LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Great opportunity or something else on an 08 ls 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 04:50 PM
Jwham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great opportunity or something else on an 08 ls 460

last week I got an opportunity to purchase a 2008 ls 460 from a family member for what they would have gotten from the dealership in trade value, somewhere around 9k. The car was bought new by that person and driven about 30 miles each way in the highway back and forth to work. They never took it on trips and it almost always had the driver and nobody else in it. No kids, no pets, etc. the car has 130,000 miles and a few very minor dings from normal use. It has been well maintained at the dealership it was bought from. I currently drive a 2011 328i with 62500 miles that I bought through the cpo program at BMW. I view it as an upgrade to to buy the ls 460 for a low price but am very happy and just want any opinions on this move to make sure I am thinking about it correctly. I am a big boy so this will in no way affect my relationship with the person selling me the car. I think it is a no brained and probably the only shot I will get to buy this great car at an amazing price. I have been stalking the forum and any other info on the ls 460 I can find, but thought I might as well go straight to the source to people who drive and maintain these cars. Thank you in advance for any advice!
Old 12-12-16, 05:38 PM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Seems like a very good deal, based not only on the price but also that you know the owner, its use and its service history. Since you have been trolling around you know there are just a few areas that seems to affect every LS eventually, The miles dont scare me as several have alot moe miles that what this one has. It is a Toyota vehicle, and I have three other Toyotas in my family and all have over 200K on them and run flawlessly. BMW's on the other hand - well, I have never owned one but know a good friend who was always having to fix something and never trusted it as it had about 100K on it, needless to say it is long gone and now drives a Hyundia. So, if you NEED another car for whatever reason, I'd have it inspected to minimize any unecessary surprises should you choose to buy it. I have had my 08L since March 16 and smile EVERY single time I get it it, absolutely the best for road trips ( taken two 1200+ mile trips so far), get about 31 mpg on the highway. I actually sold a pristine 2012 Camry SE and stepped UP to an 08 (in my opinoin at tleast). Thats my .02.........
The following users liked this post:
Jwham (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 06:56 AM
Jwham
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the insight, just trying to make sure I am thinking about this correctly. Selling a low mileage, newer car and moving into an older ls 460 with twice as many miles. I think it makes sense because of the price but somebody may scare me off.
Old 12-13-16, 07:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

9K is one hell of a price for such a vehicle, even with the amount of miles.
Doublebase, a regular contributor in these parts, drives about 600 miles a week (I think) in his either 07 or 08, and has only done a few things to it himself.
Though the car is a great one its not completely flawless and it will has some issues.
My question to you is this: Do you consider yourself handy/mechanically inclined? Do you mind doing work on cars?
This question isn't served to scare you, but to gauge or assess your ability and/or willingness to fix things if in fact they go wrong.
Even with that being said, the car is quite easy to work on, and what I love about doing things to it regarding repairs, is that it is pretty straight forward and you don't need any special tools (normally).
You've been trolling so I wont get redundant here, but check for the:

Control Arms (a topic vastly discussed as well as solutions provided)
Water Pump (Easy DIY)
Brake Actuator (Extended warranty from Lexus)
ML Amp (if you have ML, ~$700 for fix, around $3-400 ebay)
Fuel Gasket Recall
Does the car have Air Suspension or springs?
Check brake pad thickness as not to trip the pad sensors (even if you do, part can be purchased via ebay)
Trans/Brake/Diff fluid changes

Im sure others will chime in, but for the most part the car is solid.
Perform due diligence and im sure you'll be perfectly fine.
Keep us informed and good luck!
Old 12-13-16, 08:04 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Indeed a great price. Seems like a no-brainer of it's the car you want. Being a former jilted BMW owner, I'd be all over this deal.
Jwham (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 08:19 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

That is one heck of a deal indeed. Getting a complete accounting of the service history would be paramount to me. At least the stuff done by Lexus can be found out with nothing more than a VIN and email addy.
And it would actually had been better if they constantly took it on trips as opposed to primarily city miles.

Do bear in mind that a car dealers primary profit center is used cars followed closely behind the service department. The amount made off of new cars is surprising small. If the dents and whatnot were easily PDRable (pointless dent repair), you are looking at a $13,000 at a lot provided no major accident history.
Jwham (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 08:20 AM
Jwham
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! Car doesn't appear to have air suspension, does have Levinson audio. I will get the service records from owner and see if recalls have been done, control arms etc. here are the pics I have so far.

Last edited by Jwham; 12-13-16 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 12-13-16, 08:24 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

That looks killer. Just get the VIN. And from there go to Lexus's Lexus Drivers website and enter the VIN. It will provide you with a complete history of everything done there. If particularly close to the seller, I suppose you could also call their Service Advisor and get his input too.

Provided it has been dealer serviced throughout, it really sounds like it would be all but impossible to lose as you would be purchasing it wholesale. The air suspension is of minor concern that would be greatly diminished provided one or more of the shocks had been replaced.
Jwham (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 10:18 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Great looking car the leather looks immaculate, congrats on an awesome buy!
Old 12-14-16, 06:13 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Jwham, the only concern would be driving dynamics. The 328 handles one way and the LS as shipped is setup for absorbing harsh roads. If you can deal with the switch it's a great buy
Old 12-14-16, 06:14 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Enjoy . Very nice car !!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-16, 07:46 AM
Jwham
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everybody for the feedback and information. I am catching a flight first thing in the am to pick the car up and will have a 10 hour drive back. Should give me plenty of time to get a feel for the ride and find all of the buttons. Once back I plan to have it checked out at a service center that specializes in lexus only. If anybody has any additional insights as to what I should be on the lookout for or anything else please let me know. I am learning as I go.
Old 12-14-16, 11:42 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Enjoy the long comfortable ride back and that will tell you a lot about your LS.