LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need Help with USB Port

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 12:22 PM
ptgay49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with USB Port

Car: 2012 LS 460L AWD.

Problem: USB port will not recognize USB flash drive.

Troubleshooting: I downloaded the USB port specs from the Lexus website; purchased a brand new 16-gig USB 2.0 thumb drive; formatted it to FAT 32 and placed a few MP3 files on the drive. The screen reports that the USB is not recognized.

Additional information: nothing is plugged into the AUX port; the USB port itself does work because I have had an iPod plugged into the port using the iPod's USB connecting cable and it works with the iPod device.

Any thoughts on how to get the car to recognize a USB thumb drive?
Old 12-05-11, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to clublexus. i have never played with the usb port before with usb stick. just curious have you tried another usb stick, say smaller at 1gb?
Old 12-05-11, 08:26 PM
ptgay49
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
welcome to clublexus. i have never played with the usb port before with usb stick. just curious have you tried another usb stick, say smaller at 1gb?
Thank you for your welcome and thanks for the quick response.

I will give your suggestion a try and report back what happens and also if my Lexus dealer has any advice.
Old 12-06-11, 08:12 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptgay49
Car: 2012 LS 460L AWD.

Problem: USB port will not recognize USB flash drive.

Troubleshooting: I downloaded the USB port specs from the Lexus website; purchased a brand new 16-gig USB 2.0 thumb drive; formatted it to FAT 32 and placed a few MP3 files on the drive. The screen reports that the USB is not recognized.

Sorry to side track the thread but what was the URL to get to the "I downloaded the USB port specs from the Lexus website"

I'm having a similar problem with a Kenwood in-dash, aftermarket unit with Nav, etc., I installed in my Taco.

I loaded up 418 50's songs on a 4 gig drive and had problems. I finally discovered that you can only have a max of 255 files per folder on a USB. Each additional folder will accept another 255, etc. I created more folders, but still having problems.

I have an '08 LS and I went to my Lexus Owners website and thought this might be a similar situation,
but couldn't find anything on what 'formatting' they wanted.

Thanks

Whit
Old 12-06-11, 01:13 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a USB flash drive but wondered if I could use an SD card (like the one in my camera) with an adaptor I have to use a USB port on my PC to download pictures. I loaded the card up with MP3s and tried with no luck. My IPOD Touch however works just fine. I wonder if only portable USB players will work - such as an iPod? The Nav manual does refer to both USB memory and iPod players. Could there be a formating issue for the memory card?

I would have loved to use the CD card since the ones I have holds a whole lot more than a CD. My dealer was no held on this bye the way. I would be very interested in anyone's experience.
Old 12-06-11, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

did you guys put songs under a folder according to genre or other categories?

searching other forums like the RX and GX, people are able to play
Old 12-06-11, 02:47 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I have the '10 RX350 and USB works fine for me (4GB). Songs can be divided into folders OR just one folder for all the songs.

Can you try to play the songs in your USB from you computer?

Good luck.
Old 12-06-11, 02:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I have the '10 RX350 and USB works fine for me (4GB). Songs can be divided into folders OR just one folder for all the songs.

Good luck.
yeah that's what i wanted to make sure, there is a folder (at least) for songs, and not just everything in the "root" of the drive?
Old 12-07-11, 02:59 PM
ptgay49
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Sorry to side track the thread but what was the URL to get to the "I downloaded the USB port specs from the Lexus website"

I'm having a similar problem with a Kenwood in-dash, aftermarket unit with Nav, etc., I installed in my Taco.

I loaded up 418 50's songs on a 4 gig drive and had problems. I finally discovered that you can only have a max of 255 files per folder on a USB. Each additional folder will accept another 255, etc. I created more folders, but still having problems.

I have an '08 LS and I went to my Lexus Owners website and thought this might be a similar situation,
but couldn't find anything on what 'formatting' they wanted.

Thanks

Whit
Here is a pdf of the pages I downloaded from the Lexus website Owners Manual. I hope this helps you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Audio_USB port.pdf (430.8 KB, 1921 views)
Old 12-07-11, 03:01 PM
ptgay49
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

Good luck.
^^

Great trouble-shooting advice that I had not thought of. However, I just now did that and they play just fine on my PC.
Old 12-09-11, 05:33 AM
ptgay49
Driver School Candidate

Well, my research has led me to think that I may not be able to use a 16-gig drive. The biggest size I have read about on the web that works in our vehicles is 8-gig.

I will know more when I have my 1,000 service performed. My dealer is looking into this and will try to get this working when he has my car in his shop. That will probably be sometime next month.

Thanks for all the suggestions from readers! I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-09-11, 07:54 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

You may need to reformat the thumbdrive. I downloaded a free program to create a new type of partition on the thumb drive and my alpine recognized the directory and device. I want to say it was a small app from the Panasonic webpage but will have to do more digging
Old 12-09-11, 08:17 AM
ptgay49
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
You may need to reformat the thumbdrive. I downloaded a free program to create a new type of partition on the thumb drive and my alpine recognized the directory and device. I want to say it was a small app from the Panasonic webpage but will have to do more digging
^^

Thank you for your response. I will check back to see if you have been able to find that program. Currenly I have the drive formatted as FAT32.
Old 12-09-11, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

that would suck if they can't take anything more than 8gb...
Old 12-09-11, 05:38 PM
ptgay49
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
that would suck if they can't take anything more than 8gb...
^^

Yes, it would . . .

Quick Reply: Need Help with USB Port