LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire Pressure Annoying

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 07:29 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Daryll,

Thanks for helping keep me humble.

Here a couple of links to look at. I am not absolutely certain about this stuff, but I just don't know of any technology currently being used that assures the display synchronization automatically after the tires are repositioned.

http://www.etools.org/files/public/T...te_from_GM.pdf

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...roubles-56086/

The point that I am trying to make to those who prefer the absolute display is that they have the potential of causing serious consequences for those who don't understand their limitations.

Let's take an example of what can occur for those who are short sighted in their use of the absolute display. Let's say that the display shows that the Left Front tire is dangerously low. But, because the display was not resynchronized, or it was resynchronized improperly the last time the tires were rotated, the low tire is really on the Right Rear. The driver gets out and goes to the Left Front tire, looks at it and sees that it does not appear low, gets his air gauge out of the glove compartment and checks and it is indeed proper inflated, and concludes erroneously that there is no problem other than a bad tire pressure sensor. He then proceeds at normal highway speed until the low tire fails catastrophically. This may result in a rollover accident or being stranded at a dangerous location.

Lexus might be very wise not to project the illusion of tire location certainty without the absolute certainty. And they are displaying the spare tire pressure which just adds more uncertainty if the positions are displayed in an absolute format.

As far as I know, with the current technology, you can not tell if the display is properly synchronized on any car from any manufacturer without doing a mapping exercise as you suggested. I think most tire shops and dealers understand the potential for liability and are using due care to insure that displays are set properly. Just beware!
Old 11-28-08, 07:38 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

OK! I stand corrected!

Perhaps the answer is to have a number embedded on the wheel that corresponds to the transmitter inside the tire etc. So you can see that number 2 is low, then get out and find wheel with the "2". Of course that would require making 4 different wheel molds. So may another answer would be the valve stem. Perhaps color code them so that "green" has 33 pounds but "yellow" has only 31 pounds.

There has be better technology in the future than the manual mapping that I do now! We can make the car anticipate an accident...surely there's a way to safely and accurately display pressures in all 5 tires in their actual positions. Lexus, just do it!