LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A tale of 2 LS460's

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 08:58 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default A tale of 2 LS460's

Talking a friend of mine into considering a LS (he currently is in a 5 series BMW). He is considering 2 pre-owned ones and curious to get your take:

2013 LS460 AWD with Ultra Luxury package (including air suspension), ML, always Lexus serviced and nothing scary on the service history
2013 LS460F with air, ML, always Lexus serviced. Had new brake pads + rotors (I think replaced 2x within a 30k mile period), as well as lower control arms replaced

My initial thoughts & concerns:
- Should the frequent brake/rotor replacement and premature control arm failure on the LS460F be a concern or is that normal given the Brembo LSF package? Or blame that on an aggressive driver?
- I've driven both, the LSF looks more aggressive but they both ride comfortably, and the LSF corners slightly better but not a noticeable ride/comfort difference even with the LSF's 19" tires
- Both have air suspension....I can tell him to continue looking for a non-air LS?

Assuming both are same price, with same mileage range, which would you consider? My gut is going to recommend the UL package one.

Last edited by Wandl; 03-15-17 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-15-17, 09:37 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Talking a friend of mine into considering a LS (he currently is in a 5 series BMW). He is considering 2 pre-owned ones and curious to get your take:

2013 LS460 AWD with Ultra Luxury package (including air suspension), ML, always Lexus serviced and nothing scary on the service history
2013 LS460F with air, ML, always Lexus serviced. Had new brake pads + rotors (I think replaced 2x within a 30k mile period), as well as lower control arms replaced

My initial thoughts & concerns:
- Should the frequent brake/rotor replacement and premature control arm failure on the LS460F be a concern or is that normal given the Brembo LSF package? Or blame that on an aggressive driver?
- I've driven both, the LSF looks more aggressive but they both ride comfortably, and the LSF corners slightly better but not a noticeable ride/comfort difference even with the LSF's 19" tires
- Both have air suspension....I can tell him to continue looking for a non-air LS?

Assuming both are same price, with same mileage range, which would you consider? My gut is going to recommend the UL package one.
Is the car just for him or his family too? I would also take the UL, but considering he would swap a 5 series for the LS, he might prefer the sportiness of the LSF. I don't remember, but does the F-sport come in AWD? If this LSF is a RWD, he should also factor in the other LS's AWD depending upon where he lives. Overall, to paraphrase another CLer, both these cars are like diamonds. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 03-15-17, 09:46 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

These cars will be different things to different people. Your friend needs to drive them both and decide which suits him best.
Old 03-15-17, 10:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

First of all, I would say that the repeated brake work on the F is likely in relation to the issues with the Brembo brakes. Lexus is still trying to sort the issues with the Brembo system. Those issues relate to noise complaints such as squeaking, etc. The dealer was likely trying to sort these complaints out with the previous owner and was throwing parts at it to correct the problem. Comotiger's comments about the F Sport being a better fit for a BMW owner is valid. He will obviously need to look at that and compare. Personally, I'm not a fan of AWD, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I drive my car with dedicated snow tires on all 4 corners and have never had any traction issues in any kind of snow fall or ice conditions. For me, it'd be the RWD version, which also gives a bit more power (about 30hp) and slightly less weight - good for a half second off the 0-60 time.
Old 03-15-17, 10:10 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
These cars will be different things to different people. Your friend needs to drive them both and decide which suits him best.
This. I test drove my first F Sport this past Sunday and so glad I did. For me, I found the F Sport too stiff at all suspension settings. Surprised me how noticeable the half-inch drop and higher spring rates affected the ride. Definitely ruled out the F Sport for me, but I can understand how it may fit someone else that prioritizes handling over ride comfort.
Old 03-15-17, 10:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
This. I test drove my first F Sport this past Sunday and so glad I did. For me, I found the F Sport too stiff at all suspension settings. Surprised me how noticeable the half-inch drop and higher spring rates affected the ride. Definitely ruled out the F Sport for me, but I can understand how it may fit someone else that prioritizes handling over ride comfort.
The OP's friend is coming from a 5 series BMW, so he may sway towards the F Sport. When I got out of my BMW and into my LS, the handling and performance dynamics were definitely different between the two cars. It did not sway me, but it may make a difference to others.
Old 03-15-17, 12:29 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2011 Sport package LS had the same history with the brakes. I can vouch, they are dusty and noisy.
Old 03-15-17, 01:59 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

I agree that coming from a 5 series BMW, the Sport may be more to his liking. However, as Keith said, he needs to drive both and decide for himself. Maybe he's tired of a harder ride and wants something more cushy.
Old 03-20-17, 05:46 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi all - sorry for the late reply. Friend decided on the LS-F - while it was "nowhere as sporty as his 5-series", it looked the part and was a little edgier than the LS460...plus he had zero need for AWD and didn't want any of the issues that may arise from it.

Currently have the PPI for the LS-F scheduled for tomorrow and hopefully gets to drive it home Wednesday. Thanks a lot for your input CL!