LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 LS 460 base stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 07:14 PM
pzhang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 LS 460 base stereo system

is it possible to swap out the stereo unit and replace it with a ML unit of same year model, is it doable? if yes, will it make the sound better? any advise is greatly appreicated!
Old 12-16-16, 09:46 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The base system (10) speakers) and ML (19 speakers) are two different systems. Possible maybe but it wouldn't be worth the time, expense and effort to rip your LS wiring and doors apart to add additional speakers and amps.
Old 12-17-16, 06:36 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

It will sound light years ahead of the base system, but it will require considerable work and expense. FWIW, all the speakers, amp and head unit are available on Ebay for a relatively reasonable sum. Wiring-wise, the wiring I believe is already in place on the vehicle. I say this because I have several unused harnesses behind my ML system, which I assume is for the base system, so I assume the reverse is true for a non-ML system. Speaker wires are probably already in place as well. I would research this further through a search (here and Google).
Old 12-17-16, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

You'd be better off to have an aftermarket system put in, you'd wind up with a better system for far less.
Old 12-18-16, 12:55 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

I would suggest checking into a "high end" car audio shop and see what they have to offer.
Old 12-18-16, 01:39 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Someone suggested to me to install a subwoofer in my base system. The system is absolutely horrible, so perhaps a sub would do something? I'm not into these types of things, so I know next to nothing about car stereos, but someone told me they would install one in my trunk and tie it into my rear speaker for a cheap and easy installation.

Would this be realistic? He said it wouldn't sound as good as tapping into behind the stereo for a signal, but the rear speaker would give me something. I just can't believe how bad the base stereo sounds - I just bought my daughter her first car and her stereo in her 2002 Jeep Liberty sounds ten times better than the one in my LS460?? Unbelievable.
Old 12-18-16, 01:57 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

You can add a amplified sub to any system to give the bass some extra boost (punch). Subs can be located under seats (if you have room) or in the trunk. You can check out Crutchfield.com for some ideas and the installation requires basic wiring skills...... They are very helpful if you call them about your needs.
I installed a Infinity Bass Link in my Dodge Charger and replaced all the speakers with upgraded after market speakers and the system sounds great....... My wife drives the LS and she is happy with the sound so I will keep the stereo system factory, until I "inherit" the car.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 12-18-16 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doublebase (12-18-16)
Old 12-18-16, 04:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A sub would help, I've been told the same thing and have considered it.

I wouldn't call it horrible, but it's not great. Oddly the base audio in my GS was better.
Old 12-18-16, 06:46 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
A sub would help, I've been told the same thing and have considered it.

I wouldn't call it horrible, but it's not great. Oddly the base audio in my GS was better.
You have the base stereo in your LS? I don't see many people with it, yours must sound better than mine, mine is pretty bad. When I first got the car I couldn't believe my ears...thought I could tune it enough to make it passable, but there's not much you can do. I seriously am considering installing a sub...looked on crutchfield's website, found a self powered amp that may fit under my seat. Might give it a try...install doesn't look crazy. I just don't want to go through the trouble if it isn't going to make a big difference.
Old 12-18-16, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah mines the base stereo. They're more common in newer models.

What sounds bad to you could very well sound fine to me lol
Old 12-18-16, 07:36 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the base system and it sounds fine to me. Of course I'm no audiophile who listens to Beethoven, but it's better than the top-shelf Bose I had my RL.

Granted I never heard the ML, so ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-19-16, 12:09 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Someone suggested to me to install a subwoofer in my base system. The system is absolutely horrible, so perhaps a sub would do something? I'm not into these types of things, so I know next to nothing about car stereos, but someone told me they would install one in my trunk and tie it into my rear speaker for a cheap and easy installation.

Would this be realistic? He said it wouldn't sound as good as tapping into behind the stereo for a signal, but the rear speaker would give me something. I just can't believe how bad the base stereo sounds - I just bought my daughter her first car and her stereo in her 2002 Jeep Liberty sounds ten times better than the one in my LS460?? Unbelievable.
I installed 2x12 subwoofers in my 03 ls430, and it became a really amazing system with just that alone

As long as your base system has half decent high notes and tweeters , adding a subwoofer set up will be a perfect match.

As for me I'm still unsure if I have the ML system or the base system in my 08 L

I don't see mark levinson written anywhere so I must have the base, but I would of thought it would be standard on any "L"
Old 12-19-16, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It would say Mark Levinson in the center above the button strip if it had ML

it would also have it on the speaker grilles on the doors.
Old 12-19-16, 07:24 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Installing a Amplified Sub along with "tweaking" the EQ would be my first step rather than replacing the factory system. I am NOT a high end audiophile but I just sat in the 2012 LS with a factory base system and it does not sound "that bad" where I would go through the trouble of replacing the system......... True! it lacks the deep bass "punch" that some owners want, but that can be resolved with a amplified sub woofer located in the trunk.
Keep in mind that some ML owners have reported problems with their ML systems (amps and head) and the repairs are pricey.
Old 12-19-16, 09:25 AM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In terms of high end audio, lots of people don't care and can't hear a difference comparing to low end system. Fewer customers push the high end audio into a dying business and get ever more expensive to cover business cost

My audio system at home cost 60k+, I think all the base audio system in Japanese cars are crap. The ml system in 430 sounds cleaner than 460

Quick Reply: 2012 LS 460 base stereo system