shock stroke or travel is the same as the normal series. That's what I was told
Old 06-13-13, 10:40 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

I just installed my set of extreme drop BC's w 14k front and 10k rear. It is true what adamls2 has explained as far as the characteristics of the coilovers.

I'm swapping them out for Swift 12/8 springs. I haven't installed the coilover yet, which I picked up used, but changing to the setup I really wanted w/ Swifts
Note the BC extreme drop series have shorter shock bodies but per BC the shock stroke or travel is the same as the normal series. That's what I was told
Yes the travel is the same as the off the shelf bc's. Only down fall I notice was the max height on the extreme drop isn't much.
Old 06-14-13, 01:27 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Originally Posted by bluwagun
I just installed my set of extreme drop BC's w 14k front and 10k rear. It is true what adamls2 has explained as far as the characteristics of the coilovers.

Yes the travel is the same as the off the shelf bc's. Only down fall I notice was the max height on the extreme drop isn't much.
Meaning that you can't raise it up that much?
Old 06-14-13, 02:48 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Meaning that you can't raise it up that much?
Yup, from the middle arch of my fenders to the ground is a little under 26 inches at all four corners. I am on the factory 18's and tucking an inch of tire. I can raise it maybe 1/2 inch till I am max'd out. But I enjoy riding low, no complaints from me
Old 06-15-13, 11:42 PM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have JIC's and they are great, but going with a new air set up so they are for sale. Sorry to thread jack..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-vouched.html