LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs. Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 06:27 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
... I'd give the Hyundai Genesis some serious thought.....Dollar for dollar I think it's the best sorta luxo-ride out there.
please do not buy a Hyundai Genesis!!! talk about downgrade???

Originally Posted by dmvp29
...... I took a $1.5M+ hit from the market .....
^^^^^things you just dont read on the 3GS forums^^^^

you LS'ers are ballers!! $$$$$$

back to the thread....i was in the market for an Avalon Limited before i bought my GS and i loved that car. besides the obvious front wheel drive issue, its extremely comparable to my car as far as interior room, options, etc....

but the Avalon is not comparable to the LS.
Old 12-23-08, 06:38 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I think if I was looking for a car in the $30's I'd give the Hyundai Genesis some serious thought.
I was looking at them for a friend and was impressed...really.
Dollar for dollar I think it's the best sorta luxo-ride out there.

I know...heresy.

Whit
The Genesis is the car I would buy. That thing is sweet and comes with all the toys.
Old 12-23-08, 09:00 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm not quite sure where an earlier poster got his "rules of thumb" for leasing, but I disagree.
When dmvp29 said "The rule of thumb with leasing is usually that if you opt to lease a car, you should be able to afford to buy it outright.", I think he is referring to the conservative financial concept that a lease should not be used as a crutch to be able to have something one can not afford. Following this concept ensures that a person will not become financially overextended. This is not a concept that has been popular in our overheated economy.
Old 12-23-08, 09:07 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbq
I was planning to wait until January to try and find a deal. Do you think it's better timing to get it done this month?

I see your location is TX. May drive to Ft. Worth during the holiday to see family. Know a dealer in the area that wants to move some metal? I can easily drive new one home!

I have extended my lease so can end any time now.
From what i have been told, thanksgiving to new years is the best time to buy.
Old 12-24-08, 10:08 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Depends on what you are looking to buy -- if its an LS and you can get an 08 now is the time to buy - no question.
Originally Posted by bbq
I was planning to wait until January to try and find a deal. Do you think it's better timing to get it done this month?

I see your location is TX. May drive to Ft. Worth during the holiday to see family. Know a dealer in the area that wants to move some metal? I can easily drive new one home!

Old 12-24-08, 11:58 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bbq

Sorry for the late reply.

December is traditionally the time of the year Lexus makes the best deals ... it is end of month, end of quarter and end of year. Their December to Remember is their biggest promotion of the year.

I leased my '08 LS460 last December, and even though the '08's had been out only a month or two, I got almost $7,500 off list, as well as great trade-in.

I use Park Place Lexus in Grapevine, which is between Dallas and Ft. Worth, but Sewell Lexus in Ft. Worth is a good dealer as well. My next door neighbor buys his there.

Especially given the drop in Toyota/Lexus sales, the dealers should be willing to work with you, and many experts as saying this is the best time in years to get a new car!

Old 12-25-08, 03:01 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Besides size/dimensions similarity and same "heritage" of being by Toyota, the LS and Avalon are miles apart in terms of comparable trim and level of "luxury" even though the Avalon is not a luxury vehicle. Sit in an LS, sit in an Avalon, and you know it's just different. Drive and you'll know it's even more different.

Also, last I have read, Toyota is axing the Avalon. The 2009 might be the last year of the Avalon. There is not going to be a replacement for it. The sales just didn't justify it's existence, plus with fuel prices being so high (prior to these last two months) it just was not appealing.

$30K is not loose change (atleast for most), it's a big chunk of cash and if it matters to your budget, then you have to consider possibly "downgrading" to an Avalon. If you're comparing new to new, then perhaps you should consider possibly considering used with used and see which is the better bargain in the CPO/Used market.

LS460L AWD = Perfection Met by Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
CzarOBUBA (03-27-23)
Old 12-26-08, 08:42 AM
feather3
Driver School Candidate

interesting topic..my brother has 04 ls430 father 06 avalon..spend considerable time in each car..avalon is not a lexus..materials inside..ride quality etc..size though is a toss up in fact i feel avalon rear is bigger..is it worth 30k well u need to decide that but a used ls would be a better fit if u value the extra comfort ride etc..reliablity is the same..my father is now interested in a new car and wants to try something different from Avalon..tells u something. he has in past owned merceders e class..he feels car is too light feel ie doors etc...i spent time with him looking at similiar priced(Avalon)..my thought..lexus es350..too small all around(hard to get in back seat compared to Avalon etc..felt bit downclass..ride was just okay. Genesis..yes Genesis..all the bells and whistles seat nav keyless etc..plus interior was large..i like the look as well..a lot of car for 36k...was not blown away by test drive but very good value if reliablity turns out to be good...read about suspension concerns and other quirks...i think one needs to wait a few years on it even though the package is good..and realibility yes although consumer has two of their other cars in top of class..i agree with their decision to not have a separate division on the basis of the declining world economy and the costs to do so but in reality this is really what i think is hurting sales..mercedes/lexus/bmw owers in a Hyundai dealer is a tough one..younger ones that own 3 series c class yes but not ones who drive e class, s class, 740, ls etc..and those are the higher margin cars..my pick in t his price range at this time if u want a new car would be Infinity M 350..ride is good..space is good..feels upscale..racked very well near top in reliability etc and huge deals right now that m350 can be had below 40k well equipped..has a lot of everything plus(large rear, technology(back up camera tops), awd, reliability..check it out..good luck
Old 12-27-08, 02:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bbq
This is my first post but I've been lurking for more than 4 years now.

I currently have a 2004 LS430 which is about to come off lease. My plan is to buy/lease a LS460 SWB, either 2008 or 2009.

Prior to the LS, we drove an Avalon which I felt was darn close to the LS. My wife, seeing the hit our net worth has taken, thinks we should go back to the Avalon. More for the Grandchildren I surmize!

My wife asks...Is the LS really worth $30,000 more?

Don't really want to look at the ES or GS; it's either the LS or Avalon.

By the way, I did search and saw some comments about the Avalon, but not in this context.

I can't see going backwards, but I'd be interested to hear any comments.

Thanks
I can sum this up quickly. The Avalon is nice but ASPIRES to be the LS.

The Avalon is a very logical decision when compared to the LS, the LS is logical when compared to its competition. The Avalon is based off the Camry and made exclusively for the American market. The LS is a world vehicle and the LS 460/600 is simply the grandest car to ever come from Japan.

Looking at sales figures, it seems people do indeed feel the LS is worth the price. It is the best selling vehicle in class and arguably the best. The Avalon has seen sales continue to shrink, which can lead one to say "it might NOT be the best value/car in its class".

Good luck on your decision.