LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Soon to be owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 01:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
but seriously, how many known issues did the 1989 ls's-2006 ls's have? compared to the 2007-up ls's.

Im not bashing by all means, im just stating facts, btw all i drive is toyota and lexus.
But your not stating "facts". You're regurgitating statements that have been made by others in the past, yet when we ask for definitive information, it never materializes. You ask now "how many known issues did the 1st-3rd generation LS's have?" Well, a quick check of these forums, show a rather large thread concerning upper control arms, another about the horrendous starter replacement that requires dismantling the top end of the motor, ( I think I've only seen two starters replaced by members with our gen LS and is a much simpler affair to replace). Timing belts (which our gen doesn't have), intermittent starting problems, rack and pinion leaks (ours are electric). That's just page 1. I didn't go any further. So is this a big deal? No, not like the BMW (Bimmerfest) forums, and it wouldn't stop me from confidently buying a 1st gen LS for my kid or whatever. BUT, it's not much different here on the 3rd gen forum either. I think the only issue our gen has that the 1st gen doesn't, is the brake actuator. That however, is now covered by warranty extension and many of us (myself included with 135k miles), have not had any issue with it (knock on wood). But even if it does fail, no biggie...I'll know I'm covered no charge.

Anyways....to me it's like comparing two diamonds (or three). They're all diamonds at the end of the day. They all shine differently depending on how the light hits them.
Old 03-11-17, 02:25 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
But your not stating "facts". You're regurgitating statements that have been made by others in the past, yet when we ask for definitive information, it never materializes. You ask now "how many known issues did the 1st-3rd generation LS's have?" Well, a quick check of these forums, show a rather large thread concerning upper control arms, another about the horrendous starter replacement that requires dismantling the top end of the motor, ( I think I've only seen two starters replaced by members with our gen LS and is a much simpler affair to replace). Timing belts (which our gen doesn't have), intermittent starting problems, rack and pinion leaks (ours are electric). That's just page 1. I didn't go any further. So is this a big deal? No, not like the BMW (Bimmerfest) forums, and it wouldn't stop me from confidently buying a 1st gen LS for my kid or whatever. BUT, it's not much different here on the 3rd gen forum either. I think the only issue our gen has that the 1st gen doesn't, is the brake actuator. That however, is now covered by warranty extension and many of us (myself included with 135k miles), have not had any issue with it (knock on wood). But even if it does fail, no biggie...I'll know I'm covered no charge.

Anyways....to me it's like comparing two diamonds (or three). They're all diamonds at the end of the day. They all shine differently depending on how the light hits them.
good point, to each his own i guess.
Old 03-11-17, 02:30 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Every owned a MB, BMW or Jaguar?
i owned a 94 s500 and put 65k miles on it, only changed brake pads once and a alternator THATS IT, would've kept it longer but car got totaled, also had a couple of E36 m3's and those were problem free. As i mentioned earlier cars post 2008 market crash had alot of gremlins and quality control issues.
Old 03-11-17, 04:50 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

but seriously, how many known issues did the 1989 ls's-2006 ls's have? compared to the 2007-up ls's.

Im not bashing by all means, im just stating facts, btw all i drive is toyota and lexus.
Absolutely bulletproof engine, drivetrain and suspension. However lots of smaller stuff (mirrors, door locks, ML amp). I like the 460 (may own one at some point). The key is to overlook the problems of the early production years. It's great to hear that some 07/08 owners in here have had success w/ their cars. I drove a '10 and it was a sweet car. Different but still very nice ride.
Old 03-11-17, 05:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

i owned a 94 s500 and put 65k miles on it, only changed brake pads once and a alternator THATS IT, would've kept it longer but car got totaled, also had a couple of E36 m3's and those were problem free. As i mentioned earlier cars post 2008 market crash had alot of gremlins and quality control issues.
I can only speak to BMW's that I've owned. My 7 series was a 2003 and my wifes X5 was a 2002. HORRENDOUS problems. Go to Bimmerfest and have a look at the 7 series forums. Any 7 series from 2001 - 2010 have ridiculous issues. Engine replaced, transmissions replaced, electrical gremlins, coolant leaks, etc. It's a nightmare. VW's and Jags are equally bad.
Old 03-16-17, 12:57 PM
dthouston
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used '90 LS (first model year) which had about 10K on it. Drove it for 23 years and put 310K miles on it, mostly in Houston traffic. Then sold it to a high-school kid who has been driving it for the past few years.

Then I bought a '99 LS with about 25K on it. I drove it (also in Houston) until 270K miles. And then sold it to the repair shop who had maintained it for so many years.

Last month, I bought a 2012 LS 460 L AWD with about 56K miles on it. It's nicer - and long-term, more reliable - than ANY car you can get for $32K.

They aren't perfect. Things do break (expect to get only about 150K miles from the transmission if you're in stop-and-go traffic). But repairs are reasonable - especially for a luxury car - and lots of repair shops can work on them.

And if you keep them long enough, it will be as if they are paying YOU to keep driving them. Even a transmission rebuild will cost no more than a couple of months of car payments!

DadCat
Old 03-16-17, 02:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by dthouston
Even a transmission rebuild will cost no more than a couple of months of car payments!

DadCat
Interesting you say that because that is how I feel. Sometimes the repair on a car can feel expensive, and may indeed be expensive, but when you consider the costs of acquiring another car (sales tax, higher excise tax, higher insurance, and of course the payments), the repair really isn't so expensive.
Old 03-17-17, 12:07 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dthouston
Even a transmission rebuild will cost no more than a couple of months of car payments!

DadCat
How much is that? My monthlies vary for my cars.
Old 03-17-17, 02:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ragingf80
How much is that? My monthlies vary for my cars.
You can buy a completely rebuilt LS transmission from a supplier with warranty for about 3k dollars. You could also opt for a low mileage transmission used for about 800. That said, I have not heard of ONE transmission failing on our cars.
Old 03-20-17, 12:52 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Man these are terrible cars! I had to put air in my tires!!!!
Old 03-20-17, 12:59 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How many LS460's have you owned? How many LS's other models?
Old 03-20-17, 01:03 PM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can buy a completely rebuilt LS transmission from a supplier with warranty for about 3k dollars. You could also opt for a low mileage transmission used for about 800. That said, I have not heard of ONE transmission failing on our cars.
Hell on top of that Toyota/Lexus had slashed the prices on their reman transmissions by a good portion. They averaged about 600-800 price decrease.
Old 03-20-17, 05:48 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

There are multiple threads on the "lifetime transmission fluid" discussion and, I for one, would 100% advocate a flush around 100k miles on the transmission. That said, I have not heard of a single instance of a transmission failing on these LS460's. The 8-speed is stellar (to drive and own).
Old 03-20-17, 07:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

There are multiple threads on the "lifetime transmission fluid" discussion
Yes..and I was a very vocal poster on those threads lol. I too believe in regular flushes, mostly because my service manual specifically requires it every 96k kms (60k miles).
Old 03-21-17, 09:03 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes..and I was a very vocal poster on those threads lol. I too believe in regular flushes, mostly because my service manual specifically requires it every 96k kms (60k miles).
I think it should be stated once again, that, especially in a car and speaking about metal component's that experience rapid heat-cool cycles hundreds of times over a short time frame; thousands over the course of years, that there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid. Certain fluids are designed for a longer haul, but all lubricating fluids have to be changed.