LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ECU reset - which fuses...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 12:39 AM
sp16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU reset - which fuses...

Hi guys,

I want to do an ECU reset to get the car to re-learn my driving style rather than the previous owners.

I've done a lot of searching and it seems the EFI and ECTS fuse pull is my best option. I have established I have what the manual refers to as a "TYPE B" fuse box, and I think I have worked out the set of fuses I need to pull - see pictures attached.

Has anyone done this before and does it look like I've identified the correct ones?
Attached Thumbnails ECU reset - which fuses...-file_000.jpeg   ECU reset - which fuses...-file_001.jpeg   ECU reset - which fuses...-file_002.jpeg   ECU reset - which fuses...-file_003.jpeg  
Old 02-09-17, 07:04 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What about pulling the battery cables for 30 min.?
Old 02-09-17, 07:32 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sp16
Hi guys,
I want to do an ECU reset to get the car to re-learn my driving style rather than the previous owners.
This is news to me. I wasn't aware that our cars had the ability to learn our driving styles. Exactly what parameters reflecting our driving are stored and used? I thought the engine CPUs were programmed by Lexus according to their research into vehicle driving dynamics, road conditions etc.
Old 02-09-17, 07:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I know this trick works on older vehicles, but my understanding is, that our LS's are constantly re-mapping to your driving style. If you've driven your car for 200 miles or so, it's already adjusted to your driving style. If you're determined to reset, the easiest way is to just disconnect the neg terminal on the battery.
Old 02-09-17, 11:09 AM
sp16
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks I'll just leave it be for now, I put 1200 miles on in the last 4 weeks so I guess it knows me well now
Old 02-09-17, 11:12 AM
sp16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comotiger
This is news to me. I wasn't aware that our cars had the ability to learn our driving styles. Exactly what parameters reflecting our driving are stored and used? I thought the engine CPUs were programmed by Lexus according to their research into vehicle driving dynamics, road conditions etc.
My local dealer said that the car changes shift behaviour and power delivery etc. based on if you drive passively or aggressively as an owner... maybe he was talking a load of rubbish - I sometimes wonder what planet they're on!
Old 02-09-17, 11:48 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I was aware that the new G90, MB S-class and BMW learned your driving style and adjust accordingly. What ever that suppose to mean but I wasn't aware of any LS's doing so.
Old 02-09-17, 11:59 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by sp16
My local dealer said that the car changes shift behaviour and power delivery etc. based on if you drive passively or aggressively as an owner... maybe he was talking a load of rubbish - I sometimes wonder what planet they're on!
Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I was aware that the new G90, MB S-class and BMW learned your driving style and adjust accordingly. What ever that suppose to mean but I wasn't aware of any LS's doing so.
I went on some forums and read that the transmission "learns" to shift differently based on the "heaviness" of the driver's foot on the gas. It is not clear to me whether the engine and steering also change their responsiveness based on the range of driver inputs (over a period of time), and how these are actually implemented.
Old 02-09-17, 02:35 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The LS does it although a bit slower than other cars. One way to test how quickly it adapts is to step on it for one day that you have a few errands to run. You'll notice by your 3rd or 4th trip (short trips, mind you) the car would have re-adjusted to holding revs longer for example - it's very apparent. Funny thing is it "learns" slower (easy gradual take offs for example) driving much quicker than stepping on it.
I'm surprised there's no reset procedure for the LS though? Most cars compound the data to find the happiest medium and sometimes it's better to just start a fresh.
Old 02-11-17, 04:15 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Believe it or not, first I heard about ECU learning was when I purchased ES in 2000!. At that time I was told it primarily uses to manage fuel efficiency based on drivers driving habits such as hard/slow accelerations, braking,, transmission shifting etc.

I am certain that Lexus/Toyota would've advanced that feature on newer models. But not much information from Toyota/Lexus could be found. Since our cars have almost become semi automate, I am sure ECU learning would track speed, wind resistance, rolling resistance, steering etc to predict and adjust fuel and transmission systems and eventually provide a enjoyable driving experience. They could've gone further to integrate with pre-collision system etc.

If more than one person to drive the same car, based on driver seat presets or key cards it could tracked and learnt. It is doing?. I don't know. If any one works or knows someone who works at Toyota/Lexus may be worthwhile trying to find these details.

If I remember correctly, Oliver Enterprise (aka 7milesout) worked at Toyota in design. Jason, any input?

Last edited by satiger; 02-11-17 at 04:23 AM.